Team Force continues to evaluate data; won't compete in Houston (1 Viewer)

I don't see anyone trying to tell you what you can..and cannot post. Wayne just pointed an article by Burk..

All the speculation as to what happened should wait IMO..until the Force camp chooses to release it..if and when.

We at least need to remain civil eh?
In his previous post to me his tone was that what I posted was nothing but speculation and to let the experts handle it. Civil, huh? :rolleyes:

In his previous post to me his tone was that what I posted was nothing but speculation and to let the experts handle it. Civil, huh? :rolleyes:
And that thread is gone!

Anyway, that's not bad advice, Brent.

When everybody starts peeing in each others chips..it'll get deleted.

This has been a trying time..and it's hard not to speculate/draw conclusions..and want answers. I would just prefer members not acting like 4th graders (and I'm not pointing fingers anywhere).

We need to be adult about all this.

This place has been great..a very soothing place to come and heal. I'd like to see it stay that way.

Respect the teams decision , they will be missed but they need time to heal somewhat ,but more importantly , try to find some answers.

This is from NHRA.com:

The JFR crew chiefs, headed by Medlen's father, John, will be working closely with NHRA, the Professional Racers Owners Organization, and the team's vendors to evaluate the series of events that caused a tire blowout and an extreme vibration beyond anything previously recorded in the sport.

Tire blowout does not necessarily mean tire failure..............

And if you'd bothered to read my post in the now deleted thread you'd have seen that I NEVER said the tire was the cause. I said only the tire could cause "an extreme vibration beyond anything previously recorded in the sport." There's nothing else on that car that could cause that kind of vibration...period! Something might have hit the tire and caused it to fail, I don't know. The fact remains that only a failed tire could cause a vibration that large. Thanks again for trying to tell me what I can and cannot post. :rolleyes:

Relax a little....jeez guys......As if you know what really happened anyways....

Last edited:
Kudos to John for making a very difficult decision. I'm sure his teams would like to be racing this weekend, but something is wrong here and I salute him for placing his driver's safety first.
I had serious doubts that an impact with the guardrail caused Eric's head injury. I'm sure JFR has shared what they know with other teams in the interest of safety. Should FC race until there are some answers?
I'm glad I don't have to make that decision. We can only hope for a safe race this weekend. - Jim

Burk should keep his freakin beak shut until he is 100% sure of anything... :mad: And then I am only going to believe JFR... Not NHRA or anyone else... PERIOD!!

I am no chassis expert and am not trying to be a keyboard crew chief but in one of the articles it states that they might have to make stronger chassis rails . Is there a specific reason that round tubing is used for the lower chassis rails on the fuelers because I know its strong being chromoly but if they used chrome moly box-section for that lower chassis rails would it be stronger or would that be a stupid idea?

Burk should keep his freakin beak shut until he is 100% sure of anything... :mad: And then I am only going to believe JFR... Not NHRA or anyone else... PERIOD!!
Ray..people speculate..some good..some bad. Personally, I would rather see everyone keep the beak shut until we find out what happened..but that isn't going to happen.

So hang in there, buddy.

I am actually surprised by this move. I know after heavy greif times I have to get back to doing what I do. Everybody handles things there own way though, I hope jfr is able to heal and able to figure out what happened

I am no chassis expert and am not trying to be a keyboard crew chief but in one of the articles it states that they might have to make stronger chassis rails . Is there a specific reason that round tubing is used for the lower chassis rails on the fuelers because I know its strong being chromoly but if they used chrome moly box-section for that lower chassis rails would it be stronger or would that be a stupid idea?

I think box is only going to be stronger in four specific directions, and would tend to cave/flatten in all others. Round should have the same strength in all directions.

If anybody seen the pictures after the crash, the tire was still on the wheel. It appeared to have been deflated. In almost every tire failure the tire is completely shredded. John Force has made this decision to sit out because they want to make the cars as safe as possible. Obviously nothing like this has happened to a funny car in the past and hopefully never again.

Here is an excerpt from Jeff Burk's article today. I'll choose to trust his sources rather than your conclusions.
Got anything to say now? :rolleyes:

::: Drag Racing Online ::: Columns - Agent 1320 - 3/30/2007

RETRACTION
“In yesterday’s Burk’s Blast, I speculated that Eric Medlen had a chassis failure that caused his accident during testing at Gainesville. I now know without question that the team’s Murf McKinney chassis DID NOT fail prior to the tire failing. Further, I talked personally with Goodyear’s spokesman who told me that the tire was in Akron still being examined by their scientists and engineers to determine exactly why the tire failed.

“A spokesman from John Force Racing told DRO, ‘We have only begun evaluation and no summary has been made and testing is not completed.’ We regret any grief the statement may have caused JFR or McKinney Chassis.” -- Jeff Burk, Editor[3/30/2007]

also:

MEDLEN ‘SHAKEN’ TO DEATH
In an interview on Sirius Satellite Radio NASCAR channel 128’s “Driver’s Seat” today (March 30) Dr. John Melvin, a Biomedical Research Scientist who has recently retired from General Motors and who developed a crash data recorder for Indy cars that measured acceleration data from crashes, said that he had examined the remains of Eric Medlen’s chassis along with members of the NHRA including Graham Light, and told interviewer John Kernan that probably Eric Medlen was “shaken” to death.

Graham Light, NHRA Sr. VP Racing Operations, passed that information along at the drivers meeting at Houston Raceway Park today. Dr. Melvin further stated in the interview that a lab at Wayne State University that specializes in investigating these kinds of crashes will be studying this crash starting next month.[3/30/2007]

I think you owe me an apology, or two.

Last edited:
Wayne, be grateful the photos of the chassis remains weren't taken by you with a Canon camera. This debate would take on a whole new dimension.

For the record, I fully support JRF for making the sacrifice in points to lay business aside long enough to research the cause of Eric's passing and do all they can to rectify such and to allow time for grieving, which may be the most important reason for timing out.

I think box is only going to be stronger in four specific directions, and would tend to cave/flatten in all others. Round should have the same strength in all directions.

That is 100% correct. Chassis tubing had nothing to do with this injury. There are people here who know what caused this - it does not appear that tire failure was the cause. I hope that JFR has passed what they know to other teams.

Chassis tubing had nothing to do with this injury. There are people here who know what caused this - it does not appear that tire failure was the cause.
That doesn't seem to square with this:
I now know without question that the team’s Murf McKinney chassis DID NOT fail prior to the tire failing. Further, I talked personally with Goodyear’s spokesman who told me that the tire was in Akron still being examined by their scientists and engineers to determine exactly why the tire failed.
::: Drag Racing Online ::: Columns - Agent 1320 - 3/30/2007

Man..I'd just wait before this gets out of control.

Burk has already had to apologize for posting bullsh!t yesterday..let's not go the same route without knowing what the hell we're talking about..along these lines!!

RETRACTION

"We regret any grief the statement may have caused JFR or McKinney Chassis.” -- Jeff Burk, Editor[3/30/2007]

THAT COMES FROM SPECULATION WITHOUT HAVING THE FACTS.

So please..let us not go there.

Man..I'd just wait before this gets out of control.

Burk has already had to apologize for posting bullsh!t yesterday..let's not go the same route without knowing what the hell we're talking about..along these lines!!

RETRACTION

"We regret any grief the statement may have caused JFR or McKinney Chassis.” -- Jeff Burk, Editor[3/30/2007]

THAT COMES FROM SPECULATION WITHOUT HAVING THE FACTS.

So please..let us not go there.
But when the Goodyear spokesman flat out says the tire failed that kinda removes speculation over what happened, right?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back