This should be the beginning of the end of Street Outlaws (1 Viewer)

Why hasen't anyone mentioned the fast and clueless movies that came out way before Street Outlaws, the racing they promoted was busy streets in the middle of packed city's

Why hasen't anyone mentioned the fast and clueless movies that came out way before Street Outlaws, the racing they promoted was busy streets in the middle of packed city's
True, but we expect irresponsible stupidity out of Hollywood :D I see your point, but the stunt driving in F&F was so obviously contrived that there's no confusion about it being real. The reason SO strikes a nerve is because it involves purpose built drag racing cars and blurs the lines between a sport we've spent decades trying to legitimize and "those damn hot rodders" that the public considers a menace.

I will admit I considered building a ricer after F&F since all those hotties seem attracted to them... Oh, wait that's another Hollywood fantasy :D

The original F&F movie brought out alot more of the stove pipe exhaust ricers with nos than people realize. Back then even the car magazines were talking about the problems with street racing gaining popularity again. I had an old magazine with stories in it about the F&F crap in it. Wish i could find it.

I think a lot of us are getting way off base and are missing the point: The NHRA has a right, a responsibility and an obligation to protect their brand. If a racer VOLUNTARILY joins the NHRA, the racer agrees to abide by certain rules of conduct, and this conduct does not include street racing. As true drag racing fans, all of us on the Mater know that the Street Outlaw show isn't really street racing, but the general non-fan viewing public may not know this. The NHRA can't control what is broadcast on ignorant, trashy 'reality' TV, but they can, and should and are trying to protect their brand and image from being associated with a show as lame as Street Outlaws. And I'm also embarrassed that this moronic show is taped in my beloved home state of Oklahoma.

True. I dont think nascar would be happy to see one of its drivers using a sanctioned car to haul bootleg whiskey and running from the police.

No one would have associated NHRA with the TV show. NHRA put the spotlight on them selves. AS far as rules of conduct, that applies to NHRA events only.
What you do, or don't do, away from the track is none of NHRA's business. If you go home and kick the dog, or get a speeding ticket, so what.

You're wrong. The NHRA had to say something. It seems like the longer these threads run, the more time people have to think up stuff. It's so simple, and it's been posted already, but even though these guys are not racing by blocking off traffic or going stoplight to stoplight, they're hyping the fact that they are "outlaws" trying to stay ahead of the cops. I would go on, but it's all been said...

No one would have associated NHRA with the TV show. NHRA put the spotlight on them selves. AS far as rules of conduct, that applies to NHRA events only.
What you do, or don't do, away from the track is none of NHRA's business. If you go home and kick the dog, or get a speeding ticket, so what.
Correct.

In principle, you are right. However, NHRA didn't tell them they could not do the show anymore. They are free to do whatever they want. What NHRA did tell them was, if it continued, they would lose their license to participate at NHRA sanctioned tracks. After that they were still free to be on the show.

NHRA has the right to revoke privileges, just as any business has the right to do. I don't have to serve you food or beverage, don't have to allow you to shop at my store, don't have to give you a ride, etc. As a business owner, THAT'S MY RIGHT !! My business ... My rules.

I tell people that work for me, if you don't like it here or don't agree with the rules ... you always have 1 option. THE DOOR.

Paul you seem to think rights and privileges are one in the same. You could not be more disillusioned.

Remember when this happened?

"Don Schumacher Racing committed a fuel violation prior to eliminations Sunday at the SummitRacing.com NHRA Nationals in Las Vegas. Schumacher Racing has been fined $100,000 for possessing nitromethane fuel in its Professional pit clearly in violation of the fuel regulations as detailed on page 64 of the 2008 NHRA Rulebook.

NHRA has a strict policy regarding possession of nitromethane at events and takes its responsibility as stewards of this fuel and the sport very seriously. NHRA will not tolerate inappropriate possession of this fuel and will take swift and significant action with teams that do not comply with the rules."

that was 100 grand for violating 1 simple rule in the book..... just for carrying drums of fuel with them, probably innocently - for private testing, etc. So what is the sanctioning body to do when a racer, bound by the same rule book, carrying one of their competition licenses, appears in the national media and goes against everything Wally Parks was about?

I'll bet Don or John Force or Greg Anderson or any of the stars of NHRA would get more than a threatening letter if they were caught on Street Outlaws.....

Remember when this happened?

"Don Schumacher Racing committed a fuel violation prior to eliminations Sunday at the SummitRacing.com NHRA Nationals in Las Vegas. Schumacher Racing has been fined $100,000 for possessing nitromethane fuel in its Professional pit clearly in violation of the fuel regulations as detailed on page 64 of the 2008 NHRA Rulebook.

NHRA has a strict policy regarding possession of nitromethane at events and takes its responsibility as stewards of this fuel and the sport very seriously. NHRA will not tolerate inappropriate possession of this fuel and will take swift and significant action with teams that do not comply with the rules."

that was 100 grand for violating 1 simple rule in the book..... just for carrying drums of fuel with them, probably innocently - for private testing, etc. So what is the sanctioning body to do when a racer, bound by the same rule book, carrying one of their competition licenses, appears in the national media and goes against everything Wally Parks was about?

I'll bet Don or John Force or Greg Anderson or any of the stars of NHRA would get more than a threatening letter if they were caught on Street Outlaws.....

Bob,
There is a bit of a difference between a single 53 gallon drum and a container... The fine was because the consignee could get the material where as the 'official supplier' was having issues with their vendor.

The nitro drum was definality a set up IMO
How would someone know the drum was in the pit area to begin with??
As for street racing and the NHRA, NHRA has to make a stand against street racing so start with NHRA licensed drivers.
That's why the NHRA came into existence in the first place.

Your guys memory is either selective or far worse than mine which I'll admit is not as good as it used to be. It involved way more than one drum. All teams were required to purchase from one ONLY vendor. It is simple math to calculate how much fuel each team should be purchasing based on the normal usage per run times the number of runs. To the best of my recollection DSR was purchasing about 35 or 40 percent of what they should have been buying.

Best post in this topic! ^^^^^

There has only been a hand full of people on that show that has a current NHRA license/comp number. Most of the others that got the letter used to have a NHRA license/membership years ago, guess they realized the NHRA didn't care about the little guy (so they can't be complete dumb@$$&$). The ones that never had a NHRA license/membership didn't get a letter at all. The street outlaw guys posted the letters from the NHRA to show people who want to be on the show what they risk, and can loose by wanting to be on the show.

Maybe the NHRA should get the Discovery channel, and Pilgrim studios to produce, and air their racing on tv. It would probably make it easier for all the racers to find/keep sponsors.

"Maybe the NHRA should get the Discovery channel, and Pilgrim studios to produce, and air their racing on tv. It would probably make it easier for all the racers to find/keep sponsors."

Yeah, and Pilgrim TV can have Mike Rowe do the play by play and Levi the Amish Don be the official starter.....but where to use the Ghost Hunters.....they can be the new Safety Safari!

Best post in this topic! ^^^^^

There has only been a hand full of people on that show that has a current NHRA license/comp number. Most of the others that got the letter used to have a NHRA license/membership years ago, guess they realized the NHRA didn't care about the little guy (so they can't be complete dumb@$$&$). The ones that never had a NHRA license/membership didn't get a letter at all. The street outlaw guys posted the letters from the NHRA to show people who want to be on the show what they risk, and can loose by wanting to be on the show.

Maybe the NHRA should get the Discovery channel, and Pilgrim studios to produce, and air their racing on tv. It would probably make it easier for all the racers to find/keep sponsors.
Ken ... do you really believe that?? NHRA hasn't told anybody what they can (or cannot) do on their own time. But as a business, they sure as hell can decide who participates in their sanctioned events or properties just like any main street business owner can. It really is that simple. Look at the NFL Ravens ... player got pinched for DUI last week, was cut before he posted bail. If he wants to push the boundaries, he assumes that risk. Participants DO NOT have autonomous freedom to be above rules. If a licensed NHRA driver wants to participate in this stupid TV show, he/she certainly has every right to continue to do so. They just need to understand the collateral implications.

I said it earlier ... "MY BUSINESS, MY RULES". Whether its NHRA, a Bar, IBM, the Military, whatever. You don't have to like the rules, but you have to operate within them.

No one would have ever have known or associated NHRA with the show without the letter?? You're kidding yourself. 1 fatality, injury, or loss of property on this show and watch how fast some high priced lawyer starts naming everybody with a bank account in a lawsuit. NHRA, Discovery Channel, show sponsors, the municipality they were filming in ... it would be long. This is how the world spins today and businesses have to protect their interests.

Jim, just like NHRA I think you are WAY over reacting. NHRA in no way condoned, or endorsed the TV show. There is no connection.
Saying if there was a crash NHRA could be sued is ridiculous. There are plenty of cars with the number 3, 5, and 8 on them. If one of them runs a stop sign
and hits me, can I sue NASCAR??

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back