They Call me Mello Yello (1 Viewer)

I get the "Fuze" option discussed on another board, but wow. Mello and Yello are hard to market the NHRA with it's laid back style. The mellow slow paced cars just cruising the quarte.. 1,000 feet. At least the stuff tastes good though.

Last edited:
If that's what pays the bills, then I'm fine with it.

I see the extended "L's" as tire marks, and it's supposed to be a little mello until the lights are green.

If Dick Trickle can make it big in Nascar for decades then we can make a lot of hay for Mello Yellow.

I am a diehard diet mountain dew fan, but I'm willing to try a diet mellow yellow and see if it fits the bill (if there is such a thing).

so I guess this should be filed under "you can't fix stupid" right?

and can't wait to see this right?
days-of-thunder-car1.jpg

Mello Yello taking over as NHRA title sponsor - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global

sure hope this opens the door for other energy drinks
to participate in the nhra....again or for the first time.

27 years: nhra winston drag racing / must have sold some cigarettes
8 years: nhra powerade drag racing / must have aided brand recognition
4 years: nhra full throttle drag racing / must have done nothing
? years: nhra mello yello drag racing / ??

We barely sell that stuff in Cans in our Stores.

Makes me Wish "Surge" came back as opposed to Mello Yello

Last Good Thing I can remember about Mello Yello is this;

Mello Yello Commerical (1988) - YouTube

Besides Mountain Dew goes for the Young Demographic because of How Edgy it's always been, Mello Yello has NEVER been Edgy. Surge Was the Edgy "Life's a Scream" "Caffeinated Lemon/Lime" soda.

Prefer Coke Zero or Seagrams than Mello Yello.

I think Patron should get some "Official NHRA" sponsorship next year.

I imagine that Coke is using their sponsorship to spread around their smaller brands. Rather than Coke being "the" name they gave it to powerade. Then to Full Throttle and now Mello Yellow. I would imagine in a couple of years they will pass it on to another brand.

THe important thing is that the money will not go down and they have security for several more seasons.

I wonder if there will be a rebranding of Mello Yellow that goes along with this.

I guess I'm showing my age but it just reminds me of 1966 when Donovan had a big hit song called "Mello Yello".

This caused all the aspiring young hippies in my neighborhood to try baking banana peels in our mom's oven and stealing one of our dad's pipes to try smoking them. It didn't work.

Also, I wonder how this changes the exclusivity of energy drinks

I am sure Coke protected their exclusivity in all drink arenas, not just energy drinks. If they didn't, the first time you saw a Gatorade/Mountain Dew/Red Bull car take the track, some very hard questions would be asked in Atlanta GA of Coke's marketing folks. I would venture the primary attractiveness of the NHRA sponsorship is that they are allowed a clear marketing channel without distortion from competition, otherwise the value of the sponsorship is diminished.

The Sports Business Journal article linked above states that Coke is phasing out Full Throttle and concentrating on NOS energy drink. It also states they recently began nationwide distribution of Mello Yello, so rebranding the sponsorship with NHRA makes sense. If that article is correct, Coke is sponsoring NHRA for a song anyway. $3-4 Million annually for title sponsorship? That is NOTHING, particularly for a company like Coke. One Super Bowl commercial will have 2-3 times that budget plus the cost of the air time.

In any event, sponsor stability is a good thing. It appears they are locked up til 2016. A bird in hand ...

now to pour water on the fire... Mello Yello, Mountain Dew, Store brand? It's a Mixer, like lemon lime, 7up, ect.... so store brand.

While I'm glad they're choosing to support drag racing, I would think a little more time getting it taste less like brake fluid might have helped Full Throttle's sales.

The marketing people at Coke are smarter than any one person on this board. I will give them the benefit of at least making the announcement official and seeing what kind of marketing campaign they have in store before condemning it as the end of drag racing. The rest of you are free to continue your scheduled "The Sky is Falling Complain-a-thon 2012".

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back