The Coolest Dragster of ALL TIME!! (1 Viewer)

Historic, yes. Show quality, not by a long shot. In fact, the car is somewhat plane.

Barry Setzer's rear engine Mono was beautiful, and just as innovative for it time. But in the late sixties and early seventies there were so many beautiful, well detailed cars.

I'd have to go with the California Charger as the coolest ever.

d'kid

I can remember building the model in junior high, way cool car! And the Smithsonian shot is classic!

I had the model too Alan. I wish I could remember whatever happened to it. I put a lot of work into it. I fully plumbed and wired the motor. Had a ton of detail for a 1/25 scale model.

I am going to have to go with the Keeling, Clayton and Ramsey Californina Charger. Something about that car's stunning beauty and its win at the long lamented Ontario Motor Speedway.

Mark

In honesty, Garlits cars were cool in the mechanical sense. Looks wise, plain black paint,one blue and a partial white thrown in, decals hither and yon, but what he could do from the fuel pump back was "cool".
RO

Is Ormsby's Streamliner in the Garlits museum?

I don't think so, or at least I didn't see it when I was there this past November. This car is though:
DSC06379.jpg

Is Ormsby's Streamliner in the Garlits museum?

The last I heard (a few years ago) was that Don has the Ormsby streamliner in Museum storage awaiting restoration. I believe that Ormsby's 1989 World Champion car is at the Indianapolis Motor Speeway Museum and they display it every now and then.

Dave

I'll have to dig through my pictures, but I have one of that Garlits car racing the Ormsby streamliner in the finals at the CajunNationals.

I think the coolest thing about Don's cars were that the owner, builder, innovator, driver, and tuner were all the same guy! THAT'S COOL! :cool: No surprise that today's NHRA wouldn't care for or cater to him.

No sponsor attracting businessman, no disrespect intended, will ever get the same kind of appreciation, IMO.

I wish the guy would come on here.

Wasn't that a Snake or 'Goose wedge before the Greek?

Johnny,
At one time, just about everyone and their brother had a Wedge all within a month or so. Leland, Snake, Goose, Greek, Conrad... Started with Mattel, they're swell with the hot wheels cars. But, the added weight and by the ends of the season, the cars were running without.

d'kid

Johnny,
At one time, just about everyone and their brother had a Wedge all within a month or so. Leland, Snake, Goose, Greek, Conrad... Started with Mattel, they're swell with the hot wheels cars. But, the added weight and by the ends of the season, the cars were running without.

d'kid

I wonder if that would've turned out differently if they'd had something like carbon fiber back then? :confused:

Tommy Ivo had some really nice cars after the Showboat. My vote is for The Greek's black car with all the gold plated parts. Was Blair's Fugowee a copy of Big Daddy's liner?

Johnny,

d'kid

Now that you mention it, I remember Leland's. Never saw The Greek or Conrads. If memory serves, Garlits response was the 'Liner. Saw it @ OCIR. It was a real sled. The Spaghetti Bender's car (w/Tidwell etc.) was around at the same time and ran reasonably well.

Hands down, the best ever...

70-44_z.jpg

We kinda copied the feel of it back in the early 90's...

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back