The Greek calling it a career (2 Viewers)

The trailer at WWT Last weekend

1602452067946.png

I saw this car some years ago at Wild Horse & the chassis was hauled w/ the front part of the car held up close to the ceiling. I remember the trailer did have a computer & all that. I watched the Greek working on assembling pistons. What an amazing career. NHRA should give him a "Lifetime Achievment" Wally.

what year did greek start driving the schumacher car? at same time didn't lucas oil offer 'till end of career' sponsor?
good to see lucas still on side of black dragster, along with jim head racing, dsr, and greek's longtime sponsor strange.

Now there will be 2 Chicago based cars with different drivers in them since Bobby Bode also secured his funny car license in St Louis. The plan is for Bobby to drive his dads car in Houston. You can bet the Greek and Bob Bode are both pretty excited right now.

Now there will be 2 Chicago based cars with different drivers in them since Bobby Bode also secured his funny car license in St Louis. The plan is for Bobby to drive his dads car in Houston. You can bet the Greek and Bob Bode are both pretty excited right now.
Total side question - Bode’s crew chief was Walt, the last name I forget, right? All I know is the last name sounds completely different that how it’s written out. Anyway, I assume it will be basically the same crew for Bobby as for Bob?

Total side question - Bode’s crew chief was Walt, the last name I forget, right? All I know is the last name sounds completely different that how it’s written out. Anyway, I assume it will be basically the same crew for Bobby as for Bob?
Walt left Bob a few years before I went to Jim Dunn's team and I was at Dunn's for 5 years. John Stewart tuned Bob for a few years and Walt was tuning Billy Torrence. Walt left Torrence's team and Stew went there. About 3 years ago Bob bought a turn key car from Wilkerson and Bob and a couple of his crew guys have been tuning his own car for the past few years with some help from Tim Wilkerson. Unless something changes I think Bob is going to tune Bobby next year...and Alice will be backing him up. 🙂

How many people remember John Stewart as the long haired kid, driving a T/F car they bought from Herm Peterson, and he beat Don Garlits at Irwindale early 70's. I was there & what a shocker! Put that in yer resume. Yeah, I'm one of (the few) people who whupped The Old Man.... :)

How many people remember John Stewart as the long haired kid, driving a T/F car they bought from Herm Peterson, and he beat Don Garlits at Irwindale early 70's. I was there & what a shocker! Put that in yer resume. Yeah, I'm one of (the few) people who whupped The Old Man.... :)
I think Stew was the youngest person to get a top fuel license and now I think Bobby Bode will be the youngest to get a nitro funny car license at 18 . I don't remember how old Del Worsham was but from looking at some of the pictures hanging up on the wall in the bowling alley up stairs in their race shop he looks pretty young. But I think Billy Meyer was the youngest at 19 years old.

Walt left Bob a few years before I went to Jim Dunn's team and I was at Dunn's for 5 years. John Stewart tuned Bob for a few years and Walt was tuning Billy Torrence. Walt left Torrence's team and Stew went there. About 3 years ago Bob bought a turn key car from Wilkerson and Bob and a couple of his crew guys have been tuning his own car for the past few years with some help from Tim Wilkerson. Unless something changes I think Bob is going to tune Bobby next year...and Alice will be backing him up. 🙂
Say what? My head is spinning after reading this post. You never know from 1 race to another who's crewing with who!

I think Stew was the youngest person to get a top fuel license and now I think Bobby Bode will be the youngest to get a nitro funny car license at 18 . I don't remember how old Del Worsham was but from looking at some of the pictures hanging up on the wall in the bowling alley up stairs in their race shop he looks pretty young. But I think Billy Meyer was the youngest at 19 years old.

Billy Meyer was licensed at 16. He didn't compete in an NHRA event until he was 19.

Billy Meyer was licensed at 16. He didn't compete in an NHRA event until he was 19.
That is actually what I meant I just didn't use the right words. 🙂 I think Stew was also 16 when he got his if I remember right.

[IMG alt="Eugene Gray"]https://nitromater.com/data/avatars/s/3/3024.jpg?1486327309[/IMG]
Bode Wins!!!
...Bob did an awesome job of driving, and an awesome job of putting together a great team. You could not find a better group of guys to work with. Walt Przybyl and Mike Stock gave Bob a nice consistent race car that went down the track every lap on Sunday. I could not believe how many teams were...

"If the ground is shakin; and the flames are green, he must be using that Hydrazine."
#1 - #2 - #3 -
That's some fascinating information Bob. Thanks for that.
Many years ago I bought a VHS tape called "The Time Machines" which was a documentary on the 69 US Nationals. They mentioned the use of "Space Age Fuel additives" and showed a couple of Top Fuel cars do the burnout. Then one without a nose piece stops and has its crew top up the tank with presumably hydrazine. The cars stage, launch and go down track. The car that had topped the tank blows off the blower in the lights.

#4 -

That's some great information Bob. Thanks for that.
Years ago I bought a VHS tape called "The Time Machines" which was a documentary about the 69 US Nationals. It showed 2 fuelers do the burnout. Then one stops and the crew topped off the tank with what the commentator called 'space age fuel additives".It took the crew a long time to top the tank. The cars stage and head down track. The one with the "additive" explodes the blower in the lights.
I think I remember NHRA banning topping fuel tank topping as well as "additives" back then.

awesome. i watched that last pass and short interview with the greek. the enormity of it all is indescribable.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back