The Stuff of Dreams (1 Viewer)

Gordon

Nitro Member
I wrote this story because I, like many of us, dream of being a Top Fuel Pilot some day. I also enjoy writing. More than likely, I'll never climb into a TF car, but who knows? On the other hand, I may very well get the opportunity to write some day. So, I offer this to you and hope you get as much enjoyment out of reading it as I did imagining and writing it. I'm open to, and actually welcome constructive criticism - without it I'll never get any better.

The Sponsor Run: By Gordon Carlon

The tension was beginning to mount. Our prospective sponsor had been watching closely and it was just about time to show them what we were made of. Our low-budget, rag-tag team of volunteer mechanical engineers has performed magic with this ol’ rail during the last few months, but the marketing director wanted to see that we could really run with the big dogs before he was willing to write us a check. His company’s name wasn’t going on the side of any side show act, he wanted to know his 320+ M.P.H. billboard was going to have a legitimate shot at being front and center for 23 races. Period.

Freak, the crew chief, had briefed me that he was setting it to “kill” and quite frankly, that’s where the mounting tension was coming from. Now don’t misunderstand me here, I have all the trust and confidence in the world that Freak can get it done. I wouldn’t dream of strapping myself into a land-locked missile like this if I didn’t trust the guy calling the shots. But this ol’ heap – to borrow a phrase from the great Mr. Force – has a lot of runs on it and I’ve never been convinced it could handle a low .50, much less a high .40 – which was clearly Freak’s goal given the distant, falling sun and already perfect atmospheric conditions. My fear, or concern to use a better word, was that we were about to make the one run that could secure sponsorship for next year and he was setting it on, as he said, “kill.”

I disappeared into the trailer in an attempt to lose myself, to release the tension. I found my comfortable spot in the corner loveseat and began visualizing the impending run from “strap in” in the tunnel to “helmet off” at the other end. It has to be exactly the same procedure every time. No mistakes. No surprises. Every crew member has a job and I can just about draw their numbered footsteps from the time they start me until I pull forward to stage – including where each of them will stand during the run itself. I will get to the finish line first, qualifying run or not. I refuse to lose on a holeshot in front of a prospective sponsor. Visualize. See the run before it ever happens.

The familiar rumble flows over me as the motor turns over and eventually fires. Freak adjusts the fuel flow and signals me forward. I see Jimbo running ahead on the right side preparing to guide me through the back-up following the burnout. I feel the back end bounce ever so slightly as the rear Goodyears roll through the water box and I come off the clutch pedal and jam the throttle forward to the throttle stop watching the RPM’s climb to just a tic under 6,000 RPM’s. The back end starts to wash out a little so I counter and hold the burnout to just past the tree as planned. Next, I roll off the gas, step back on the clutch and slowly apply brake to bring the car to a stop. After I stop, I grab the reverser and begin the tedious process of engaging it so I can back up to the starting line. Initially it won’t go so I come off the clutch just a touch and wait for it it “grab” and engage. There it is. I look for Jimbo to jump in front of the car as I know I’m getting close and as planned, there he is. Remarkably, despite the “washout” during the burnout, I’m pretty close to where Freak wants me and the backup goes smoothly, without a lot of adjustments.

I disengage the reverser and hold the brake while Animal (we all have nicknames) removes and shows me the throttle stop. This tells me I will have full throttle available during the run – you’d be surprised, but it’s been forgotten in the past and when I mash the gas, I don’t go anywhere. It’s a bummer, to say the least. Also, I see Jimbo remove the cover from the fuel vent in the nose of the car, so I know I’ll have full fuel flow. Freak makes his last minute adjustments to the idle and gives me the thumbs up to stage the car. The concerns & tension I felt back in the pits are a distant memory, I’m running on pure reflex now. The run I visualized back in the trailer has gone exactly to plan to this point.

I slowly pull forward, inching my way toward the pre-stage beam. I light it and await my competitor to do the same. I don’t have to wait long, there he is. I perform one last quick check of the instruments, open the second fuel pump and take my foot off the clutch pedal. I feel the motor load as I do this. Next I slowly pull forward by ever so gingerly releasing brake. The centrifugal clutch will move the car forward easily without applying any gas. I’m hoping to stage as shallow as humanly possible – we’re lookin’ for the big ET here and I don’t want to lose any time whatsoever to rollout, or more specifically, lack thereof. There, I’ve tickled that stage beam & I’m ready. The other driver rolls in almost simultaneously, so here we go…

Flicker of amber bulbs and my right foot stomps on the loud pedal as my right hand not only releases the brake handle, but actually pushes it forward so as to eliminate any chance of friction between the disc & the pads – every little bit counts. Oh man, this will never get old. As my hot rod accelerates harder than most will ever experience, the lateral G’s press my entire upper body, from my buttocks to my head, into the back of the padded roll cage. My visibility is hazy on the outer periphery, but unlike fighter pilots who experience high G’s during aerial combat, the blood stays in my head so I don’t lose complete vision. The front end is up and though I don’t have steering, I’m straight as an arrow and not climbing, just up. My job here is to keep the front wheels straight, so when she finally touches back down, I won’t lose time or control. I subconsciously watch the Christmas tree disappear on my left side and I feel the familiar tire rattle, not bad, but it’s there. I know I’m going to drive through it or blow the hides off (that’s what happens when you’re trying to rotate Mother Earth). So I keep my foot mashed and hope for the best. My focus remains glued to the narrow groove, if I get out of it, I lose too much ET and I’ll surely hear about it – not to mention what will happen to my date with the sponsors check at the top end. Still can’t see the car that lined up next to me in the left lane, but I sense he’s there… close. The G’s begin to let up a little and the front end finally touches down, right on target. I begin to brace for the next blast and WHAM! As the clutch locks up and I carry the front end for a split second once again, I know Freak knew what he was doing when he tuned her up – I’ve never in my life seen half track come and go this quickly. Don’t ask how I feel a few hundredths difference, I just do – experience will do that for you and I’ve made enough runs to know I’m on one helluva pass. My head and ass are planted into the padding one more time, nearly as hard as the initial launch, but not quite – it’s the speed that goes along with it that make it so unreal. If there were telephone poles lining the edge of the track and they were painted white, they’d start resembling a picket fence right about now. I begin to feel, rather than see the car drifting ever so slightly to the right so I apply a little counter-steer and she stays right there in the middle, right where I want her. When applying this much torque, the entire frame feels it and the car naturally wants to drift – again, experience.

Ok, my right hand moves to the parachutes because in less time than it takes you to read this sentence, I’m going to need ’em. Still in the groove, still accelerating, still don’t see the car in the other lane… and there goes the finish line. I’m really haulin’ the mail now. I pop the laundry and wait for the intense negative G’s and rapid deceleration that follows. Uuhh, there it is. My body is now experiencing the near exact opposite of what it felt leaving the starting line – my whole being is thrown forward in the cockpit and my head is heavy on my neck. Wow, that’ll get your attention.

As I coast through the shut down area, I begin the shut down process - I gently apply brake, slowing the car evenly but not aggressively and I see the win light on my side of the guardrail. Ok, I met the first part of my goal, I won. But what’s the ET? The car continues to slow as I push in the clutch and shut off the fuel and begin looking for my director at the top end. I spot him and he directs me into the shut down area ahead of the car in the other lane. Making the turn I see a small group of folks coming over to my car and I’m beginning to feel the pre-race pressure again. Did we impress the sponsor? Did I leave anything on the track? The exuberant Alan Reinhart approaches me with the TV crew and a microphone as I climb out and remove my helmet. The excitement is overwhelming and I struggle with the strap, but finally get it. He asks me what I thought it ran and I tell him I knew it was “on one” but I wasn’t sure – “a .52 maybe?” After a slight pause he tells me it ran a 4.455 at 329.92 M.P.H.!

And this, my friends, is what dreams are made of…:D

Last edited:
Hey, I've been dreaming of a nitro funny car ride since falling in love with them on TV in about 1970. How many of us couldn't have predicted how much faster the costs would go up than we could possibly ever make money?

The nostalgia thing is bringing that shot back around for a lot of us. Build em like they used to. Enough power to put on a good show, little enough that you should be able to make three passes, then go home and rebuild it.

It might not be 300 MPH, but have you ever ridden in a bracket dragster, even? The acceleration would amaze anyone who hasn't, which is the main reason why I've put about a dozen different people in mine over the last six years on test and tune days. Many would stand outside the car, watch it run, act like it would be no problem, then they can't keep their foot down for more than about one second from launch. Everyone thinks I'm generous when I just like watching them scare the sh*t out themselves!

I know someone who went from doorslammer brackets to a mid 4s in the 1/8 low end pro mod. My cousin who was there says that when he got out of the car after his first pass, it was scary how badly he was scared. Said he just walked around looking like he was out of this world for quite a few minutes. :)

My first pass in the dragster in 2000, I was no better than anyone else. First it pulled me harder than I'd ever been pulled in my life. Then the car just settled down/stopped accelerating/started coasting. The funny thing is that I was going through things in my mind such as "What could be wrong with the car? Is it broke? Did we forget to fuel it?" After a second or two it finally dawned on me. I can't tell how strong of a feeling of denial was hitting at the same time. I was yelling "NO! NO! NOT ME!" Sure enough, my foot was up.

Apparently there's something in your brain that won't let you kill yourself, and the first time your body feels this, it steps in and says "Whatever you're doing, NO!" and it lifts your foot for you. :D Now I've got people telling me that I basically have to go through that all over again to adjust to another level. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Ron. I can't begin to tell you how much I want to climb into a Super Comp car, I simply haven't had the time. I'm on the road for the Navy beginning 24 January through early March and then I'm only home to regroup for the next travel period! Don't get me wrong, I love what I do, but I need to spend time with my family when I am home, so Super Comp school is still on the back burner. I'd love to find someone willing to let me strap in for a pass during a test and tune to give me a test (spoken: scare) :eek: pass to hold me over till I get the time for the school in Pomona. Brady keeps telling me how fun (and easy) it is - but this is coming from a Top Fuel pilot. I've imagined that pass (S/C) almost as many times as the Top Fuel ride, especially since it's alot more reasonable to expect I'll do it some day. And yes, I know it won't go nearly as smoothly as I've imagined it.;)

Thanks again for the vote of confidence though, it means a lot to me.

BTW - Did you enjoy the story?

Last edited:
We broke the trans in mine the last time out and I won't spend anything on it right now because every dollar for it is a dollar the funny car won't see. If it weren't for that and that we're on opposite sides of the country, assuming you'd fit (I'm 6', 230), I'd put you in it in a heartbeat.

LOL, the track owner is a friend of mine and when he sees several of us standing behind my car, he knows what's going on. He'll often come out of the tower and stand with us. Lights will come down, perfect launch, and it'll be WAAAHHHH!!! for about one second, then shuts off! Then we're all laughing our tails off because, again, we know someone just got you know what scared out of them. If that's not worth $4 worth of alcohol, I don't know what is. :D

I always beat them back to the pits space on my bicycle, because it's such an old track that you have to go past the end of the return road, then back up and turn around in the middle of the track and come back at it in order to hit it with anything long. When they shut it off and pull the helmet off, I stick my head down in there and ask "What's your name?" LOL, they look at you for a couple seconds, then light up like "I know that one!"

LOL, that's another thing. I'll have them in the car going over things, including showing them how the reverse lockout works. I'll make them do it half a dozen times, and they'll look at me frustrated like "I've GOT IT already!"

LOL, as soon as they go past me on the burnout I start jogging to back them up. When they stop, the car will sit still. As I go by the driver's compartment, (with a driver frantically searching) I automatically will reach down and hit the lockout lever, sometimes hearing a loud "THANK YOU!" even over the engine! If they forget again when they get to the other end, they're just down there till they figure it out. They always eventually come back! Nobody can describe how hot the seat is or how soaked your suit might be from nervous sweat the first time.

These guys go from "Oh yeah, I could do that, no problem" to eyes as big as golfballs before you even start the engine! Everything changes when you climb down in there. If I didn't know the car went straight every run I couldn't do it. I've put enough passes on it to know that you'd pretty much have to try to wreck it.

All this is just a lowly bracket car. I'd love to see people posting about their first experiences, especially blown cars.

Oh yeah, loved the story. As far as confidence, I've learned that it all goes out the window on the first pass, then gradually comes back in. It took me about 20 passes before I could settle down and really start focusing on cutting lights, judging the other car, etc. It takes a LOT of passes in brackets before you start learning how much brake will slow your car down by how much in an effort to have you only how far in front of another car that's still accelerating IF you're passing them. Weird, because you're really judging "How much am I GOING to pass them by........" because you're not even there yet. Another thing that can't even start to be appreciated until you actually do it.

Last edited:
Gordon,

A couple of things, first, my first name is Alan not Mr.

Second, I was just jackin with ya, when the crew gets here you'll find out you really ran 4.72 @ 304.............LOL And if you don't think I would ever mess with a driver, ask Scott Kalitta.

Alan

P.S. I liked the story, maybe someday we can do it for real.

Amen to all of the above... Alan. I hope to see you at the races this year & I'll introduce myself - then you can jack with me some more! Thanks for the kind words.

Gordon,

Do that, and ask me about Scott K at Las Vegas 1 last year. He ran me over (yes with the Funny Car) in Sonoma to get even.

Alan

You could not prove to me that you did'nt take that ride as it was a very close description of what really goes on including Alan screwing with you. Michael

This has been fantastic reading!! I am also a "career" spectator with years and years of stored dreams of taking that exact ride or any pass for that matter. Thank you Gordon that was cool!!!

Ron
Your stories are awesome! I got so into Gordon's writing and your stories that I was very disapointed when I hit this point of the thread. :( I'm 43 and have had similar dreams for over 30 years. I admit that I'm one of the guilty ones whos ego would have me thinking (to myself :D ) that I could step into a bracket dragster and easily make a pass. Over the years my maturity has taken control I know better. However I still dream of the day that maybe I'll get a chance to test my ego. :D Maybe even own one myself one day. For now this is about as close as I can get. Thanks for taking me along.

Yeah, I felt guilty after posting, like maybe I was rudely hogging Gordon's thread. I just didn't want people to think that you need 8,000 horsepower to have a mind blowing thrill on a dragstrip. One pass in a bracket dragster really will change your life.

Sitting lower to the ground gives you a greater sensation of speed, anyways. Ever ride a 30 MPH go cart? Feels like you're flying. Tommy Ivo wrote one time about when he made the transition from front engine to rear engine dragsters, using the same engine, so the car wasn't going any faster. He said just going from sitting up high behind the engine to sitting down low in front of it, 200 MPH felt like 300.

I do know that there's an optical illusion to it that makes shutdown areas appear shorter than they really are. Like they'd have us draw a real tall, narrow letter "A" in first grade, then lower the angle until it looks normal? My first passes on regular backwoods tracks looked scary and the tendency was to overbrake because it looked like you were running out of room, then you have to finish driving to the other end. That almost bit me when I ran an unfamiliar track once. It looked like I was running out of room, which was normal, so I didn't worry about it. Then it turns out I WAS running out of room! Went FLYING around their loop at the end!

Hey, if you get a chance to do any of the drag racing schools, I'd do it. I can't give the world a ride, but I have offered it to a mater or two in the past. Someone tells me they're going to comp me a trans this Spring for he and his wife to have a weekend, so I may be able to do it for one or two of you as well. The little track we do it at has nine hour test and tune sessions on Saturdays for a whopping $15. There are so many tracks in the area, that it works better for him to have races on Fridays, so it opens Saturdays up for him.

I'd still like to see stories here of other peoples' first passes.

Yeah, I felt guilty after posting, like maybe I was rudely hogging Gordon's thread. I just didn't want people to think that you need 8,000 horsepower to have a mind blowing thrill on a dragstrip. One pass in a bracket dragster really will change your life.

Don't feel guilty at all, I understood exactly what you were saying and agree 100%. Also, like Dave said, I thoroughly enjoy your input. If I ever get to Bristol I'll look you up - if only to say hi face to face.

I've often thought about attending a school but again that is just a dream at the moment. I have two teenage daughters that keep my wallet pretty empty. It's so worth it though. :) Someday my goal is to own a bracket dragster. Nothing extreme. Just something to get down the track reasonably quick.

Ron like you I don't want to take over Gordon's thread with my aspirations. Although I hope you take that as a compliment Gordon. Your writing is the cause for the different stories, dreams and desires in this thread. Nice job. Please post your writings anytime! I'm certain there are a lot of Maters that would really enjoy it. Do me a favor please. Next time, take a pass in a AA/fuel altered for me! :eek: :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back