TJ at Reading (1 Viewer)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
Just saw that TJ will be subbing for Hagan at Reading. How many races is NHRA going to let him drive and get points for Hagan? There is not a RULE that allows one driver to earn points for another driver, it's quite the opposite. They made the same exception last year for Taska- 1 race. Well, one race has gone by and now it's #2. Could a driver miss 3, 4, 5, or more and still have someone earning points for you? I hope Hagan is getting well and is not real sick, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
I think this exception could open a whole can of worms for NHRA and the championship.

In light of the current pandemic situation and the investment it takes just to run one of these cars for a year I would think a little leniency wouldn't be a bad thing.
Randy I understand and I will be the last one to downplay the pandemic and that we need to do everything to keep people safe which is the answer I was given as the reason for this exception. Hagan is doing what should be done when you test positive, I applaud him for doing that. If he has to stay out for 3 or 4 races and TJ takes his place is this fair to others in the countdown? I don't know...

Randy I understand and I will be the last one to downplay the pandemic and that we need to do everything to keep people safe which is the answer I was given as the reason for this exception. Hagan is doing what should be done when you test positive, I applaud him for doing that. If he has to stay out for 3 or 4 races and TJ takes his place is this fair to others in the countdown? I don't know...
My question is, where's Hagan? Is he under quarantine at home or in the hospital? If he misses more than 3 or 4 races, I suspect he may have a bad case of this crap. Of which, I hope not.
The NHRA has a tough decision to make in this situation and I would like to be a fly on the wall when they have a board meeting about this.
I wonder what the other drivers think about this? Maybe a survey asking the question, do the points stay with Hagan or does T.J. get them?
Whatever the outcome, I wish Hagan a speedy recovery.

Many, many years ago (heh) AHRA had a rule like the above. John Wiebe had a crash so James Warren, Warren-Coburn & Miller, filled in for him. They put blue contact paper of their car, put Wiebe's name on it & earned the points for Wiebe. Was a "points go with the car" rule.

Many, many years ago (heh) AHRA had a rule like the above. John Wiebe had a crash so James Warren, Warren-Coburn & Miller, filled in for him. They put blue contact paper of their car, put Wiebe's name on it & earned the points for Wiebe. Was a "points go with the car" rule.
Cliff you put me to work early ( Love it, plus I love trippin back in time ) This picture is from 1973 from my issue
of Drag Racing USA Nov 1973 that came in the mail box ( I was just a baby 14 years old ) The deal started when
John and Jeb Allen got in that crash together at the P.R.O. race in Tulsa. I was looking at this issue just a couple of
weeks ago, so it wasn't to much work...LOL You know Cliff you are going to get me in trouble for posting this stuff
Some people on this site don't like the old stuff ( Read the Good Old Days ) you Know what I say...Don't Look

1631195027899.png

AA/FD 1973 James Warren as John Wiebe

1631198561778.png

The crash at Tulsa was getting ugly at this point. Wiebe and Allen both walked away but with
Wiebe having a broken arm or leg. I have read and bin told a couple of different things what happened
to Wiebe
1631198955816.png

I don't think Allen's AA/FD is going to race again
Click on where it says YouTube

Last edited:
I've always thought points should go to the car/team, not the driver. Especially in todays racing with the driver having such a small part in the car's performance. If anything the Crew Chief has the most to do with a car winning.

Just saw that TJ will be subbing for Hagan at Reading. How many races is NHRA going to let him drive and get points for Hagan? There is not a RULE that allows one driver to earn points for another driver, it's quite the opposite. They made the same exception last year for Taska- 1 race.

I guess it begs the question, if he didn't make a single pass did it count as a substitution?

as long as Hogan is out with Covid the points the car earns go to Hogan. The exception was put in last year and still goes. It could start a bigger controversy if the rule stated the driver had to be vaccinated or all bets are off.

Well hopefully Hagan isn't out long, Maple Grove is starting basically right now, so probably pretty close to when he tested positive before Indy.

as long as Hogan is out with Covid the points the car earns go to Hogan. The exception was put in last year and still goes. It could start a bigger controversy if the rule stated the driver had to be vaccinated or all bets are off.
replacement drivers points go to the replaced driver...rule was put in place during 2020. Lindburgh replaced Tasca at a race last year, points went to Tasca

Checking with NHRA it is not a "RULE" and the rule book will not be changed. It was a decision made by the Competition Director.
Warren-Coburn also filled in for Garlits after his accident at Lions. Their name was removed from the car and replaced by Garlits. They filled in for him on some booked in appearances but no major events. There were no points involved.
My question is: How long is NHRA going to do it. I understand the exception for 1 race, like Taska. Does it continue for as long as he is positive? What if he is out for the rest of the year?

Last edited:
AA/FD 1973 James Warren as John Wiebe

View attachment 8913
The crash at Tulsa was getting ugly at this point. Wiebe and Allen both walked away but with
Wiebe having a broken arm or leg. I have read and bin told a couple of different things what happened
to Wiebe
View attachment 8914
I don't think Allen's AA/FD is going to race again

But..... It did race again, they even saved the wing. Had a new back half put on by Woody and became Dave Edstrom's Blind Faith.

Paul, I had heard that Jeb's car was sold to The Birky Bunch. Maybe that was later.

Jim, that photo of the W_C_M car in blue is rare. I think it was the only time they ran the car that way. AND, he said, glad to put you to work. It's real easy to start researching stuff & then realize you've been doing it for hours..... heh

Above link is good for hours....

But..... It did race again, they even saved the wing. Had a new back half put on by Woody and became Dave Edstrom's Blind Faith.
Thanks Paul for the information. I don't think I new that. If I did I forgot...Oh crap it is starting to set in!
Could only find two pictures in my magazines. Is this Jeb Allen's car, the front half anyway
Didn't Dave have a AA/FC at onetime
1631221020013.png

1631221075867.png

Yes Dave did have a F/C - that is the car I remember. So maybe the dragster was sold to Birkey???

Paul, I had heard that Jeb's car was sold to The Birky Bunch. Maybe that was later.

Jim, that photo of the W_C_M car in blue is rare. I think it was the only time they ran the car that way. AND, he said, glad to put you to work. It's real easy to start researching stuff & then realize you've been doing it for hours..... heh

Above link is good for hours....
Cliff I know, I start looking at my old drag rags for info and before I know it 2 to 3 hours have gone by. But it's sure is fun
going back in time. Could not find a picture of Dave's AA/FC, I know I have one somewhere, I think it was a Trans Am or
Firebird body flopper. But I did find this. From Sierra Vista, AZ it's Jack Maroney. And his son Jim races Top Fuel today.
1631222806765.png

Last edited:
Jim, you know what? It's the Maroney Blind Faith car that I remember, not the other one. I moved to Arizona in 1981 & I saw this car run, probably at the AHRA Winternats in Tucson. Little joke here - my sis used to live in Sierra Vista, which means "Mountain View" in Spanish. Well, to harass her, called the town "Sorry Vista".. hahahaha This is typical Cliff stuff. :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back