Steve Evans and Me (1 Viewer)

n/a

Nitro Member
The day I spent with Steve Evans

The day I spent with Steve Evans at McLeod Clutches was a day I'll never forget.
I had no idea when Dennis Bress called to ask if we could bring my Dad's 67 Nova S/G and my 64 Nova street car, it would involve being on camera with Steve. I was terrified and each time they yelled cut and we started over, I couldn't remember my lines!
Funny thing being, the lines were all mine as Steve told me to say what I wanted so it wouldn't come across as acting.
He was so patient with me and at one point telling me 'I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you"!

I was 18 in the video and Steve being 58 when he passed, I realized he was 38 when we shot this.

Hope this works:
Steve Evans and Me 1981 McLeod Clutches - YouTube

RIP Steve.

Last edited:
I got the chance to briefly talk with Steve at Topeka, I had watched and listened to him my whole life, when I ran into him all I could think of was "holy cow this is a big man" I guess I never realized how tall he was. The sport has never been the same since his passing, he was the voice (along with McClellan) of the NHRA.....I don't know if it's nostalgia or what but it makes me long for the Diamond P days.....nothing like waiting a week or two for the results of the race when watching it (2nd round through finals) in a hour and a half with no qualifying coverage unless something really big or ugly happened.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back