Top Fuel bikes (1 Viewer)

Did you know....(In my best Bob Frey impersination) that Elmer Trett and Jim Head were best buds? :)

Yep :) and Jim learn't a lot from Elmer. It's sad that some Drag Racing fans don't realize just how smart Elmer was. One of the great nitro tuners of all time.

Four cylinders ain't bad either :)

And as far as sound, a high strung in-line four cylinder super charged engine on nitromethane is very hard to beat AFAIC.

Regards
PiPPi

Very true mate :)

I remember the first time I heard Charlie Karling's bike fire up here in Australia... Such a sweet sound. Pers 'The Beast' is another with a nice sound to it, and boy does it thump your chest when it comes to the line. Jaska's bike, well that is something special too.

One of the most difficult things to do is burn nitro at high RPM. Nitro is such a slow burning fuel. that when you reduce the time allocated for it to burn you have an problem.

When NHRA instigated the rear gear rule in the fuelers, it meant that in order to faster, one would have to wind the motor tighter.

It was at this point that Jim Head and several others contacted Elmer, because he had figured out how to do it.

When Elmer was killed, Jim send his plane down to Georgia to pick up Elmers daughter Kelly and her husband and bring them back up to Indy.

The Winston people had a huge suite at the Omni hotel, and everyone moved out of it and Winston gave it to the Trett family the use.

Jim Head then flew his plane out to California for Blaines funeral then back to Georgia for Elmers.

I have been at a drag strip since I was born. In my 31 years on this earth, I have seen a million passes and the one that stands out the most to me I can remember like yesterday.

Houston Raceway Park. Baytown, TX. Oct 30, 1999. Larry "Spiderman" McBride. I had seen top fuel bikes before, but nothing like this. He left the starting line and carried the front wheel to the 1000 ft mark, had a 3 foot flame shooting out his azz it looked like, and then the numbers popped up on the scoreboard. 5.993 243.68. I remember the starting line guys going crazy, including Alan Johnson and the Winston team and the Star Racing guys.

I just thought, this guy is completely nuts.

I have been at a drag strip since I was born. In my 31 years on this earth, I have seen a million passes and the one that stands out the most to me I can remember like yesterday.

Houston Raceway Park. Baytown, TX. Oct 30, 1999. Larry "Spiderman" McBride. I had seen top fuel bikes before, but nothing like this. He left the starting line and carried the front wheel to the 1000 ft mark, had a 3 foot flame shooting out his azz it looked like, and then the numbers popped up on the scoreboard. 5.993 243.68. I remember the starting line guys going crazy, including Alan Johnson and the Winston team and the Star Racing guys.

I just thought, this guy is completely nuts.

Will never forget that. And a year later he ran 5.88?

There was a fatal top fuel bike wreck at Indy in ’79. The design of the turnout rail just past the finish line made the guy basically hit the rail head-on. After that, I always turned my back whenever the fuel bikes ran that weekend. Those things were insane. I just did not want to see something like that again.
Speaking of the design of Indy’s turnouts, I never could understand why NHRA did not change them, especially after that bike wreck.
Blaine Johnson hit the second turnout head on. It was after his death that NHRA changed the layout.

When Elmer came off the bike, he too hit that part of the wall that was like 45 degrees from the track. If it had been a solid wall, he would have glanced off and be alive today.

The rider killed earlier was Ernie Rife

One of the most difficult things to do is burn nitro at high RPM. Nitro is such a slow burning fuel. that when you reduce the time allocated for it to burn you have an problem.

When NHRA instigated the rear gear rule in the fuelers, it meant that in order to faster, one would have to wind the motor tighter.

It was at this point that Jim Head and several others contacted Elmer, because he had figured out how to do it.

When Elmer was killed, Jim send his plane down to Georgia to pick up Elmers daughter Kelly and her husband and bring them back up to Indy.

The Winston people had a huge suite at the Omni hotel, and everyone moved out of it and Winston gave it to the Trett family the use.

Jim Head then flew his plane out to California for Blaines funeral then back to Georgia for Elmers.

One could only imagine how many of today's Tuning ideas in Today's TF/FC's came off of Elmer's TF Bikes over the years!

Yes sir he did. I would love to see him come back and make an exhibition run again.

Funny you should mention that. Just got my "SUMMIT MOTOR SPORTS PARK"
(Norwalk Ohio) 2012 season brochure. Their NIGHT UNDER FIRE show Sat. Aug. 11 lists Larry McBride TOP FUEL BIKE as part of the show, along with : 6 Nitro Funnies-
4-jet dragsters- Bob Motz jet Kenworth......ect.

(see) Night at Summit Motorsports Park - Norwalk Ohio They say he holds the 1/4mi ET record at 5.74 at 240mph

Last edited:
Larry-McBride-35-DRO.jpg

There is a new zealand top fuel bike team that races in australia. I have seen them run and you deffinitly feel it in your chest. The new zealand team I saw even purpose built their own engine.

There is a new zealand top fuel bike team that races in australia. I have seen them run and you deffinitly feel it in your chest. The new zealand team I saw even purpose built their own engine.

That team no longer exists William - which is a shame. Athol Williams was the rider/owner. I recently heard him speak about the possibilities of coming back, but like in America, New Zealand are also struggling in the economic climate, and it has affected Athol. So it may be awhile before he returns. His crew chief Roger (From NZ) tunes the ex Jim Brantley bike - which was out of the Mcbride camp, and has tuned the bike to a best of a 6.05 with Chris Matheson being the rider and owner of the bike.

Regards,

Mike.

There was a fatal top fuel bike wreck at Indy in ’79. The design of the turnout rail just past the finish line made the guy basically hit the rail head-on. After that, I always turned my back whenever the fuel bikes ran that weekend. Those things were insane. I just did not want to see something like that again.
Speaking of the design of Indy’s turnouts, I never could understand why NHRA did not change them, especially after that bike wreck.
Blaine Johnson hit the second turnout head on. It was after his death that NHRA changed the layout.

I remember that vividly... an awful incident.

After Elmer's crash at Indy, nothing was said over the PA or anything with regard to if Elmer was alive or anything! But walkin over to.the Bike pits seeing Larry's brother crying told me what I needed to know! Seeing him all excited at Houston reminded me of that!

I can't even begin to imagine what it would have been like being there that day. When I got the news of Blaine's crash that hurt a lot. A few days later I received the news about Elmer on my way to school, it knocked the wind out of my sails. I still remember walking to school with tears streaming. I got to my science class and sat at the back of the room with my head down... I didn't even want to be there.

Elmer sure left us with a lot of great/awesome memories though. There is a book coming out soon, and I recommend everyone check it out, it will no doubt be an excellent read...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elmer-Trett-and-the-Gods-of-Thunder/177946502237025 :)

Mike.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back