The late Steve Evans 60th Anniversary style start at Maple Grove. (1 Viewer)

Dave

Nitro Member
As i'm putting my collection on my computer, I came across this from 1996. Steve Evans gave a similar command to light em up like they are doing this year for the 60th anniversary race. Thought I would share it with you all here.

Steve Evans 60th Anniversary Style Startup - YouTube

Alot sure has changed in 15 years. This was the first race after Indy and the loss of Blaine Johnson. The only 3 drivers to qualify for Top Fuel in that race, and the one today are Larry Dixon, Bob Vandergriff, and Pat Dakin. You now have Del Worsham, who was in Funny Car then in the Top Fuel field, and Jim Head from Top Fuel to Funny Car. The other Funny Car drivers qualifying 15 years later? John Force, Tony Pedregon, Cruz Pedregon, Tim Wilkerson, and Jeff Arend. Arend won his first race here at this event in 1996. They also used to race a full quarter mile, and were on live TV for the first round and the final rounds. Those were the days.

Last edited:
As i'm putting my collection on my computer, I came across this from 1996. Steve Evans gave a similar command to light em up like they are doing this year for the 60th anniversary race. Thought I would share it with you all here.

Steve Evans 60th Anniversary Style Startup - YouTube

Alot sure has changed in 15 years. This was the first race after Indy and the loss of Blaine Johnson. The only 3 drivers to qualify for Top Fuel in that race, and the one today are Larry Dixon, Bob Vandergriff, and Pat Dakin. You now have Del Worsham, who was in Funny Car then in the Top Fuel field, and Jim Head from Top Fuel to Funny Car. The other Funny Car drivers qualifying 15 years later? John Force, Tony Pedregon, Cruz Pedregon, Tim Wilkerson, and Jeff Arend. Arend won his first race here at this event in 1996. They also used to race a full quarter mile, and were on live TV for the first round and the final rounds. Those were the days.

This was also the event where Angelle Sampey became a star setting the Nat'l Record then getting the wally when the soon to be champ (sadly for the last time) Dave Schultz went red and she was riding for the late John Myers.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back