Top Fuel bikes (3 Viewers)

Mike

Nitro Member
How many top fuel motorcycles (like Larry McBride's bike) are there currently competing in North America? Wouldn't it be nice if NHRA would actually sanction this class?

I think I counted approx 8 in Australia and 14 in Europe.

If all of them showed up at a single event, probably about 6. Even if they did sanction the class, the guys that have them can't afford all of the travel and the expense of running them more than a couple of times a year.

It would have to be an IHRA type deal, an invitational with guaranteed money.

In Australia we currently have four - Jay Upton, Chris Matheson, Leonard Azzapardi and Phil Parker. There are a few more out there, but they don't really run. In Australia at the moment there are not a lot of fuel bike rounds at all. There should have been one this weekend, however the track changed the line up.

Hogan/Alwine/Dryden are returning this year, along with Sam Wills. Both bikes will be ones to watch out for. You also have Chris Hand and of course Larry McBride.

Geoff Pollard from Canada will be returning this season.

Like Jay alluded to, if they did sanction a class, it would cost them a lot of money and not all the racers could afford it. The manufacturer's cup is possibly extending to three events this year, with one of the events rumored to take place at Indy (Not at the US Nationals) I've been told that McBride, Hogan/Alwine/Dryden get better money running exhibition passes...

Here is a video that may interest you...

THE MTC TRADE SHOW VIDEO - YouTube

Regards,

Mike.

Last edited:
Yes, we had 14 starters in the European Top Fuel Bike Championship for 2011. Same with costs here though, only one team ran all 7 races, and 5 teams ran 4 races or more. But in all it looks good with new bikes showing up this year and maybe a visit to the US from a Euro team or two.

Mike, how much does Leonard Azzopardi race his Top Bike?

Regards
PiPPi

I remember when TF bikes were part of the NHRA show, long ago before they were replaced with Pro Stock bikes. They put on a wild show, Russ Collins, Vance & Hines, Bo O'Brochta, and others.

Mike, how much does Leonard Azzopardi race his Top Bike?

Regards
PiPPi

Pippi,

He hasn't raced a round for a couple of seasons now, but he was out testing the bike a month ago. I would expect him to race the next round in Sydney in May. That bike as you very well know has a lot of potential. I still have a fond memory of watching him run a 6.10 at Santa Pod on a solo in 05, or maybe it was 06. Not the best the bike had run, but the quickest I got to see it in person. Awesome stuff.

Larrys new bike is almost done. I haven't ask him if he is going to sell the old one. Sam has beed building his for several years now, but I hear the motors are now build built, so it should be close.

He hasn't raced a round for a couple of seasons now, but he was out testing the bike a month ago. I would expect him to race the next round in Sydney in May. That bike as you very well know has a lot of potential. I still have a fond memory of watching him run a 6.10 at Santa Pod on a solo in 05, or maybe it was 06. Not the best the bike had run, but the quickest I got to see it in person. Awesome stuff.
Thanks Mike, and a small world indeed: that 6.10 was run in the Top Fuel Bike final at the Main Event 2006. That was the first time I did live bike commentary at Santa Pod.

Regards
PiPPi

I remember when TF bikes were part of the NHRA show, long ago before they were replaced with Pro Stock bikes. They put on a wild show, Russ Collins, Vance & Hines, Bo O'Brochta, and others.

NHRA pulled the Top Fuel bikes in 1984-85? Elmer Trett had an accident on the Starting line at Indy, not sure of the details! I'm sure Jay Eshbach nows more about it, but NHRA banned them for about 10 years because of it!

NHRA pulled the Top Fuel bikes in 1984-85? Elmer Trett had an accident on the Starting line at Indy, not sure of the details!
Elmer Tretts accident happened during an exhibition run at the US Nationals 1996, same weekend as Blaine Johnsons crash. Elmer Trett came off the bike after the finish line.

Regards
PiPPi

Could be William, maybe for a short time. It's been quite awhile. Now that I think of it, I remember being at Indy in the early '80s, and they had Funny Bikes in addition to TF bikes. George Bryce was actually riding back then. My dad tinkered with some fast street bikes in the '70s & '80s, and we actually knew a couple guys that ran Funny Bike at Indy, Jay may remember one of them: Eraldo Ferracci. Ferracci (sp) went on to run a factory road race team for Ducati.

Par....I was at Indy when ELmer was killed! Talkin 1984-85?

Indy 1996:( I was on the starting line at E-town when he ran an exhibition pass in 1994. First time seeing a TF bike going down track from behind; it was amazing how hard he worked to keep that thing in his lane. Also one of the most intense nitro clouds I have ever experienced. R.I.P. Mr Trett

Last edited:
We have clearly established Elmer passed at indy 96'

Joe is asking what happened in the 80's for NHRA to ban them for awhile.... Great googly moogly...

Nothing smells as good as burning nitro. even from 2 cylnders!
Four cylinders ain't bad either :)

And as far as sound, a high strung in-line four cylinder super charged engine on nitromethane is very hard to beat AFAIC.

Regards
PiPPi

Last edited:
Did you know....(In my best Bob Frey impersination) that Elmer Trett and Jim Head were best buds? :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back