This Really Sucks!!! (2 Viewers)

StarLink Now $299

Pedregon wouldn't be in the running under the old points system.

Check the numbers again, Bob. TPed actually would be right in the hunt. He finished Reading tied for third, 165 points back of Ron Capps and 87 behind Robert Hight. He's scored 219 points in the three Countdown races up until this weekend, picking up 101 on Capps and 36 on Hight. That would put him 64 behind Capps and 51 behind Hight. Sounds like a pretty good charge to me, regardless of what system u use. Not the lead, but I think his run would be legit.

Check the numbers again, Bob. TPed actually would be right in the hunt. He finished Reading tied for third, 165 points back of Ron Capps and 87 behind Robert Hight. He's scored 219 points in the three Countdown races up until this weekend, picking up 101 on Capps and 36 on Hight. That would put him 64 behind Capps and 51 behind Hight. Sounds like a pretty good charge to me, regardless of what system u use. Not the lead, but I think his run would be legit.

165 points 3 races to go Ron Capps got screwed with this whole points deal.
If Ron won the championship I would love it he is a class act.
Tony wouldn't be in first that's the bottom line!
I'm still have issues lets just say we agree to disagree and leave it at that. :p
Thanks for checking the #'s Steve it still confirmed what I meant Tony wouldn't be in the lead I wonder if Robert might have gotten the lead if he showed up to the one race he sat out but we will never know. :rolleyes:

Hey Steve, someone on the Mater is tracking the points via the old system. Is that you? We will know where everyone stands at the end of the year. Should be interesting.

You're wasting time Bob on someone that just doesn't have a clue. Notice he voices his displeasure with their music but we have no business voicing our displeasure with the 'countdown'.

Talk about double standards. :rolleyes:

Robert, you seem to know it all. Please let me know where I said I did not like the rain music??? I just said the NHRA could update the music. I am amazed how you can make nothing into something. Lets see here, rain delay music vs. the Countdown, can you tell me which one is more important to the NHRA and the fans??? One thing (the music) people could care less about and the other one is what determines the champions of the NHRA (your comparison is irrelevant). I think you are the one who needs to get a clue. I think you showed your true colors last night with your tasteless Blaine Johnson comments (think before you type). By the way Robert, can you please tell me how many forums you have been kicked off of due to your smart ass and pointless comments?

And what can you do about it??? NOTHING!! Just in case you have not noticed you are in the minority on this subject. If you look at the total number of NHRA members and the number of people who signed the anti-countdown petition, it is obvious more people are willing to give it a chance before downing the program like some of you on here and elsewhere. Everyone needs to get over it, because your whining and crying will not change a damn thing. If you are so against the countdown, stop watching the races and start watching some other form of racing. As someone else here has said, no matter what some of you think or say, the real champions this year are those who will collect the trophy, the cash, and have the #1 on their cars next year!!. Get over it and move on!

And I think you're WAY off. In the "Honest Answers" poll a few threads down, it looks to me like about one out of five people are in favor of keeping this new points system. I guess we're all just lucky that we have you to tell us what we "need" to do though, huh? :D Nice that you attempt to discredit the opinions of those who disagree with you by saying that what they're doing is "whining and crying." You're not "whining and crying" about those people. Right? :D Maybe YOU need to get over it. (LOL, and I at least put a "maybe" in)

I still say some company should make an opportunity out of this by sponsoring a "True Champion" payout. Like I've also said, make it interesting by making any participating drivers/owners sign an agreement that they'll exchange any championship check they get from NHRA. The company would get their name out there in the middle of/via the controversy and what they put up would be heavily offset by the checks that'd be exchanged.

Last edited:
Bob: I'll agree to that. I like the Countdown; you don't. But that's just the way I am. I'm one of the few guys in my office who like the post-season conference basketball tournaments. Most in my office can't stand them, but I love the excitement they create. To me, the Countdown is a lot like that.
The only thing I don't like about this point comparison between the new system and the old system, is that the pressure factor is somewhat ruled out. It's not just a simple matter of adding up the points. I use Tony Pedregon as an example. He's been able to score a very productive 219 points so far in the countdown. But he's done it while facing a 30-point deficit going in as opposed to a 165-point deficit. There's just a significant difference of pressure when trying to make up a 30-point deficit in four races, compared to being 165 out with six to go. Would he still be have moved within 3-plus rounds (under the old system)? We'll never no, because he's racing under a different degree of pressure with the new system. It's kind of like a golfer who knows he can his 3-wood 200 yards, because he's done it before. But when you throw the pressure of having to do it on the final hole and facing a one-stroke deficit, it's not as simple has doing it again. Pressure changes everything.
Guys are just racing under a different mindset with this new system. That's true for the leaders as well as the chasers, and because of it, I don't think you can just add up the numbers and say this guy would have won.

Robert,

No, it's not me. I just looked at the final "regular season" points on DRC...then did the appropriate math. But as I stated above, I just don't think you can punch the numbers and say this guy would have won.

And I think you're WAY off. In the "Honest Answers" poll a few threads down, it looks to me like about one out of five people are in favor of keeping this new points system. I guess we're all just lucky that we have you to tell us what we "need" to do though, huh? Nice that you attempt to discredit the opinions of those who disagree with you by saying that what they're doing is "whining and crying." You're not "whining and crying" about those people. Right? Maybe YOU need to get over it. (LOL, and I at least put a "maybe" in)

I still say some company should make an opportunity out of this by sponsoring a "True Champion" payout. Like I've also said, make it interesting by making any participating drivers/owners sign an agreement that they'll exchange any championship check they get from NHRA. The company would get their name out there in the middle of/via the controversy and what they put up would be heavily offset by the checks that'd be exchanged.

No Ron, actually the petition "tanked":rolleyes:

And so far there are 31 here that voted in favor. I thought it would be two;)

As far as the old system I for one lost interest when championships were decided as early as Brainerd.

There SHOULD have been a fourth option in the poll, and IMO that should have been.......Are you willing to allow the season to play out before making a final judgement?

I will laugh my ass of if come Pomona the points under the new and old were the same.

I know GA would have probably won PS regardless but For example in FC Capps and Ace have been doing terribly, and he is out of the show in Richmond as I type this, he still might get in, but his points lead has been evaporating anyway.

Main thing is Force is alive and the sun is shining and my Family is well.

So this to me..........is a pimple on a ant's ass.:)

REX

Robert,

No, it's not me. I just looked at the final "regular season" points on DRC...then did the appropriate math. But as I stated above, I just don't think you can punch the numbers and say this guy would have won.

I think the problem is that some of the guys that had it wrapped up went into testing mode. Had they not done that, where would they be?

Someone on here is going to post the real points and I think that's all we can go by.

Top Fuel and Pro Stock are almost locked-in, but the only Funny Car that's locked in is Tony P. The other five (Head and Force are out) are in a dogfight for the other three spots, so two very good teams will sit out the Countdown to One.

No Ron, actually the petition "tanked"

And so far there are 31 here that voted in favor. I thought it would be two

As far as the old system I for one lost interest when championships were decided as early as Brainerd.

There SHOULD have been a fourth option in the poll, and IMO that should have been.......Are you willing to allow the season to play out before making a final judgement?

I will laugh my ass of if come Pomona the points under the new and old were the same.

I know GA would have probably won PS regardless but For example in FC Capps and Ace have been doing terribly, and he is out of the show in Richmond as I type this, he still might get in, but his points lead has been evaporating anyway.

Main thing is Force is alive and the sun is shining and my Family is well.

So this to me..........is a pimple on a ant's ass.:)

REX

17% so far in the "Honest Answers" thread say keep it, so I was being generous by 3% by saying one out of five. :D It's just the conservative in me. Erase any points lead number one might earn and give number eight an even shot at him or her. Ugh! LOL, PJ and I had our political disagreements on the old mater and he STARTED the petition! :D

It's all about the cars/power/technology for me, anyways. The driver's just the guy or gal lucky enough to be holding the steering wheel. :)

Especially glad to hear that your family is well.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back