Street Racing crash kills 7 (1 Viewer)

Re: Street Racing in Maryland Kills 8

I have an alert set up for drag racing, and I got several hits yesterday about this tragedy. After reading them, I spent the next couple of hours writing to the sites the incorrectly called this drag racing, when it was clearly the result of street racing. Some sites correctly identified it as street racing in their article, but the headline read 'drag racing'.

When I read my two Sunday papers this morning, one of them had a small blurb in the lower right corner of the front page which said "Street racing deaths". When I went to the article, there in half inch headlines, it said '8 Killed at Maryland drag race'. Here comes another letter.

JA

I have an alert set up for drag racing, and I got several hits yesterday about this tragedy. After reading them, I spent the next couple of hours writing to the sites the incorrectly called this drag racing, when it was clearly the result of street racing. Some sites correctly identified it as street racing in their article, but the headline read 'drag racing'.

When I read my two Sunday papers this morning, one of them had a small blurb in the lower right corner of the front page which said "Street racing deaths". When I went to the article, there in half inch headlines, it said '8 Killed at Maryland drag race'. Here comes another letter.

JA
Jackie, keep the letters going out. The letters will do some good as far as reporting, but the main issue is to stop this from happening. The community,local police,track operators, all need to set a meeting with these group leaders and work out a deal to use the local track to do their racing. This will be a must do to stop any more tragedy's from happening. Apparently some racers have already done this and they need to help authorities get through to the others as well. These groups are smart and well organized, lets get them to use their skills at the track.

My local newspaper (Elgin, IL) had an Associated Press article. Headline stated "8 dead after street-racing accident". It didn't mention the words drag racing once in the article. It was written by Stephen Manning for AP.

Chicago Tribune headline says "8 spectators at illegal race killed". It also never mentions the words drag racing but refers several times to illegal street racing. It was written by Sarah Abruzzese for the New York Times News Service.

At least a few people are getting it right.

Our local paper initially ran a 'illegal drag racing' headline, but a follow up story on Sunday correctly stated 'illegal street racing', and used the term a few times throughout the article.

I watched it on CNN Headline this morning. They must have said "illegal street racing" 10 times. Not once in the 3 minute piece did they say drag racing.

Jack

Yesterday morning the local Fox station called it 'illegal street racing' when teasing into the story, but kept calling it 'illegal drag racing' and even referred to them as 'drag racers' when they actually reported the story. :rolleyes: I fired off an e-mail.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back