Short 1971 OCIR video, shows Joint Venture (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
This is from OCIR 1971. Shows the OCIR roller starters in the pits and some cars you all know. Last par of video shows S & L Joint Venture, driven by Larry Sutton. This is the first time I've seen video of the roller starters. I usta go watch the cars fire up on the rollers and drive away to a pit area. I think the starters used a small block Chevy for power and it was one car at a time. When Lions had roller starters, they could fire 2 cars at a time.

This is from OCIR 1971. Shows the OCIR roller starters in the pits and some cars you all know. Last par of video shows S & L Joint Venture, driven by Larry Sutton. This is the first time I've seen video of the roller starters. I usta go watch the cars fire up on the rollers and drive away to a pit area. I think the starters used a small block Chevy for power and it was one car at a time. When Lions had roller starters, they could fire 2 cars at a time.
Cliff, what video, you need to post it, so we can watch it. Is this what you are talking about?

Yes, that's the video. Thanks Jim. Don't know why it didn't post. I have Cox Cable and they just changed their e mail stuff, so maybe I'll blame it on them. arghhhhhhhhhhh

As cool as those roller starters were back in the day, I’m sure glad they are no longer used.
But, seeing those legendary cars in action was great.
Thanks for the video.

Thank you Jim for posting it for me. Man, I have sooooo many memories of San Fernando, Lions, Irwindale, OCIR..... I moved to AZ in 1981 and have been going to the drags here longer than I went in SoCalif. Old Tucson Dragway, New Tucson, Speed World (RIP) and Firebird / Wild Horse. Lotta memories here too. Tony Shumacher ran first 330 speed at Firebird. Saw Shirley make her comeback at Firebird & I think she won her last race at Firebird. And yeah, Firebird always reminded me of OCIR, cuz kinda had the same lay out. Too bad they couldn't have saved the OCIR tower and moved it to Phx.

Has Larry ever written an article - or posted here - the story of how he went from a starter to a T/F driver and team owner? I would sure like to read all about that.

Has Larry ever written an article - or posted here - the story of how he went from a starter to a T/F driver and team owner? I would sure like to read all about that.
Jon
It is a very long story, but if you have the time Google Drag Racing the Golden Era. Randy Harple did a nice 1.25 hour interview with me. you will see every thing from day one of my drag racing including the complete story of the Garlits explosion. Jon I have been asked many too right a book. and I said sorry no it would be X rated.😁
if you go to the site look for featured interviews an scroll to march 2022. I think you will like it an there also some funny shit in it also.
:Larry Sutton---Lions Starter🤠

Jon
It is a very long story, but if you have the time Google Drag Racing the Golden Era. Randy Harple did a nice 1.25 hour interview with me. you will see every thing from day one of my drag racing including the complete story of the Garlits explosion. Jon I have been asked many too right a book. and I said sorry no it would be X rated.😁
if you go to the site look for featured interviews an scroll to march 2022. I think you will like it an there also some funny shit in it also.
:Larry Sutton---Lions Starter🤠

Thanks, Larry. That sounds like a real interesting interview. I will watch it sometime this week when I get a chance.

I watched that interview. One thing Larry talked about was the Herm Petersen crash at OCIR. I saw that crash, Herm was in his rear engined car. He got burned really bad and that shocked a lot of people at the time. I think everyone thought the driver would never get burned in a rear engined car. But in this case, the fire went into the cockpit and burned Herm. I don't remember if some rules were put in place for driver safety after that, but that might have been the case. None of us knew how bad Herm got hurt but he flashed the V for Victory sign as they pulled him out of the car. Wow.... long time ago but things like that stay in your memory. Herm coming back in that "can am" car. I loved that car , but it was too heavy.

One other thing, Larry talked about Jeb Allen getting his license in T/F. I do remember that Jeb started his license process with the front motor car. The Allen family built a new back motor car ( a Woody?) and that is what Jeb finished his license with. I wonder how many other drivers did that? Not many.... I did see Jeb at Lions get his license in the back motor car.

I watched that interview. One thing Larry talked about was the Herm Petersen crash at OCIR. I saw that crash, Herm was in his rear engined car. He got burned really bad and that shocked a lot of people at the time. I think everyone thought the driver would never get burned in a rear engined car. But in this case, the fire went into the cockpit and burned Herm. I don't remember if some rules were put in place for driver safety after that, but that might have been the case. None of us knew how bad Herm got hurt but he flashed the V for Victory sign as they pulled him out of the car. Wow.... long time ago but things like that stay in your memory. Herm coming back in that "can am" car. I loved that car , but it was too heavy.

One other thing, Larry talked about Jeb Allen getting his license in T/F. I do remember that Jeb started his license process with the front motor car. The Allen family built a new back motor car ( a Woody?) and that is what Jeb finished his license with. I wonder how many other drivers did that? Not many.... I did see Jeb at Lions get his license in the back motor car.
Cliff
I hope you enjoyed the interview. I was with Herm and John Stewart that day, but during the run I was standing at the short gate right where he came to a stop. I was the first one to Herm, but with out a fire extinguisher (that is another story) . the fire was caused due to a flip top gas cap. the rules were changed the next week. a screw on cap or a strap over the cap was required. then everyone went to screw on. Cliff I don't thank many people realize just how bad Herm was injured I Do. He went through hell. No one I know of could have gone through what he did.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter🤠

Last edited:
Cliff
I hope you enjoyed the interview. I was with Herm and John Stewart that day, but during the run I was standing at the short gate right where he came to a stop. I was the first one to Herm, but with out a fire extinguisher (that is another story) . the fire was caused due to a flip top gas cap. the rules were changed the next week. a screw on cap or a strap over the cap was required. then everyone went to screw on. Cliff I don't thank many people realize just how bad Herm was injured I Do. He went through hell. No one I know of could have gone through what he did.
I was there too, ran down the track from the starting line was there with bill carter on the line, if I remember right his eyes were saved by glasses he had on

I was there too, ran down the track from the starting line was there with bill carter on the line, if I remember right his eyes were saved by glasses he had on
Mark
You are correct, I removed his glasses they did save his eyes. Herm had them made at the optometrist that his mother worked at, (small granny type) the visor had melted into the opening of the helmet. had it not been for the glasses, damn (no comment)

Mark
You are correct, I removed his glasses they did save his eyes. Herm had them made at the optometrist that his mother worked at, (small granny type) the visor had melted into the opening of the helmet. had it not been for the glasses, damn (no comment)
I remember his face was very dark except for were the glasses were, I don’t think anybody at the time realized the need for fireproof face protection, I was only 15 then and I never forgot the how important fire safety was and always tried to were the best protective gear when I drove

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back