Sounds Of The Strip (1 Viewer)

Jet

Nitro Member
The "Sounds Of The Strip" segment of the NHRA shows are the best parts since you don't have to listen to Paul Page rant on and on about the Chase/Countdown drama. This is the most exciting he has been all season for all the wrong reasons.

The "Sounds Of The Strip" segment of the NHRA shows are the best parts since you don't have to listen to Paul Page rant on and on about the Chase/Countdown drama. This is the most exciting he has been all season for all the wrong reasons.

Yea, I especially like it when the first 10 funny cars in a qualifying session with hot air and track temperatures smoke the tires and then out of no where Hight rips off a 4.7-something and Page says "No help for Hight as he remains number 1 on his previous run" which was run when the air and track temps were 20-30 degrees cooler the night before. Mike Dunn just about spits out a waffle to point out what a great run that was.

Or, instead of commenting on how a race was won or lost he baffles us with his (prepared days earlier) canned comment about Tony looking for his first win at that track since the birth of his twin pups in the back of the Dixon's pick-up truck. Dunn follows up with the details.

One improvement I've seen is how they are comparing who ran what during the current session to give you an idea of how the field is running. They had graphics to point out low et of the session. That to me is a lot better than Page saying "no help for either pair" after seeing one or both rip of a 4.5's in the heat of the day.

If you've ever noticed Paul doesn't say anything until the monitor comes up with the numbers. He is still lost after two years.

I know he is trying but don't think he will ever get it. He is just out of his element at the drags

I think I heard more genuine excitement and knowledge when he did the Bobbin Threadin' Contest a couple of months ago. Hmmmmm....maybe it was some extreme bmx show or something. Hell, I don't know anymore! ;

And I really don't care. I watch the show to see the broadcast of what I love....I LOVE THIS SPORT!

Yea, I especially like it when the first 10 funny cars in a qualifying session with hot air and track temperatures smoke the tires and then out of no where Hight rips off a 4.7-something and Page says "No help for Hight as he remains number 1 on his previous run" which was run when the air and track temps were 20-30 degrees cooler the night before. Mike Dunn just about spits out a waffle to point out what a great run that was.

That says it all right there!!

One suggestion about "Sounds of the Strip". I personally would rather hear just the cars than all of the other stuff. Start from Fire Up and run it to the to Finish Line. Cut out the pit action and top end stuff with the drivers getting out of there cars. I love to crank up my surround to hear the CACK and it can get a bit anoying to hear an air wrench that loud. Just a suggestion.

Dave

I don't like the sound of the strip segment, basically because it doesn't do it justice. At least stay with the cars, hearing some wrenches clang together doesn't seem all the sound worthy to me. On the bright side though at least Page a)can pronounce it correctly, b) doesn't talk through it and c) doesn't realize something was great 2 minutes after it happens

how about a microphone in the men's room during the first couple
of nitro races so we can hear some moron talking to himself saying
something like, "jeez, that's pretty darn loud, i better tuck in my
'sh#t happens' t-shirt and go find my buddy, i wonder if that's the
big cars?"
just kiddin', but not really. this is the kind of fan i don't want but
i know we have them; walking up into the bleachers sometimes half
way thru a pro session......i know, i've watched them.
sorry, got a little sidetracked from the topic.

If you've ever noticed Paul doesn't say anything until the monitor comes up with the numbers. He is still lost after two years.

I know he is trying but don't think he will ever get it. He is just out of his element at the drags

great point! after 2 years he still has no clue! how is that possible?

At the Memphis race, final round of top fuel, both cars are staged and ready to launch and there on the screen is John Force with jaws flapping about his wonderfull sponsors. There is absolutely nothing John could say at that time that would interest me. I do not blame Force for this screwup, I blame the ESPN crew. The fuel cars were at halftrack before they took Force of the screen and went exclusively to the race. This is not the first time that happened but it would be nice if it was the last time. Rant over!!!:(

And when did the starting line camera guys become part of the story?

"Their shirts are gonna be real dirty at the end of the day..."

WTF?!

Last edited:
At the Memphis race, final round of top fuel, both cars are staged and ready to launch and there on the screen is John Force with jaws flapping about his wonderfull sponsors. There is absolutely nothing John could say at that time that would interest me. I do not blame Force for this screwup, I blame the ESPN crew. The fuel cars were at halftrack before they took Force of the screen and went exclusively to the race. This is not the first time that happened but it would be nice if it was the last time. Rant over!!!:(
OH NO YOU DIDN'T! You can't bash ANYTHING John Force does. He is ALWAYS right. YOU GOT THAT!

(I agree with you).

I wish sounds of the strip lasted for an entire round. Say - the semis. That'd be good.

DLB

And when did the starting line camera guys become part of the story?

"Their shirts are gonna be real dirty at the end of the day..."

WTF?!

Steve, I got a chance to meet the camera guys on the starting line and they are both awesome. I thanked them for giving us the close views of the races...after which both said, "well thanks for watching the shows so that we can still have jobs."

I got to talk to one very briefly and the other a bit more. He said that he wasn't a fan before coming to the races, but he sure is now.

I thought it it cool that they are making them part of the show. It takes many to make a show like that happen.

Steve, I got a chance to meet the camera guys on the starting line and they are both awesome. I thanked them for giving us the close views of the races...after which both said, "well thanks for watching the shows so that we can still have jobs."

I got to talk to one very briefly and the other a bit more. He said that he wasn't a fan before coming to the races, but he sure is now.

I thought it it cool that they are making them part of the show. It takes many to make a show like that happen.

Jeremy, I certainly wasn't trying to knock the talent or professionalism of those two guys. They do, indeed, give us some great shots, and I'm very appreciative of that.

I'm aware of the amount of resources required to produce a show like this. My point was why is the actual production aspect becoming a story unto itself?

I tune in to see drag racing, not a human interest story about the production crew. Human interest regarding racers or fans? No problem there. That adds to the overall experience.

The segment in question added nothing for me, personally. But hey, that's just me... It's all good!

Kind of neat, though, that those guys have turned into fans!

JMHO

Let's see... I tune in to watch the CARS run.... therefore, run the whole dang three hours as "Sounds of the Strip"... Let Dunn give us a recap after a pass... ET, Speed... win/loss... Do the Human intrest stuff on NHRA today... top end interviews, just pump in Alan over top while the next pair is backing up from their burnout... don't need visual...

And Yes John... I know who Sponsors you, and Bobby V, and Scott K, ect, ect, ect... I can Flippin' Read... Top end interview only means something when it's about what the car DID... I know who gives you the "Big Bucks" to play... I use them...

And No, I don't Drink Powerade... as long as those idiots scream at me, I won't...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back