anyone know what this is? (1 Viewer)

sdwarf36

Nitro Member
We saw this in the pits at E-town. Also saw it in the background at Norwalk on TV. It has 3 big slicks+small block Chevy motor. Power to the wheels was via hydraulic pump. It was on a NHRA trailer. Any clue what it is?
DropShots.com

Based on the hand cranked foot mounted wheels front and rear, I'd say it has something to do with surfacing the track but I have no knowledge of it's actual application.
Looks like drying, surfacing, grinding, cleaning blowing or something is it's function. I'm rather interested to know the actual answer now.

Last edited:
It may be the chassis for the Chevy Cobalt that will win the next 20 out of 24 "Best Engineered" awards by the NHRA Tech guys.

Sorry Dany G.

I know it's not the "Zamboni" - see Hockey- that NHRA debued at Vegas a few years back that upon its first oildown assignment proceeded to HIT THE GUARDRAIL just past the tunnel right in front of the crew & "VIP" stand.

I have never seen it in use at a national event but I have seen it being used at several preseason test sessions when they really need to get some rubber on the track.

1-3.jpg

It looks like a newer version of the Track Prep / Rubber applicator designed at Bandimire Speedway.

Same idea, tractor mounted, hyd driven slicks that turn backwards of the direction of the tractor. The Denver one worked relly well.

They showed this on a broadcast not too long ago.
Told it's name and everything. It may have been at the end of last season, or the start of this season, but I remember recently seeing it, and seeing it mentioned.

The application mentioned is of course correct.

DLB

It is basically a track drag on nitro/steroids. If you watch track prep, they usually spray and then drag to lay down a layer of rubber. That machine rotates the slicks backwards on the track under pressure and is like doing a major burnout the whole way down the track. Saves time and usually puts down a nice layer of rubber.

It looks like a newer version of the Track Prep / Rubber applicator designed at Bandimire Speedway.

Same idea, tractor mounted, hyd driven slicks that turn backwards of the direction of the tractor. The Denver one worked relly well.
When I first saw that thing, I wondered why they didn't try to copy the Bandimere machine. It (the Bandimere piece) is on the back of the sweeper tractor and it does a better job of applying new rubber to the racing surface than dragging straps of old slicks on the strip. The Bandimere piece is also four slicks wide, where I think the NHRA machine is only three wide. ...both are better than chaining a tractor tire to a pickup truck bumper and dragging it up and down the track. Sometimes I miss Scribner! ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back