Remember Diamond Dave? (1 Viewer)

mltdwn12

Nitro Member
I was going through some old scrapbooks and scanning some 35 mm pictures. I ran across this article from probably 1986 (?) or so when Diamond Dave was trying a short wheelbase TF car when everyone else was stretching them :)
Scand.jpg

I was going through some old scrapbooks and scanning some 35 mm pictures. I ran across this article from probably 1986 (?) or so when Diamond Dave was trying a short wheelbase TF car when everyone else was stretching them :) View attachment 5930
Saw Dave at the 1986 AHRA World Finals, Spokane,WA. Looking at his hat pin rite now, on one of the 6 boards I have.
Had the t-shirt but that baby has bin worn and done years ago.

I saw him beat Darryl Gwynn with the short car at (then) Firebird. I'd heard that he had built the short car w/ square steel tubing, but the photo shows round tube.

I remember seeing Diamond Dave run at Indy in the '80s. We all thought he was crazy, but despite it not being the quickest TF ride it did run respectably. Cool to see it is being restored!

Short rear engine cars have been around since the 1950's. The "Sidewinder" was an example. About 90" wheelbase, blown Chrysler on nitro, engine turned sideways & chain driven.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back