Short wheelbase dragsters (1 Viewer)

Sitting that far forward you don't know the car is out of shape until your looking at the slicks and their in front of you. LOL

It’s funny how cyclic fads are in the sport. My first Dragster was a 190 inch hard tail, super common for that time period (1988) but everybody was going to 225” cars for brackets and super comp. A few years later everybody moved to 4 link cars in SC so I grabbed a lightly used 225” Neil & Parks hard tail car that I drove for almost 20 years until my crurrent blown 246” car. I will say at 6.0’s 220 mph this current M&M car is a total Cadillac compared to low 8’s high 7’s in those other two cars. I do see the benefits of turning, trailering a short 200” car especially as a 4-link as many are (I know Danny Nelson has quite a few out there). When my kids were little I pulled our 190” car down from the rafters (never could sell it) and set it right by their Jr Dragsters...it was almost the same length...they were blown away we ran 170+ for years in that thing.

I have seen both of these cars run. Dave beat Darryl Gwynn at the national event at Firebird one year (big upset) & that little car could pull a mean wheelie. The second car has been around awhile. Don't know who drives it, but have never seen it run a full pass. It would be like driving a jet car, where the driver sits that far forward.
Yeah, I took this at the Winternationals where it never made a full pass. I'm all for innovation but looking at this car makes me wonder, what problem it is trying to solve?

Maybe putting the driver on the front axle would prevent wheelies? Nahhhh, but can you imagine the ride if that thing ever did a big wheelie?

There is a Dragster running this class where driver sets almost on front axle. Did not run that well on pass I saw it make. I have to say it quite different from anything I've seen

AF.jpg

This car was built 20 year's ago for one of the judging the stripe categories. It has been talked about before. I joked the driver would be the first to the scene of the accident. (forgive me) Bill Dunlap drove the car as well as many others have without much success... - not crashing it = success in my books.

They get to burn nitro and drink a few hotdogs etc. Give it to Garlits for a bit - Rob Stirling built the car which was obviously updated by the flintstones. - much like a few of us, it's different

gone fishin'

Last edited:
Thanks Ray I saw it run at Pomona and I thought at first look what is he thinking, sure is different.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back