Topeka event - any tips? (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
I'm thinking about going to HPT for this year's Powerade weekend. Any local insight would be appreciated. Hotels, restaraunts, routes, parking, etc?? I'll probably drive out I-70 from Colorado.

Don't listen to Jerrod, Chris..Topeka puts on a good show..and that time of year is fast.

As far as tips..I always bring a cooler with food/beer to compensate for the high prices there..

Haven't been there in a couple years but you used to be able to go by the main entrance and there's another just down the road..no lines. Always a good walk from the parking lot to facility.

I-70 is a straight shot to Topeka. Wanamaker is one of the first exits you'll come to from the west, and it is also packed with hotels, restaurants and shopping. There are also hotels downtown and on Fairlawn and Topeka Blvd that are convenient to HPT, but the only hotel that is really close to the track is a new (2-years-old) Super 8 on south Topeka Blvd.

You can get to the track going south on Topeka Blvd, or you can take US 75 south to 77th street and head east.

Wear your good walking shoes, the facility is spread out -- they paved something like 23 acres last year, in addition to what was already paved.

I like Heartland Park, have been there at least once a year every year since 1995. :)

You must go to the Blind Tiger, it is a micro-brewery/resturant. The prime rib is mesquite wood grilled. It is by far the best ever! :cool:

Straight North of the track a couple of miles, then back to the East 1-block.

Rapid

Chris, yes the food/drink prices are typical NHRA. But there is no parking price-gouging like at so many other tracks. At HPT, parking is free. It is a good walk from parking lots to seats. If you want General Admission seating, it is also a long walk to the pits as GA is all on the west side, the pits on the east side. Definitely bring your most comfy shoes.
If you want the closest seats to the action, sit in V.I.P. reserved rows 1-3. You are angled looking down the track right by the burnout box and (usually) don't have a lot of people standing to block your view.
If you want the closest seats to the pits, sit in 'Pit Side Reserved'. These seats are at about the 700 foot mark on the track. The main pit areas are right behind you.
Don't forget sunscreen. The new HPT ownership is planting trees and building shaded picnic areas, but the high sun in June in Kansas can be as brutal as Bandimere at 5800 feet.

Restaurants-Pat's Pig just north of HPT a couple miles on Topeka Blvd is a true racers hangout. Nothing fancy but great Bar-B-Q and sightings of H. Will's team, R. Capps team, T.Johnson Jr's team, the Safety Safari etc etc are common especially early in the weekend.
Lots of other restaurants out at I-470 and Wannamaker, lots of motels in this area too. Topeka does book solid in advance of the Nationals being a smaller town, so get your room(s) early.

Hope this helps!

Definately wear your walking shoes! I've been every year since the track opened. Others have mentioned resturants, so I won't go there. Lodging does fill up very quick. Friday qualifying under the lights is a really good show!

I went to Topeka and it's the Least Fan Friendly Track I've been too. You sit Pit side and the Suns Blaring in your face, you sit on the Other side your about a 1/2 mile walk to the Pits! Anybody building a New Dragstrip should visit HPT to see how NOT to design a track!:confused:

I agree. Also unless you are sitting on the starting line, the reserved seats on the pitside are really far away from the track.

Hi, Chris,

Being a Div 5 Super Gas racer I get there quite a bit--they rent golf carts for $75 a day, and if you don't have transportation there--get 2 or 3 folks together and split the rent. It's well worth it. It IS a long long way from the "good" seats to the pits, but as I prefer the 1000' bleachers, they are very close to the comp and pro stock pits and just down the hill from the fuel pits.

Pat's Pig (Baldwin's BBQ) is a MUST--reasonably priced food, good food and lots of it. Some really neat memorabilia, and you almost always will run into a top level team eating there after time trials esp Friday night. Lots of fun.

As for lodging, there are a bunch of hotels about 3 miles north of the track on 75 but they fill up fast so reserve early. Topeka Chamber of Commerce can help.

If you are not looking for deluxe accomodations (we never are when we race) the Raceway Inn is very close to the track (golf cart driving distance). It's not fancy, just a bed and a shower, but it is convenient. It's a converted barracks just on the south edge of Forbes Field. PM me if you want the contact info.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back