To Dave McClelland if you're out there--Thank You! (1 Viewer)

Terry

Nitro Member
Like many other racers and fans, I have been religiously dvr-ing the NHRA races on ESPN classic. Last night I watched the 1996 Mile Hi Nats (a race that I was at) and once again had the pleasure to listen to the magic of Big Mac and Steve Evans. I hate to admit it, but I had forgotten how great Dave was at the mike. In the time it took to do a burnout, Dave filled us in on past performances, qualifying info, sponsor changes, things to look for in the run, and personal history of the driver, and still managed to keep us abreast of everything, and I mean everything, going on in the run. That type of coverage cannot come from a monitor in front of an announcer, it can only come from a huge data bank of personal knowledge, and more importantly, a huge passion for the sport itself. I could not help but contrast this terrific coverage with the now-infamous Paul Page deadpan of "Hight goes 4.64" with no knowledge (or care for that matter) that he had just watched history being made before his eyes.

And it just got better. Steve Evans' interviews at the top end were totally devoid of stupid questions, got right to the heart of the matter, and gave the viewers all the info they needed. He was the best at the top end and is sorely missed. And when he gave his signature "back to you in the booth, Big Mac" not only was Dave ready to go, he built on the info Steve had just brought forth.

So in conclusion to this rather long entry, Dave, if you're out there, thanks for the great job on all those shows, thanks for the memories, and thanks to both you and Steve for being instrumental in making our sport what it is today. Your expertise and passion are sadly missing from our broadcasts today, and I can't help but wonder what a great team you and Mike Dunn would make in the booth!

I second this motion! Dave you are truly a treasured and cherished person in all of motorsports. ESPECIALLY right here on Nitromater! Safe to say, there's always room for you, a cold beer, and the porch light is always on here!!!!:)

I really miss the days when Dave & Steve did the broadcasts. Those guys were the ultimate pro's. Now we get Paul page? I like Mike Dunn , he gives us a drivers perspective but Page? ugh. I just cringe when he calls David Grubnic "Grubby".

The voice of the NHRA.

Thank you big mac for gracing us with your talents.

To everyone else, come on out to Bakersfield for the CHRR and hear big mac on the public address system. To hear his voice reverberating thru the property along with the cackling motors at that fabled track is just the best.

Hey guys,

Hard to find words to respond to your kind posts.

Steve and I had a great time, both of us growing up in the sport...coupled with the opportunity to play a part in its growth.

Needless to say, while we worked hard, we had the time of our lives announcing the races and doing the TV shows.

What a joy to be able to look back and realize that the shows were enjoyable and hopefully exciting to watch. When you are doing them week in and week out, you kinda lose track of reviewing them. Fascinating to watch them today.

To all, again, my sincere thanks and hope you enjoy the remaining weeks. I think almost all the remaining shows are prior to 2001.

Take care and stay well.

MaC

While MaC knows my thoughts on him...:D
Cameron Evans is on here quite a bit, and I just want you to know CAM, that your dad made a huge difference in not only my life, but many many others... I always had the dream of being interviewed by Mr. E at the top end, after a great run... Even though that never happened... I think we all would agree that, we ALL thank you for giving up a little bit of time with dad... For the greater good of ALL mankind...
I miss you and Skuza doing your show on TNN...
You both are hilarious, and looked like were having a blast...:D
Peace Bro!!
And it's o.k. to post here ya know...:eek:

dave has one of those voices there are no words for. when you hear daves voice you just think drag racing period! hearing paul page just makes you appreciate dave more and wish he was still in the booth!

Hey guys,

Hard to find words to respond to your kind posts.

Steve and I had a great time, both of us growing up in the sport...coupled with the opportunity to play a part in its growth.

Needless to say, while we worked hard, we had the time of our lives announcing the races and doing the TV shows.

What a joy to be able to look back and realize that the shows were enjoyable and hopefully exciting to watch. When you are doing them week in and week out, you kinda lose track of reviewing them. Fascinating to watch them today.

To all, again, my sincere thanks and hope you enjoy the remaining weeks. I think almost all the remaining shows are prior to 2001.

Take care and stay well.

MaC

Dave,

It it is an honor and a pleasure to be able to "talk" to you via the 'mater! As just a humble Div. 5 super gas racer, I am honored to be able to visit and post on the same board as Dave McClelland! And thanks for your response. You're the best, and and I'm looking forward anxiously to all those pre-2001 shows coming up--we've got another snowstorm headed our way, and I know just how I'll be spending my snowed in days! Take care and thanks from
5072 SG

I was flying out to Indy for the 50th anniversary race and I turned to my wife and said Big Mac is on the plane. She looks at me and says "how do you know?" I said well he may be the back row and he may be whispering but his voice is coming in loud and clear!
I also met Steve in Bakersfield, he was selling his CD under the tower. Of course I got there a few minutes too late and he was sold out. I thought I would get one from him and have him sign it another day, but it never happened.
Man I miss you guys on the mic. I miss Sid Waterman in the booth too.

All I can say is Thank You Dave. I sure miss your voice in NHRA broadcasts. You could hear your love of OUR sport in your voice. I can also echo these thoughts of Steve Evans as well.

Growing up and wanting instant results before there was this internet deal, I remember calling the Castrol GTX Hotline. To me Dave, you are the voice of NHRA drag racing and you always will be.

I really miss hearing Steve Evans and Big Mac. Those shows takes me back to when life was less complicated (no kids, wife or mortgage :p ).
Dave also did a great job at Jeff Krug's memorial service.
Thank you for touching my life in a small way.

I agree, Dave, you are one of the best...

As far as Steve Evans goes, I always think back to one driver, that Steve always had fun with, and I just can't think of anybody else who could interview him the same way....... Kenji Okazaki.

"Steve San!!! I beat a John Foce I beat a John Foce!!!!"

I wanted to drop my 2 cents into this discussion.

The way I view the Dave McClelland/Steve Evans combo is simple. In all sports, you have voices that become stereotyped or synonynous to that sport.....examples;

Monday Night Football - Howard Kosel
Wimbeldon Tennis - Bud Collins
ESPN Sportscenter - Chris Berman
NASCAR - Benny Parsons

and the list goes on and on and on....

Well, I have never watched a televised dragrace since Dave and Steve stopped doing the TNN broadcasts and felt the same quality was put forth. Both of these fine gentlemen had/have such passion for the sport and they let it shin ethrough to the camera and onto the viewers watching.
I truly believe that due to their nature and enthusiasim, they made fans out of non-fans.

Thanks again Dave....I still have 90% of the TNN and ABC broadcasts on VHS tape and watch them while sitting in the motorhome, at the track, enjoying a cold one after raceday....there's just nothing like it!

Thank you also Steve, may you rest in peace.

Quickly....I also think that us "lifer's" were spoiled in our younger years and the bar was just set waaaaaaaaaaaay too high for anyone to meet. Marty Reid has been the only one to get the closest to it since then...how is IRL Marty?

I wanted to drop my 2 cents into this discussion.

The way I view the Dave McClelland/Steve Evans combo is simple. In all sports, you have voices that become stereotyped or synonynous to that sport.....examples;

Monday Night Football - Howard Kosel
Wimbeldon Tennis - Bud Collins
ESPN Sportscenter - Chris Berman
NASCAR - Benny Parsons

and the list goes on and on and on....

Well, I have never watched a televised dragrace since Dave and Steve stopped doing the TNN broadcasts and felt the same quality was put forth. Both of these fine gentlemen had/have such passion for the sport and they let it shin ethrough to the camera and onto the viewers watching.
I truly believe that due to their nature and enthusiasim, they made fans out of non-fans.

Thanks again Dave....I still have 90% of the TNN and ABC broadcasts on VHS tape and watch them while sitting in the motorhome, at the track, enjoying a cold one after raceday....there's just nothing like it!

Thank you also Steve, may you rest in peace.

Quickly....I also think that us "lifer's" were spoiled in our younger years and the bar was just set waaaaaaaaaaaay too high for anyone to meet. Marty Reid has been the only one to get the closest to it since then...how is IRL Marty?

I dont know if I would view drag racing the same were it not for Dave and Steve? I loved those broadcasts and still get a chill when I hear Dave call one of those old broadcasts. I know like many it was always a dream of my fathers to do a top end interview with Steve Evans and he was lucky enough to have that dream come true on a couple occassions including the '93 U.S. Nationals.

As for Marty Reid...IMO he is the best to come along since Dave was in the booth. The combination of him with Mike Dunn was wonderful to listen to and I wish it wasnt all about dollars and cents in todays world or we may still have Marty.

As for Paul Page...Im sure he is a great person but unfortunately I just dont feel he gets the whole drag racing deal. I listen to him call snowmobile races and he almost sounds more in-tune and excited about those than he does with drag racing.

The bar was set very high by Dave and Steve but as is with all things...records and standards are made to be eclipsed. I can only hope that some day we will be lucky enough to land us another pair like the legendary Big Mac and Evans combo!

Thanks for all the great memories Dave and RIP Steve!

Dave to me is the voice of drag racing. When people talk on here about great runs from the past, when I remember it it always include audio from Dave :)

Not only are they greatest Drag race announce team ever but Dave and Steve are among the greats in all of sports announcing.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr McClelland at Indy with my dad (big zappy)
Its not often that I get star struck but I was.

I wish we'd see you behind the mic more often, even if its behind the scenes interviews or something.

Thanks for being the voice of Drag Racing and allowing us to be apart of the action.

Great words by all the previous posters..The voices of Dave and Steve will always be the background music for my earliest memories of drag racing. Great memories........

Those Evans/Mac broadcasts will never be duplicated imo...how could they? I`ve been TiVoing all of the ESPNClassic shows, and it was just too strange watching Steve interview Blaine on `96 Mile-High show, and Blaine talking about how he "looked pretty good" in his new blue/yellow firesuit. I still can`t believe both of them are gone. I`ll probably be a mess watching todays `96 Sonoma event (Blaines last win).

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back