Steve Torrence (1 Viewer)

Willard Buff from Texas ran the "Golddigger" for over 20 years, then Troy grew up in it !
I don't remember Willard Buff but Billy Campbell campaigned the Gold Digger rear eng. dragster in the '70s.
And unrelated to that team Bud Richter ran the Golddigger FC's. In 1970, Bud raced the ex-'68 King Fish Cuda, (which became the '69 red-white Stardust, driven by Ron O'Donnell). But Ritcher's real big splash came a year later w/ the '71 Golddigger Mach 1 driven by Gary Bolger (who most recall from the '90's Creasy-Tyrant FC team). The '71 Digger had the impregnated gold metalflake finish w/ blue accents.
It was one of the most successful new '71 season FCs. And that was saying a lot considering how many FCs were racing at the time!
They won the Popular Hot Rodding Championships by defeating the Blue Max-Tharp in the final.
(this is my first post, thanks, James Ibusuki)

Oh I'm sure he's as worried about her as she is about him, as well as several others. Makes for great competition.

I don't remember Willard Buff but Billy Campbell campaigned the Gold Digger rear eng. dragster in the '70s.
And unrelated to that team Bud Richter ran the Golddigger FC's. In 1970, Bud raced the ex-'68 King Fish Cuda, (which became the '69 red-white Stardust, driven by Ron O'Donnell). But Ritcher's real big splash came a year later w/ the '71 Golddigger Mach 1 driven by Gary Bolger (who most recall from the '90's Creasy-Tyrant FC team). The '71 Digger had the impregnated gold metalflake finish w/ blue accents.
It was one of the most successful new '71 season FCs. And that was saying a lot considering how many FCs were racing at the time!
They won the Popular Hot Rodding Championships by defeating the Blue Max-Tharp in the final.
(this is my first post, thanks, James Ibusuki)
(this is my first post, thanks, James Ibusuki) The artist?

James, I have the Pure Hel/Heaven altered numbered and signed poster framed and mounted in my office, Still looks great and I enjoy it daily. Thanks

James, did you ever see Drag Cartoons by Pete Millar? I usta read those all the time. Very funny, but he used to get in trouble w/ NHRA all the time because of comments he put in the cartoons. Heh He had a character called Temple McFlathead, who was based on a real racer, always ran Flathead dragsters. Millar actually ran a front engined dragster with a Fiat body on it, called the Chicken Coupe. Anyhoo, I had a chance to correspond with him briefly before he passed. Always was impressed by his knowledge of drag racing. That is what impressed me with your paintings, how you captured the atmosphere of the races. I really hope you can do that again in the future. :)

Hey all, I wonder if a separate thread for talking about drag racing art (photography, paintings, etc...) would be in order, because this thread has become slightly derailed.

Would be OK by me, I have several copies of the Bernstein first to 300 mph. Prints and posters. I was a MAC dealer when he ran that.

Since I got this Steve Torrence thread off course permit me to try and "reset" it! :)
I think all of the banter between the teams is entertaining. It's more fun than hearing the same tired list of supporters
w/ little passion and energy. I'm not much of a Steve Torrence fan but I can't argue w/ his success. And I do think his jabs
are a good thing for the sport. Passion is what makes anything thrive. It makes people take action, whether that's to go racing,
buy an expensive seat at a national event......or yes, take the time to watch NHRA racing on TV!

Leah is my favorite in TF. I think she can do wonders for the sport and bring much attention to NHRA racing.
We've already seen some examples w/ newspapers doing articles on drag racing that used to ignore the sport. Leah was also on one of those
Good Morning America type of shows. She's got the whole package, the talent, looks, persona and now, finally the proper backing.
I expect her to do great things w/ DSR.

However, one tiny crit I have for the Papa John's dragster. I know the story behind it being gold w/ the 2 black stripes, that it's a sentimental
nod for John Schnatter's Camaro. However, it really doesn't showcase Papa John's logo. That rail should be in bright red, w/ a minor green stripe running the length, maybe a white stripe on the top surface trimmed in green. Then it would really stand out, especially in a class where there are far too many black or mostly black dragsters. Think of a 2017 update of the old La Victoria dragster that Mike Dunn drove and you'll get the picture!

When you started describing that color scheme the first thing I thought of was La Victoria. I miss Mike and that car out running. Oh and the salsa.

Troy, yeah, those were the days when a fuel car had a corporate sponsor AND STILL looked good!
Today, too many are just black, or black/white w/ the sponsor's name slapped on the sides.
The Mike Salinas dragster is a breath of fresh air in today's dull looking TF class. Candy over pearl white was the drag racing foundation for great looking paint jobs and Mike's rail is a bright orange example!

Torrence did a funny interview on the show today. He saw Papa John in person & said he looked like he was ready to rumble. heh I think Steve needs to invite Papa John to move to Texas (not Austin) and things would be OK between them. :rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back