Took an awesome plane ride today (1 Viewer)

TSK

Staff member
Nitro Member
The Commemorative Air Force made a stop this weekend at the old Eaker Air Force Base in Blytheville, Arkansas. They brought a B-29 Super Fortress, a B-24 Liberator and a T-6 trainer. My wife bought me a ride on the B-24 as a birthday present. It was absolutely amazing. The crew was great and let all the passengers (10) move to all the different stations. This meant a lot to me because a very good friend of mine, Frank O'Donnel, was a pilot trainer in Georgia on B-24s during WWII. Frank and his wife lived next door to us. My wife and I went to their house at least three times every week for happy hour in Frank's sunroom. He loved the B-24, and loved reminiscing about it. In December 2005 Frank gave me the wings he earned on August 4, 1944. I put the wings in a shadow box with a small plate engraved with his name, rank and the date he got the wings. Frank passed on April 10, 2006, and I still miss him dearly.
I took the shadow box with me on the plane today. The crew really enjoyed seeing the wings. I keep them on a wall in my man cave.
The flight lasted about 30 minutes. My cheeks are still sore from smiling so much. I couldn't imagine being a 19 year old crawling into that plane to go on a bombing run over Germany, not knowing if I was going to come back. That was truly the Greatest Generation.
And, I have the greatest wife in the world.
DSC_9977.jpeg
DSC_9994.jpeg
DSC_9387.jpeg
DSC_9998.jpeg
CB75CBAD-F260-4BB7-BA72-E3541E0505E5.jpeg

Ted, If you don't think that is Bad Ass? Well, I don't think anything is! Love it!!
Joe, I’m still in awe of actually taking a ride in a WWII era B-24.
The B-24 may not be the sexiest old warbird, when compared to a B-17, but it was a real workhorse. It dropped more ordnance during the war than any other plane.
It was the connection to my late friend, Frank O’Donnel, that makes it a special plane to me.

I never flew in a B-24 but I did walk through one once at a Warbird exhibit. I know what you mean by being a young soldier and walking that narrow catwalk between the bomb doors looking at your target below.

Ted, this is awesome on so many levels. what an opportunity of a lifetime, especially with connection to your friend.
thank you so much for posting this. those old aircraft are amazing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back