The Coolest Dragster of ALL TIME!! (1 Viewer)

It is cool. I'm partial to Tom Hanna's personal FED car. Or any race car I own(which I don't own any).
Lee
Nitroclovers

Nope, nothing more needs to be said!
88-5204_428px.jpg

Last edited:
I can remember building the model in junior high, way cool car! And the Smithsonian shot is classic!

When I saw the title, those were the only two that came to mind immediately. I think I'm slightly, only slightly, partial to Ormsby's too.

Can't argue with that.... I have a question for the "old school" guys..

What, if any, is the advantage of the "capped" or closed rear wheels and why aren't they used today?

my favorites of all time were the 301 c.i. unblown chevies jr. fuelers that ran on pure nitro back in the day-short little wheelbases and all. Here are some pics:

Freeman & Sons Racing

here
My second favorite was Wally Markett's Desoto C/D that was a national record holder in the early 60s.

I would have to agree and go with Gary Ormsby's Streamliner. Garlit's is cool too, but that Castrol car was awesome to see in person. I know it was heavy and stuff, but would love to see it run in todays time. I am sure NHRA would never let that happen though.

The One and Only.............Keeling & Clayton - CALIFORNIA CHARGER

Although, the front engined Soapy Sales dragster driven by the late Steve Carbone, was something to see..........

What, if any, is the advantage of the "capped" or closed rear wheels and why aren't they used today?

IIRC, Don thought there was a lot of air turbulence associated with the open wheels and had those covers made. They didn't really accomplish anything and covers are not legal today.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back