TJ at Reading (1 Viewer)

Let's look at a possibility (almost impossible) for the 2021 F/C Championship. Tommy Johnson Jr. wins the first one in Matt Hagen's car. He wins the next two because of Covid keeping Matt out. Matt earns enough points after he gets back and maybe wins so the championship goes to them. Who is the actual Champion? Is it - 1. Matt Johnson Jr. 2. Tommy Hagen 3. Tommy Johnson Jr. 4. Matt Hagen or the real Champion - DICKIE VENABLES. It looks like he might be able to win with Harvey Tubesteak in the seat:cool:.
Roger, I have to agree with you 100%. So many things wrong with Matt getting the points. Covid or not, the actual driver should get the points. I'm happy for Tommy, but he should get the points, not Matt. He drove for nothing, not that it wouldn't mattered in the count down, but just saying. I hope this at least goes on Tommy's winning record. AND, one other point that I agree with you on, if the "CAR" wins the championship, Dickie should get the trophy and jacket. Just my honest opinion!!!

If Matt wins the championship based on Tommy's performance, then it would be like a boxing match where one fighter has to miss a couple rounds and has a sub fill in, then all the points go to the fighter that originally started the match. That's my problem.

If Tommy Johnson were to drive and gains points and then Hagan returns for the last race and wins the championship I think that as the runner up I would be irate. They say that it was for the safety of the crew and he notified the team before the race. We are lucky he stood up and did that, hat's off to him for doing that . Hopefully he tested positive and isn't sick, I hope that's the case. He could have raced and not told anybody he had tested positive and it would not be a issue as NHRA wouldn't have known and they don't have a Covid policy anyway. Who knows how many racers, crews and spectators at the race had the Covid.
There are a whole lot of people out there that are COVID deniers and I would bet some of them were racers, pit crew, and spectators that are positive and were going through the pits and other places. NOT GOOD!!!

I think the NHRA has made a big mistake making this exception.

Last edited:
If Matt wins the championship based on Tommy's performance, then it would be like a boxing match where one fighter has to miss a couple rounds and has a sub fill in, then all the points go to the fighter that originally started the match. That's my problem.

Respectfully disagree, Boxing is a one on one sport. NHRA Drag Racing is a team sport. And if a quarterback gets hurt (or sick) the "Team" can still play and win with a substitute quarterback. The Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl with Nick Foles. Should the Eagles have forfeited the Championship because Carson Wentz won the regular season games, but couldn't play in the playoffs?

And Terry, you think if he hid the fact that he was positive "It would not be an issue? How about when his whole team gets sick, or all of DSR, would that be an issue? NHRA put the policy in place for just this circumstance. If you get sick, your team won't be penalized by you doing the right thing.

Just my opinion.
Alan

If Tommy Johnson were to drive and gains points and then Hagan returns for the last race and wins the championship I think that as the runner up I would be irate. They say that it was for the safety of the crew and he notified the team before the race. We are lucky he stood up and did that, hat's off to him for doing that . Hopefully he tested positive and isn't sick, I hope that's the case. He could have raced and not told anybody he had tested positive and it would not be a issue as NHRA wouldn't have known and they don't have a Covid policy anyway. Who knows how many racers, crews and spectators at the race had the Covid.
There are a whole lot of people out there that are COVID deniers and I would bet some of them were racers, pit crew, and spectators that are positive and were going through the pits and other places. NOT GOOD!!!

I think the NHRA has made a big mistake making this exception.
Let's say Hagan can't come back except for the last one or more races and in the mean time T.J. keeps racking up enough points for the championship, maybe NHRA would let them share the championship (with Hagans blessing of course) or at least put an asterisk or a side note giving T.J. the recognition he deserves.

I am sure TJ will be well compensated for his performance and it could lead to another ride in the future.

Respectfully disagree, Boxing is a one on one sport. NHRA Drag Racing is a team sport. And if a quarterback gets hurt (or sick) the "Team" can still play and win with a substitute quarterback. The Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl with Nick Foles. Should the Eagles have forfeited the Championship because Carson Wentz won the regular season games, but couldn't play in the playoffs?

And Terry, you think if he hid the fact that he was positive "It would not be an issue? How about when his whole team gets sick, or all of DSR, would that be an issue? NHRA put the policy in place for just this circumstance. If you get sick, your team won't be penalized by you doing the right thing.

Just my opinion.
Alan

I am disappointed with your reply comparing drag racing to football. It's like comparing apples to rocks (I would have said oranges but both apples and oranges both grow on trees). Football has a COVID procedure in place and all players have to be tested at least once weekly. Jimmy Jones the owner of the Dallas Cowboys has mandated that everyone in his employment must be vaccinated or they won't be allowed to work or play. That's from him to the bottom of his organization including those working in his stadium.

In auto racing Lewis Hamilton the #1 driver in Formula 1, which is considered to be the premier auto racing organization, sat out a race because he tested positive. He did NOT get the points his replacement driver earned.
You say the exception was made with the safety of others in mind yet NHRA has no COVID policy for either the teams or spectators.

Just my opinion.
Alan
Okay Alan, I get that. It's a team sport. Should the car win the championship, everyone on the team should get a championship ring, including Tommy Johnson, Jr.

I am disappointed with your reply comparing drag racing to football. It's like comparing apples to rocks (I would have said oranges but both apples and oranges both grow on trees). Football has a COVID procedure in place and all players have to be tested at least once weekly. Jimmy Jones the owner of the Dallas Cowboys has mandated that everyone in his employment must be vaccinated or they won't be allowed to work or play. That's from him to the bottom of his organization including those working in his stadium.

In auto racing Lewis Hamilton the #1 driver in Formula 1, which is considered to be the premier auto racing organization, sat out a race because he tested positive. He did NOT get the points his replacement driver earned.
You say the exception was made with the safety of others in mind yet NHRA has no COVID policy for either the teams or spectators.

NHRA has protocols in place for all of it's employees/event workers. I'm certain that the teams do as well. When we went back to racing last year with limited capacity every fan coming in had a temperature check. We are not doing that now, but we follow whatever the local protocols are for the area where we race.

Jimmy Jones does that for his team. Does every team? No. Every team has their own protocol. If DSR has a protocol for employees does that mean that Kalitta and Wilkerson must have the exact same 0ne?

What's the NFL protocol for it's fans?

And if you don't think Drag Racing is a team sport, have Steve Torrence start his own car this week for round 1.

Alan

If they are “team points”, why are only the drivers’ names listed in the points standings?
Shouldn’t the teams be listed instead?

Jim, you know what? It's the Maroney Blind Faith car that I remember, not the other one. I moved to Arizona in 1981 & I saw this car run, probably at the AHRA Winternats in Tucson. Little joke here - my sis used to live in Sierra Vista, which means "Mountain View" in Spanish. Well, to harass her, called the town "Sorry Vista".. hahahaha This is typical Cliff stuff. :)
Cliff, look what I found Dave Edstrom's Trans Am body nitro flopper, with his son Mike in the seat.
Mike crashed the AA/FC at the 1987 Gator's end of story.
Dave lost his eyesight to diabetes and learned to tune his cars by sound. If I remember right Dave
passed away back in the 90's. Sorry if that is wrong.

And now back to the regular scheduled program. Who does own the Dallas Cowboys?

1631715566374.png

1631715594885.png

1631715636707.png

NHRA has protocols in place for all of it's employees/event workers. I'm certain that the teams do as well. When we went back to racing last year with limited capacity every fan coming in had a temperature check. We are not doing that now, but we follow whatever the local protocols are for the area where we race.

Jimmy Jones does that for his team. Does every team? No. Every team has their own protocol. If DSR has a protocol for employees does that mean that Kalitta and Wilkerson must have the exact same 0ne?

What's the NFL protocol for it's fans?

And if you don't think Drag Racing is a team sport, have Steve Torrence start his own car this week for round 1.

Alan
Great to hear Hagan is back in his seat this weekend. Major hat's off to Tommy Johnson for his great driving, he needs a full time ride.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back