"The Sounds of Silence" (1 Viewer)

Joe Light, :D:D they've been watching, they are well aware of all the criteria as we all are. There are Many cars out there that are sitting back and watching/waiting for the rule stuff to settle, it's getting there, it has too and I'm not on a tech team, are you? ( in your spare time of course :D:D )

There are a lot of them, don't count them out, that's All I'm Saying.

You already have Hartley, Baca and Millican added into the thicket. That doesn't count out limited schedules from Mitch, Litton, Lagana, The Stevens Family, Paton, Palmer, McMillen, Foley etc.... Don't misconstrue that I'm saying that these guys are in fact racing or not racing, I'm just saying there are more cars out there that people are forgetting about because they haven't been running in the "Lime Light" so to speak over the last couple of years.

Joe Light, :D:D they've been watching, they are well aware of all the criteria as we all are. There are Many cars out there that are sitting back and watching/waiting for the rule stuff to settle, it's getting there, it has too and I'm not on a tech team, are you? ( in your spare time of course

There are a lot of them, don't count them out, that's All I'm Saying.

You already have Hartley, Baca and Millican added into the thicket. That doesn't count out limited schedules from Mitch, Litton, Lagana, The Stevens Family, Paton, Palmer, McMillen, Foley etc.... Don't misconstrue that I'm saying that these guys are in fact racing or not racing, I'm just saying there are more cars out there that people are forgetting about because they haven't been running in the "Lime Light" so to speak over the last couple of years.

Joe Light? lol, yes NHRA just hired me in tech last week!:p

NHRA, from my experience, has done a rather poor job in moving the sport safely forward. I am speaking from my personal experience when I was a competitor (think..way back). Tom & I broght our 33 Willy's, F-Troop, to a NHRA regional meet and was not allowed to compete in A/GS as it didn't have the original 33 frame rails (or some nonsense like that). I had built the chassis using the Logghe Stage I chassis, shortened and narrowed to fit under a B & N glass Willys body. It was probably 10 to 100 times safer car then what they allowed to compete then, and now it's pretty much the standard of what's being run today. Later we put a 426 Hemi on nitro (alot of it) in it and ran with the Hill Bros. outlaw circuit. That car ran 8.00's at 185 plus (pedalin it). The now restored car, with original frame, has been certified to run 7.50, forty one years later.

Another example: I called and wrote NHRA prior to the 69 Nationals requesting permission to bring sophisticated ultra speed movie cameras to record and document body flex and movement of the funny cars. Remember we were experincing windshield failures (with driver injuries) and cars flying from the rear and front, RIP Delmar Heinelt and damned near Larry Reyes, and they turned me down flat.

After that, with the exception of driving the Snake's F/C at the 1970 Nationals, I never raced at one of their events again.

I do, however believe that they are doing a better job these days as they have hired experienced racers.

Flame away!

Jay, for what reason would us Mater's flame away over your remarks or opinions? NHRA might have a beef, but not most of us. Glad to see another "real racer" come on the board and mix it up with us. I have fond memories of the Prock & Howell F-Troop '33 Willys. Yes, I am THAT old too. Keep hanging with us and share some stories of the "way it was" when barnstorming and match racing was alive.

~Kurt

Mark...
First off SHARLAY! Great last name. Mine is pronounced the same.
The 'silence of the association' is like mr Hartman said more of the of the rule now a days. For those of us who post or speak our mind, that is often very hard to understand the need to keep quiet on 'issues', but you cant rock the boat on water that does not make waves.
Your opinion, written or spoken, in the eyes of the powers that be, really does not matter. Neither does mine, or even Mr Hartman. The 'deaf ear' treatment works for them. I think it may be too late for a hearing aid. Perhaps the only way to make them 'hear' is to effect another sense. Perhaps the sense of sight. As long as the stands are full, the income still flows in. They might believe that it is the economy as why they dont see fans in the seats. But, as long as they see REVENUE, the same old song and dance will remain.

Great post, and welcome to the mater!
Timmah!

In today's world silence is the rule for associations, race teams and sponsors. Many things are happening with all of them, but the less said publically, and especially in writing, the better.

The sport has grown in respect to sponsorships and attendance in proportion with the number of non-controversial drivers. Very few sponsors wanted to be connected to a "loose cannon" then or now.

1,000' racing does not have an effect on attendance by the general fans. Many consider the ADRL the fastest growing sanctioning body today, and heaven forbid, they only race 660'.

The economy is only taking it's normal down cycle that it takes every time there is an election that is going to make a change in the presidency. Those that do not plan for it suffer, those that do see it as a time of opportunity.

The fields will be filled by teams that see this as a time of opportunity to fulfill their dreams and goals. My family and I took advantage of the same type of situation the last time it happened in 2000. We were able to field two cars, and qualified 3 at one event, and make a profit because of the short fields. We ran the circuit until the competitor base grew with more money teams and it became economically unfeasible for us to do so. You will see the competitor base become stronger every year for the next 7 years, then we will have another downturn and shake up.

And another thing, qualifiers in the nitro classes in both HRAs get $10,000.00, not the $9,000.00 that is being used on most internet posts.

There is a difference between "colorful" and "Loose Cannon".
The drivers of today are almost dead with respect to John Force or Gary Scelzi. Most are a lifeless body that say the same words over and over.

We agree to disagree with the 1000' rule. We shall indeed see who is right.
As P.T. Barnum once said, "This is show business, without the show, there is no business" Cutting down the show by over 25% will have many new comers saying "that was it?" Again, to grow, you must introduce to new people.

Mr. Hartman, do you feel now is an advantageous time to return to drag racing because of the current conditions?
Do you have plans to field a car again?

In today's world silence is the rule for associations, race teams and sponsors. Many things are happening with all of them, but the less said publically, and especially in writing, the better.

"Silence is the rule".

It is a very advantageous time to field a car. We have had conversations about the subject, but nothing to report one way or the other.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back