Supplier of nitromethane this year? (1 Viewer)

From what I remember the nitro was purchased at the Texas Motorplex at the national event.

Thanks Bob for that link about Oklahoma.
Lots of interesting information in it that I didn't know or had forgotten about.
It's a shame that the activities of a couple of nutjobs using Nitro in their terrorist act. Has impacted all forms of Motorsports that use Nitro.

Wow really? That's nuts.

No, he was nuts! Terrible time here in the Heartland. Not nearly as bad as 9-11 although one of our own citizens doing that seemed to amplify the ignorance and pain of it. It was the loss of the children in the daycare center that we most remember.

If I remember correctly, Paul Candies was the first to bring nitro in from China for racing. It was a protest of sorts, for the extremely high price Angus was charging. Everyone got excited about that and at the time, I posted on one of the boards, "Are you sure you want the Chinese to control if there is nitro racing?" Well so far it looks like it has worked out.

I went to Oklahoma to look at a trailer with Dennis Taylor not long after it happened. Words can't describe what we saw. The massive crater in the street was horrifying, let alone that all the buildings literally for blocks had their windows blown out and ceilings caved in. Buildings nearby had chunks of the federal building (what was left of it) stuck in the side of them. Amazing what a little fuel and Scott's Turf Builder can do.

The explosion blew the windows out of my daughters school about a 3/4 of a mile away. Fortunatly all the students were in the cafeteria on the other side of the building. She was 8 and she still mildly suffers from the trama as a result of that day. I felt the explosion strongly shake the ground and shake objects off the wall and I was 18 miles away. It was so loud and violent I thought a gasoline transport truck had exploded about 3 blocks from my location. My wife had just left a parking space where the rear differential of the Ryder truck landed some 5 blocks away. The concussion knocked her car off the roadway. Just as I know there is with 9-11 there are 1000s of stories from that day.

I was standing on a tank battery north of Edmond, Ok when it blew up. There was a workover rig working on a well nearby. The blast was so violent and loud, I just knew the well they were working on blew out. Google Waterloo Road and Interstate 35 to see how far away that is from downtown OKC.

I just attended the annual nitro meeting today at Pomona and they showed us more pictures of the aftermath of Oklahoma. It's hard to believe that just 3 barrels could do so much damage.

Rule number two. Don't be a geeky looking dude hoping to start a TF or FC career by hauling your ride around in an old Ryder truck....:D

I just attended the annual nitro meeting today at Pomona and they showed us more pictures of the aftermath of Oklahoma. It's hard to believe that just 3 barrels could do so much damage.
There was also about 6500 pounds of ANFO to go along with the nitromethane.

I think The Don got in trouble for having non NHRA sold fuel in his pits. Not the origin.
My understanding was he was not selling it at the meet. It was stored in his trailer in sealed containers and Graham Light(bulb) decided it shouldn't be there, whether it was being used or not.

Last edited:
For everyone replying to (quoting) comments in this thread.... this thread was bumped from 2015.
I was reading for a while before I got to thinking, there sure are a lot of post to this one already, then I looked at the dates in the post, lol.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back