To Dave McClelland if you're out there--Thank You! (2 Viewers)

Whenever I hear Dave's voice on the ads during the audiocasts, it brings back a lot of warm memories of both Dave and Steve Evans on the Diamond P programs, I used to watch on the old TNN network. (I still have the season highlights tape for 1989 somewhere. I need to dig that out and transfer it to DVD!)

Here's another longtime fan who appreciates everything you've done for the sport Dave. What makes it special is that you did it for the love of the sport.

You did the voice overs for ads for the Northstar Nats up here in Mn, and afterwards, the on-air talent was in open awe of your style, delivery, and your distictive set of pipes.

I know you're enjoying your retirement, but I don't suppose there's a way you could sit in with Mike during a round or two once in a great while????

(Boy, there'd be a dream team, eh? Mike Dunn and Dave???)

Great thread Terry!

Gotta thank you Dave for all your hard work with Steve back in those days. Your voice truly is NHRA drag racing to many of us. I remember the Sports Cavalcade music would start, there'd be a shot of the track and tower, and then your voice would come on announcing "WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE....." and it would just get my blood pumping. Even with it on tape, I still have to watch the intros!

And for those of us who race, who among us didn't dream of getting interviewed by Steve Evans. (You too though Alan since I used to race in Phoenix) The enthusiasm he brought into those top end interviews truly helped stir my passion for the sport. To this day, one of my favorite "episodes" is when Steve did the Winston All-stars race in Columbus ('88 or so?). For many of those guys it was the first time they got to talk to Steve and the look of joy on those guys' face just made me so envious...ahhh the only thing sweeter than a win, is to win and see Steve pointing at you in the shutdown area.

Thank you Dave and Godspeed Steve.

All I can say is....I agree with everything that has been posted...Dave's voice was / is synonomus with NHRA Drag Racing.You throw Steve Evans in the mix...wow, we probably didn't realise at the time how "Dynamic of a duo" they were. And they didn't wear costumes !...Keep posting Dave , great to read your posts . By the way , have you ever done a book ? Perhaps on your career..I certainly would purchase ...:)

Hey guys,

Hard to find words to respond to your kind posts.

Steve and I had a great time, both of us growing up in the sport...coupled with the opportunity to play a part in its growth.

MaC

Hey BIG Mac ,
Watching Steve & You brings back the memories ('70-'80s) of the Sunday night's "race review" in the NHRA suite.
When I think about the various attendees at those meetings :eek: , , , perhaps a book is a bad idea? Go ahead and get started . The Tharp ,Tarzan, Kuhl , & Grumpy chapters alone will take sometime to write . Give the Manuscript to a grandchild & wait until we are all "with Steve" to let it out.
I guess it could be a movie ,,, most people wouldn't believe it by then anyways. :cool:

To me, DMac will always be the "Voice of Drag Racing"......................
I sure miss Steve Evans' presence on the shows though, I thought he interacted so well with all of the racers, he was part of their lives.

Dave:

I was very pleasantly surprised to hear your voice on the PA at the NEXTEL event at Toyota's Corporate office earlier this week.

Thanks for spending a couple of minutes talking to one of your major fans!!

Stay busy!!!:D :D :D

Growing up and wanting instant results before there was this internet deal, I remember calling the Castrol GTX Hotline. To me Dave, you are the voice of NHRA drag racing and you always will be.

Wow I forgot all about that Hotline. My buddies and I where always broke and so we would get togeather and listen to the Hotline on speaker phone. I think it was only like a dollar a minute but none of us could afford to listen for very long. LOL!

Watched ESPNCL today. It was truly a pleasure to hear those 2 voices again. Dave,my Dad tells me you used to announce at Southland Drags in Houma, La.

Once again, to all, many thanks for the kind words. It is great fun to look back and enjoy what was done 11 years ago.

One thing that strikes me as interesting....if you read the threads on today's forums, they would lead you to believe that explosions, crashes and general mayhem are so much more severe and frequent today than in years past. However, the shows being replayed from '96 tell a different tale. Wow, some real boomers and blowovers. How quickly we forget....or maybe were never there to live it!!!

To Jerry N....you join a chorus of folks inquiring about a book...however, believe it or not...I hate to write. Would rather stand in front of 50 thousand people and talk for 30 minutes on a subject I know nothing about than go through the agony of writing a 60 second commercial. Also, there are numerous stories, while most fascinating, entertaining and REVEALING, are best left to the memories of those who lived them!!!

Rusty, yes your Dad was correct...I did announce at Southland. I was serving as the General Manager of that track from 1969 to 1971 before moving to Dallas International Motor Speedway as VP/GM. Loved Houma, one of the great unknown and under recognized tracks of the era. We had a great time.

Again, thanks to all for posting and hope to have the opportunity to see each of you in person sometime soon.

Stay well.

MaC

Hey Dave--Great to read your reply. I believe you started your career at the old Carlisle drag strip in Arkansas did you not? As the old saying goes "you've come a long way baby!!" Thanks for the wonderful job you have done over the years. I have a good friend here in town who is a RFC chaplin. Alan had the pleasure of meeting you and having a long visit with you at a RFC conference in California. He had many good things to say about you. I have a picture of you from SEMA a few years ago. Saw you getting ready to do a TV spot and as I was taking your picture, you saw me, turned around toward me and gave a big smile and a thumbs up!! Your actions told me you are a great guy. Also good to know that you walk with the Lord.

God Bless!!!

Hi, I haven't posted here in quite some time, but thought some of you might be interested in an interview I did with Dave last year. I realize a lot of you probably read it at the time, but for those who didn't it covers a lot of ground.

Part I: ::: DRO ::: InnerVIEW - Dave McClelland - 10/9/06

Part II: ::: DRO ::: InnerVIEW - Dave McClelland, Part 2 - 11/8/06

And I agree with all the previous comments, Dave and Steve truly were the best and the recent broadcasts prove it beyond doubt. Thanks, Dave!

Ian

Just remind folks that Big Mac has a 48 Fiat-are you still racing it and his son was also racing in either super Gas or Super Comp for a while. Is he still doing so?

Mike W....it is hard to believe how the twists and turns of that road that started at the Carlisle, AR airport drag strip in 1959 has led me to the point I am today. I have exactly the same attitude as Wally Parks when he is asked if he ever had any idea drag racing would grow into what it is. Obviously, his answer unfailingly is, no...no one did.

I have much the same feeling about my announcing career....which slowly grew from a purely fun deal as a hobby into a vocation and remarkable life. It still is fun.

I am proud to have been honored to serve on the RFC Board of Directors for some 15 years...and as the Chairman of that Board for nearly the past 9 years. It is a great organization with a host of remarkable people donating time, money and services to try to make things a bit better in the racing world. I am humbled by the dedication of the Racers for Christ staff and volunteers.

Ian, thanks again for a great translation of all that was said that day in Rockingham. Needless to say, even though it lasted for nearly an hour, we hardly scratched the surface<VBG>. Again my thanks for basically transcribing my words and putting them in print. Kinda like the shows running on ESPN Classic...makes for an interesting look back.

Dave R., I still have the Fiat...it is residing comfortably in the W.P. NHRA Museum. I put it there a couple of years ago as some minor physical difficulties made it slightly uncomfortable to drive and work on. Besides, in the nearly 10 years of racing the car...I had accomplished far more than ever anticipated....running as quick as an 8.65 at over 152 mph....and picking up a Hot Rod Elimintor win at the March Meet in the late 1990's. Not bad for a car that first ran Indy Natls in 1962.

My son Kevin, 3 time Natl. event winner...it still racing in Super Gas and my grandson Dan is racing in both the Summit Bracket series and the High School bracket at Infineon. I think he is currently the points leader in the High School category. Youth will prevail<G>.

Thanks to all for the fond memories and will try to answer questions, if possible.

Stay well, one and all.

MaC

Last year at the ADRL event in Rockingham, I was in the press room doing our race coverage, when in walks the legend himself, Dave Mac!!! While I was in awe listening to that voice & the great stories Dave was telling, he walked over to me, introduced himself, shook my hand, asked my name & who I was with!!

That was an awesome moment for me, Dave is the genuine article & a wonderful gentleman to be around. That weekend was incredible, getting the pleasure of listening to Dave, both on the mike & candidly off the mike!!!

Dave, you are the best there is, was, and ever will be.... A Legend...

Last year at the ADRL event in Rockingham, I was in the press room doing our race coverage, when in walks the legend himself, Dave Mac!!! While I was in awe listening to that voice & the great stories Dave was telling, he walked over to me, introduced himself, shook my hand, asked my name & who I was with!!

That was an awesome moment for me, Dave is the genuine article & a wonderful gentleman to be around. That weekend was incredible, getting the pleasure of listening to Dave, both on the mike & candidly off the mike!!!

Dave, you are the best there is, was, and ever will be.... A Legend...

Isn't it great when someone you admire turns out to be a great person too?

...and to hear Big Mac say, "well, it was just a hobby that turned into a good life." Just amazing. Such great memories and then to find out what a great man he is... PERFECT!!!

It is nice to hear Dave's voice on those Classic episodes. Every time he's on, my wife & I remember when he done a staged interview with L.D. at Indy in 2001. That was when Mac asked me a question then turned the mic my way so I could propose.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back