Top Fuel bikes (2 Viewers)

Holy crap, when did they start shooting nitro flames out of the top of them? Last I saw a TF bike was 1998 (night time) and there were no flames...

And the video of them carrying the front wheel all the way to just before the lights, crazy!

Wish they would run these over PSB

Holy crap, when did they start shooting nitro flames out of the top of them? Last I saw a TF bike was 1998 (night time) and there were no flames...

And the video of them carrying the front wheel all the way to just before the lights, crazy!

Hey Nick,

For quite sometime they have, I remember my friends fuel bike in 1990 use to produce some header flames. Elmer use to have a real nice fluffy flame that stood high. I have footage on video of a run he made at Richmond VA in 96, I still get excited every time I watch it. Soon as he launches massive header flame out the back, straight up in smoke, back on it, back up in smoke all the way down the track. It looked so damn cool!! One day ill figure how to convert my video's and upload them.

Regards,

Mike.

Back in the early 90's at a Prostar race at Atco, they asked for a couple of volunteers to watch Top Fuel from the big end-to make sure nobody was "flying the lights". ( have the front tire in the air + miss the MPH light 66 ft out-then drop it before the finish line-giving a crazy high mph number)
OMG-I had plenty of respect for them as it was--but to see the ballet they have to do to keep the bike going in the right direction could be seen in full as I was standing next to the wall at the line. You can't steer with the bars-the wheel is in the air. And you can't really weight the pegs because they are so far back. They are putting their whole upper body off the bike to one side or the other to direct it. Two skateboard wheels in the back + a growing slick changing size + shape-and they are acting as a sail to correct it. :eek:

I watched Korry Hogan come off of his bike at 246mph last year, literally right in front of me. If you look in the video, you can see a funny car on the return road. That was us.

Korry Hogan Top Fuel Motorcycle Crash @ 246 MPH - YouTube

Luckily Korry was not hurt, save for some bad road rash in a couple unfriendly places. Stuff like this is part of the reason you don't see a lot of TF bikes around. It takes a special mindset and a large set of "attachments" to get on one of these. That being said, the fans absolutely love these bikes, and I would love to see them come back to National Events on an exhibition basis.

I can't even begin to imagine what it would have been like being there that day. When I got the news of Blaine's crash that hurt a lot. A few days later I received the news about Elmer on my way to school, it knocked the wind out of my sails. I still remember walking to school with tears streaming. I got to my science class and sat at the back of the room with my head down... I didn't even want to be there.

Elmer sure left us with a lot of great/awesome memories though. There is a book coming out soon, and I recommend everyone check it out, it will no doubt be an excellent read...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elmer-Trett-and-the-Gods-of-Thunder/177946502237025 :)

Mike.

About 2-3 hours before Elmer's last run, I found his pit. pretty simple, just a Motorhome and his Trailer, pretty simple! I met Gina, told her I had never seen Elmer run till the night before, brought and shut off. My first impression of Elmer was he didn't look like a Bike racer! He looks more like an engineer or something!

Even the unblown V Twin nitro bikes are making big flame.
malloy.jpg

joey2.jpg

Last edited:
I watched Korry Hogan come off of his bike at 246mph last year, literally right in front of me. If you look in the video, you can see a funny car on the return road. That was us.

Korry Hogan Top Fuel Motorcycle Crash @ 246 MPH - YouTube

Luckily Korry was not hurt, save for some bad road rash in a couple unfriendly places. Stuff like this is part of the reason you don't see a lot of TF bikes around. It takes a special mindset and a large set of "attachments" to get on one of these. That being said, the fans absolutely love these bikes, and I would love to see them come back to National Events on an exhibition basis.

Sucks from the fans point of view, scoreboard blocked most of that!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back