Team Force continues to evaluate data; won't compete in Houston (1 Viewer)

I respect their decision.....we will miss them all and they continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

i stand by thier decision 100%. my heart is with the entire force team. i hope they can come out and kick butt in vegas :(

A great response from a great team.

This may unoffically break Forces qualifying streak, but who cares.

I am very shocked by the news, but the right decison. It will be very easy to say it won't happen again and let's get on with it.

Like him or loith him, he is Mr Funny Car. He has done so much for this sport. He and Kenny Bernstien - to a lesser extent, have done the most in regard to safety for the Funny Car class.

JFR is doing the right thing, finding out what has happened and making as many changes the team feel needs to be done in order for this not to EVER happen again.

A Classy guy, doesn't care about the money, the race, the sponsors. Just cares for the members of his team.

Good on him!

Cheers

James
[email protected]

I support their decision 100%. It won't be the same without their team there but it already wasn't going to be the same without Eric. No use putting themselves in unnecessary danger when they still haven't found exactly what caused Eric's death.

Can`t say it`s a surprise, one of the guys on Corys team told me they wouldn`t be in Houston when he called the day of Erics passing. Hopefully we`ll see them back in Vegas, can`t let Capps get too much of a lead on Hight.

This is where the Countdown might save JFR in their title quest. I do 110% support their decision though.

Would be nice if they feel they want to, the Funny Car teams get together and use the event as some sort of charity non - points earning race and give any price winnings to a charity that Eric supported?

Or something like that. After all folks do say that the Funny Car racers are of a different bread!?

Cheers

James

Would be nice if they feel they want to, the Funny Car teams get together and use the event as some sort of charity non - points earning race and give any price winnings to a charity that Eric supported?

It's a nice sentiment but they could donate the prize winnings of the currently scheduled event where people are already paying to see them appear.

It isn't about the venue, it is about the timing and the circumstances.

JFR passing on Houston is so appropriate. I take it as a gesture of love and respect for their fallen teammate.

As their lives are built around racing and winning, to chose not to go race has a tremendous meaning. There's sometimes more important things than the next drag race.

I feel so sad for all at JFR and especially the Medlin family. The entire drag racing fan community would be happy to do what ever we could to help you through these times.....

-85% jimmy

forces streak won't be broken because if he isn't there to try to qualify , he can't DNQ. it's gota be tough on john medlin. i think i feel the worst for him. at least he knows he looked into his sons eyes and for that brief moment there is no motor sounds, no problems or worries, just a son and father meeting eye to eye.

Did anyone notice what was said about the extreme vibration that was felt? And apparently, it was said in that article that the tire blew.

I miss Eric :(

Did anyone notice what was said about the extreme vibration that was felt? And apparently, it was said in that article that the tire blew.

I miss Eric :(
Yes, I did, in the "Force not at Houston?" thread that recently disappeared. I was then told by another member that I should just let the "experts" reach the conclusion, not me. I guess quoting the press-release isn't good enough these days. :rolleyes:

I was then told by another member that I should just let the "experts" reach the conclusion, not me. I guess quoting the press-release isn't good enough these days. :rolleyes:

Here is an excerpt from Jeff Burk's article today. I'll choose to trust his sources rather than your conclusions.

===============

No one has stated it officially yet but I’m 99% sure based on information I’ve been given by very reliable sources that Eric Medlen’s chassis suffered some type of structural failure and that the Goodyear tires DID NOT fail. I’m going to get an official briefing from someone at Goodyear Tire and Rubber tomorrow but in the mean time let’s all give the Goodyear folks a little slack and some credit. I’ve been harder on Goodyear than anyone but after all in this month’s Innerview with Austin Coil he says that the tires they currently build are very good. His opinion is good enough for me.

Chassis builder Murf McKinney was at San Antonio, which is the first time I can remember seeing him at an IHRA race in a long time. He was there reportedly checking frame rails on Nitro Funny Cars that use chassis built in his shop. Obviously a lethal combination of horsepower, torque, down-force and 300-mph-plus speeds is stressing the current iteration of Funny Car chassis beyond what anyone imagined. The real question now is should NHRA/SFI make a rule that strengthens the chassis using bigger and heavier tubing, which in turn will probably make the cars heavier? Should the crew chiefs continue to be able to tweak the current engine/ignition/fuel system/down-force packages to keep delivering 330-mph speeds or should the sport finally admit that they are simply making too much horsepower, torque, and speed for the cars and tracks to safely handle.

::: Drag Racing Online ::: Burk's Blast - Notes on my napkin from Rudy’s Bar-B-Que in New Braunfels, TX - 3/28/2007

===============

Here is an excerpt from Jeff Burk's article today. I'll choose to trust his sources rather than your conclusions.
And if you'd bothered to read my post in the now deleted thread you'd have seen that I NEVER said the tire was the cause. I said only the tire could cause "an extreme vibration beyond anything previously recorded in the sport." There's nothing else on that car that could cause that kind of vibration...period! Something might have hit the tire and caused it to fail, I don't know. The fact remains that only a failed tire could cause a vibration that large. Thanks again for trying to tell me what I can and cannot post. :rolleyes:

I agree 110% with all of that Wayne. That was very nicely stated.
We are going to miss the JFR team in Houston

And if you'd bothered to read my post in the now deleted thread you'd have seen that I NEVER said the tire was the cause. I said only the tire could cause "an extreme vibration beyond anything previously recorded in the sport." There's nothing else on that car that could cause that kind of vibration...period! Something might have hit the tire and caused it to fail, I don't know. The fact remains that only a failed tire could cause a vibration that large. Thanks again for trying to tell me what I can and cannot post. :rolleyes:
I don't see anyone trying to tell you what you can..and cannot post. Wayne just pointed an article by Burk..

All the speculation as to what happened should wait IMO..until the Force camp chooses to release it..if and when.

We at least need to remain civil eh?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back