Thread for July 24th's shows (1 Viewer)

She's a teenage girl for crying out loud. Give her a break.

I was thinking the same thing, she's only 17, but like Kelly said, she came around.

Thanks for the explanations on the episodes Brent. I figured since so many people were "a little shocked" at John's behavior in the first 2 episodes, they decided to show a softer side of him. Ya have to wait & see what the reaction is goning to be and then present accordingly.

I'm obssesive compulsive, obviously John is too... so I can relate (a little) with him. I feel for him in that sense. I know with me, I focus on a thing and if anything penetrates my focus or something happens that isn't planned or how I expect it, I get upset/angry. It's something I'm working on. :eek:

The 2 younger girls sure are spoiled. And spoiled rotten.:rolleyes:

That is exactly what I was thinking after last night's episodes. I think John is trying to work that out of them and doesn't want them to end up that way as they get older. However, there are 2 people who are 99% responsible for their children being spoiled.

I'm obssesive compulsive, obviously John is too... so I can relate (a little) with him. I feel for him in that sense. I know with me, I focus on a thing and if anything penetrates my focus or something happens that isn't planned or how I expect it, I get upset/angry. It's something I'm working on. :eek:

Hmm. I think you just described me in a nutshell. I was reading an article on poynter.org yesterday (it's a journalism Web site) where the author said something like journalists end up marrying other journalists because most otherpeople usually don't like us. Heh. I think it has to do with being neurotic, either coming into the profession that way or developing neuroses working on the profession. In my case, it's a combination. I was neurotic when I graduated college, but I think during the past six years I've developed full-blown OCD.

Anyway, I was unable to watch the premier last week, so I watched the eps last night. I don't think I'm going to be able to watch the rest of the "Hell's Kitchen" season now. Substitute a cursing, screaming, British cook with a cursing, drag-racing champion who lives in California, both of whom are perfectionists. I guess it's not too different. LOL. That is a joke, folks.

For someone like me who is still relatively new to the sport and not all that familiar with Force, the shows were certainly eye-opening and educational for me. At first, I wasn't going to watch it. Force kind of gets on my nerves, though I do respect him tremendously as a driver. But there's so much buzz that people are asking me if I've watched it, as a drag racing fan, I was embarassed to admit I hadn't. So, now I'm in the loop. Guess I need to get one of them DVR/TIVO thangs. Sigh.

I concur with Jackee on this. This is a great show and my entire family is into it (and I'm not much on TV beyond sports or news.) I also could go forever without the Lord's name used in vain.

That being said, I have always loved character development and success stories. John is as good a "rags to riches" story as I'll ever know. His humble beginnings fed his desire to not only win on the track but to succeed in business to provide better for his own. This show touches that well.

I'm also a sucker for a developing romance and if I'm lucky, his efforts will continue to produce fruits with Laurie in a manner that could make up for previous losses and mistakes. If I'm right, I'll be ecstatic with this show as they fall back in love.

Lastly, I have six kids of my own. Three sons and three daughters and beyond my wife of 37 years I have no better friends than my kids. I would like to see this develop for the Force family. They keep showing John's emotional return to his parental responsibilities and I have reason to believe this could be the "Happily ever after" story I am hoping they develop.

Of course, we'll all expect the drama and conflict along the way but in the end, it could be a giant hit with this critic who dislikes almost every TV show in recent years.

I concur with Jackee on this. This is a great show and my entire family is into it (and I'm not much on TV beyond sports or news.) I also could go forever without the Lord's name used in vain.

That's my only gripe as well.

I still love John though................. uhhh, you know what I mean.:eek:

Like most of you I really enjoyed last night's episodes. As I mentioned before the first couple of shows left me with mixed feelings. Actually I guess these two did too (spoiled brats or little rich kids trying to grow up and become better people) ;)

But Last night's episodes started to really shed some light on the relationships between all of them. I completely understand the position the girls are in trying to be themselves and have fun while also trying to "please Daddy". I understand Laurie as she tries to stay with the family and NOT give up on John and the marriage entirely. And, of course, what dad can't understand how John finally realized that he has made some mistakes as a father and wants to be better and correct some of them.

I just found it very, very compelling and entertaining. I keep thinking that John is the perfect example of how it can seem like a person has "everything" (money, fame, etc...) but they really long for more (family closeness, happiness, etc...). He can be the poster child for "THAT" group.

LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!

But she came across, Jenn. She gave him 1/2 of her earnings from that win. That counts for something, in my book. :)

Yes she came across and gave 1/2 of her winnings to the "truck fund". That left her enough money to buy a purse.

The water works at the trailer house was wonderful. It came across to me as more eye make up in her eyes from being in a house with no air conditioning than real emotion.

I honestly believe that John Force led a happy childhood in that trailer house, however the line "They had to live like this" was demeaning to both John and anybody else who lives in a situation like that. They were happy. There are plenty of people in mansions who are miserable.

Okay, future kids wanting to race super comp...this may be a 'real life tv show' but unless you have Daddy Warbucks footing the bill, you are not going to step from an air conditioned jaguar to the seat of a super comp dragster.
A jaguar will not be allowed to park next to the staging lanes to keep you cool. Full bodied tow vehicles are not allowed in Super Comp. Unless you are John Force, you won't get an exception.

You aren't going to be given special persmission from the NHRA to make exhibition passes in a super comp car.

You will have to probably work on the car yourself. That thingy behind the car is an engine, it has moving parts. Exercise caution. The headers are hot, watch out. People will not throw themselves in front of the mufflers to protect you from a third degree burn.

Diesel Louie... Wheelstanders... Think it does run in the family :D

Always did like that Gentleman

Dustbowl: Ok, Kansas, Midwest in the Thirties... Heck, that why California became the state it is... :)

But I could be wrong... time frame is right
That's exactly why it interests me. I've got lots and lots of relatives (mostly ancestors now) that made that same migration and settled in Cali.

Yes she came across and gave 1/2 of her winnings to the "truck fund". That left her enough money to buy a purse.

The water works at the trailer house was wonderful. It came across to me as more eye make up in her eyes from being in a house with no air conditioning than real emotion.

I honestly believe that John Force led a happy childhood in that trailer house, however the line "They had to live like this" was demeaning to both John and anybody else who lives in a situation like that. They were happy. There are plenty of people in mansions who are miserable.

Okay, future kids wanting to race super comp...this may be a 'real life tv show' but unless you have Daddy Warbucks footing the bill, you are not going to step from an air conditioned jaguar to the seat of a super comp dragster.
A jaguar will not be allowed to park next to the staging lanes to keep you cool. Full bodied tow vehicles are not allowed in Super Comp. Unless you are John Force, you won't get an exception.

You aren't going to be given special persmission from the NHRA to make exhibition passes in a super comp car.

You will have to probably work on the car yourself. That thingy behind the car is an engine, it has moving parts. Exercise caution. The headers are hot, watch out. People will not throw themselves in front of the mufflers to protect you from a third degree burn.

Um, I think most teenagers know all that. Do I sense some hostility??? I just dont understand why some people give them a hard time. Its not like there the only one's out there who's daddy has $$$ and stroke and they dont have to lift a finger anyways. And besides, its there business anyways. Its there team, they can run it however they please. Who cares if the driver doesnt know a dang thing about the car as long as they can drive it. You think EE ever worked on her stuff? And for NHRA, they would be stupid not to go along with whatever the Force's needed to do this show. Its called Free Advertisement to them. And if Shoe or whoever wanted to do it, they would let them. So leave them alone, there just priviledged enough to be born into the "lucky sperm" club as I call it.

That's a little rough isn't it. They don't deserve that.:confused:

It sounds like that's Jenn's view from the Super Comp Pits/staging lanes, not so much her view of the TV program.

I only get the view of the TV program.
I only get the TV view too...
I guess, I just feel that they're like most young teens (not all), but most. And I don't mean the fact that their Dad has money. They're still young is my point.

But Jenn's entitled to her opinion, she knows more about it than I do.:eek:

It may sound rough and it may sound hostile, and I do have sympathy for the girls.

Here are three girls (the oldest not included) who from the sounds of it, left behind by their father, by that I say because it seems to me that Force has made no bones about it that he neglected his family for the championship.

Having said that, Force probably compensated his neglect by throwing money and gifts their way. Fostering the feeling that their material goods are worth more than generousity. While they had belly's full and full service manicures, they didn't have a solid father figure so they did lose out on something that family who had no money but a solid family did have. Does that make sense?

There are plenty of racing families out there (mine included) who load up spouses, the kids, even the family pets to go out to the races. As a family. The force girls didn't seem to have that and even then, to invite a television program into their lives to reconnect after something like that seems...insincere .

Last edited:
The Rock Wall

What is the significance of the rock wall where John & Lauries talks take place? It's a nice location away from everyone. Did they go to this location before the show or is this scenery for the show?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back