They Call me Mello Yello (1 Viewer)

Ahh....he has been around this sport for 50 years, I think he knows what he's talking about.

No S H I T Joe, you obviously missed the point too. He called me out for something I said and I explained it....where in the hell did you get that I said he doesn't know what he's talking about???? Sheesh!! :confused:

I think this deal is great news. I already do my part to support Coke. Mello Yello is my favorite pop.

We appreciate the support Coke is giving the National event series. I would like to see that product (the series) become more valuable to that company.
Coca Cola needs to activate its sponsorship of the NHRA by incorporating that relationship in other marketing endeavors. Support of selected Sportsman racers, advertising in other media, as well as increasing the frequency of using in store promotions would all make the dollars spent far more productive in moving the merchandise.
That's the way I see it.
Cheers,
Ed

Bottom line coke needs to spend more money in the series if they want to even grow any of the brands they want to represent and they have not done that. If anything NHRA has actually been making all of the promotional calls and the results have not really worked when Coke could do alot more for us. As I said yesterday NHRA/Coke needs to meet up and create a serious campaign because if they don't 2013 will be even worse for ticket sales and for tracks.

Social media is not working, although I credit the NHRA with the good attempt. If the sport alone is not enough to attract people, then the people must not have a pulse. They are not reaching today's youth the right way, I don't have the answers, but it's needs to be more proactive and ways that make people say, "I dont wanna miss the nationals"

It's easy for anyone to "like" the NHRA, it's just not going to translate into every "like" being a person at their area national event. I don't know if they understand that. The NHRA is all over the social media yet "likes" and "follows" are not buying tickets.

The NHRA needs to do alot more of it's good ideas. Top Fuel and Funny Cars in more public places. (Walmart and Airports excellent ideas it has done) How about car shows, how about import shows, (Drifting, wheelstand events, different sports segments the youth are at that are not drag racing related). It's not gonna help to promote the sport at any drag strip event, good chance that anyone at a drag strip knows about the NHRA) There needs to be gorilla type marketing in segments that having nothing to do with drag racing. That's how the sport can grow. Likewise, How about an NHRA commercial promoting the sport and area races during American Idol. Today's youth needs to be hit during what they seem to be into.

The approach may be expensive, but this is why we are not growing. We are not attacking based on what they are into.

Ok.. something i never understood.. and if i see it at future NHRA or other events i expect my consulting fee to be paid promptky... (yeah right...lol)

Why doesnt Coke have a traveling version of the Coke World Museum at NHRA events.... not just showing the history of Coke.. but the sampler stations like that have at the Coke Word exibit at the Atlanta offices?... for those that have not seen it.. they have and area with maybe 50 different flavors of beverages they sell around the world on tap .. you get a small cup.. and you can taste those flavors... this would make a great promotion activation of their sponsorships at NHRA events....

I think this deal is great news. I already do my part to support Coke. Mello Yello is my favorite pop.

I agree with Jared. Thank you Coca Cola. Because I'm diabetic, I drink Diet Coke (or Diet Cherry Coke or Diet Vanilla Coke when I can find them) so I hope a Diet Mello Yello is coming sometime.

here's a thought..... years ago who even heard of POWERAID? after a couple years as the series sponsor, poweraid was everywhere .... how bout FULL THROTTLE? That drink came into play as energy drinks were being pushed by every brand and Coke needed to push theirs.... well maybe, just maybe, seeing how Mt.Dew is everywhere from Pepsi, , , , Coke could be looking to do battle and figures NHRA has helped their other labels so much, WHY NOT? Beside...(as John Force would say) BOTTOM LINE, Who signs the check!

let’s not forget that NHRA’s involvement with POWERade and then Full Throttle did exactly nothing for those brands, and it wasn’t the fault of NHRA. A series sponsorship is not much more than a blown up version of a team sponsorship. You wouldn’t expect a race team to promote and activate a sponsorship to the masses. That’s the responsibility of the sponsor (think Brut and how they maximized their involvement with DSR through an aggressive national advertising program that benefitted both the brand and NHRA Drag Racing). In this instance it’s Coke’s responsibility to tout the series and make it appear “big.”

They failed to do that with both previous brands.

I’m not saying there won’t be a dramatic turnaround with Mello Yellow. One can only hope.
I used to own and operate a convenience mart. I received no support in these aspects. None. Even if I asked for it (from the local distributor). I did give Powerade a whole "door" in the refrigerated drinks section and minimized Gatorade. I didn't eliminate it altogether, but it did get marginalized. I tried to build Powerade and it made some gains, but it was on my own.

Full Throttle is an example of "too little too late." Red Bull and Monster, were, well... monsters. I did try to push FT(again, with no support), but it just wasn't gonna happen.

I'm no longer in the retail world, and I've never heard of this Mello Yello stuff so this announcement did take me by surprise. It seems like an awkward combination, but we'll run with it for the sake of the sport I love. Hopefully TC and the board members won't some day sell the naming rights to Tampax or something like that.

I still wear Brut Revolution to this day. :D

Geez guys.

I swear, it could be raining new cars outside, and some of you would beyouch because yours had a couple of hundred miles on it.:rolleyes:

If you only have a 4 share in that sector of the market wouldn't you think it would be time to relaunch the same product under another name? ... like......Yello Bullet:D

Geez guys.

I swear, it could be raining new cars outside, and some of you would beyouch because yours had a couple of hundred miles on it.:rolleyes:

Well ... if it has a couple of hundred miles on it then it's not "new". Also, if it was raining cars, there would obviously be damage from the landing. So we would have to pay our insurance deductible to get them fixed, there could be warranty issues ... there is lots to think about David. I think we would be well within our rights to complain ... :D

Coke Buys Vitaminwater
As far as the comments towards Coke not giving Drag Racing it's due....I will tell you, from my perspective, it's true. I was working as a bartender at a high-end resort outside of Austin, and Coke bought out the entire resort for 5 days, changed all the Pepsi fountains in the outlets to Coke products, all the bars were filled with every flavor of Full Throttle, Powerade, and Vitaminwater....the Vitaminwater was what it was all about. They had just bought it from 50cent, and they literally, rolled out the red carpet for their executives. Lots of famous people there for decoration. The resort has 400 rooms. They shuttled everyone who wanted to go into Austin for bar-hopping on their tab. All the bars were paid for at the resort, all the food etc. They had some famous singers there for entertainment, and this was just them celebrating their purchase of Vitaminwater. I estimate the cost of two of those parties pays for their NHRA involvement.

No S H I T Joe, you obviously missed the point too. He called me out for something I said and I explained it....

Sarcasm is tough in it's written manner....I'll say, yours was on the fence, so a few people may have missed it...I did....instead of getting angry with people for not "getting" it, maybe hone the skill......it's best when slathered on so thick, there's no mistaking it......use the comment below as a guideline.

Well ... if it has a couple of hundred miles on it then it's not "new". Also, if it was raining cars, there would obviously be damage from the landing. So we would have to pay our insurance deductible to get them fixed, there could be warranty issues ... there is lots to think about David. I think we would be well within our rights to complain ... :D

Last edited:
The article on NHRA.com is good. Full of promise and big hopes, let's see if Coke follows through with what was said on their behalf.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back