Collections (1 Viewer)

yoda

Nitro Member
It was mentioned in another post that one of the members happened to be going through old editions of ND and came across an example from the past of the subject matter being discussed at the time. It was nice to know that others out there keep holding on to some of the past like I do, and I'm curious- who else has got a collection of old weeklys, magazines, etc. that take up space in the house for no good reason other than its nice to have them.

I currently have about ten years of ND back to '95, and before I moved west (Tucson is a great environment to store old periodicals) I had been saving Drag News from the early '70s to when the weekly paper stopped printing. Sadly, my younger brother, not knowing the personal value and needing the space in his basement, disposed of them during a recycling pickup (I can only hope the recycling plant had a drag racing fan on staff that day...).
I do have a decent collection of the monthlys at the time- Car Craft, PHR, SS&DI, etc.- from '70 on to about mid '90s, and I finally for a great shelving to display some of the older magazines. Combine that with a great collection of unbuilt model cars (mostly drags) and a VHS collection of Diamond P broadcasts, and you can tell it's the house of a drag racing fanatic...

So, who else is a few boxes short of being an episode of Hoarders on the history of drag racing? ;)

Last edited:
I have boxes (hopefully in good condition) of every NHRA drag race on VHS since 1986 that I could get, now DVDs of the races (even with quailfying shows a LOT less room needed :D)
I have all of my SS/DI 's given to me by my racer neighbors when I was too young
Every car mag about restoration, streetrodding, AACA and CCCA club news, and others I have ever bought since 1979 or so and lots of 50's-60's car mags I bought in little plastic bags for way too much $$$
Almost every Rodder's Journal and Collectable Automobile issue
Shelves I built to cover a wall that hold my hardcover car, train, tractor, airship, and old house history books
Aquarium books and magazines, priceguides for antique toys and model train books
Just recently acquired from a customer every Goodings, Bonhams, RM and Sotheby's antique car auction catalogs from 1991 to present (great info on famous cars) - that was seven armloads of books alone!

I better stop there......

Have a bunch of old dragsters from the late seventies up thru the early 2000's. Have literally thousands of old Hot Rod, Car Craft, Pop Rod, SS&DI, and various other car mags from the fifties up to current years. Even have a few of the old pocket sized books from the early fifties. Being in the old parts business, I am bad about not getting rid of anything. Got to digging thru some stuff a few nights ago and found a program from the 63 Nationals at Indy. In 35 years of doing swap meets I acquired tons of magazines---they are usually cheaper when you buy the whole box LOL!!!! One of the neatest buys I ever made was at the Pate Swap Meet in Texas a few years ago. Some guys from North Carolina had bought a bunch of old race programs from NASCAR. Several boxes of them dating back into the late forties. I have several programs from Bowman Grey Stadium that listed one Ralph Earnhardt on the entry list. Lots of programs from the late sixties and early seventies. Pretty cool old ads in them too. I started a few years ago taking old magazines with torn covers and such and taking the muscle car and speed parts ads out of them and putting them in plastic covers in a binder. Makes a neat book to look through. Sad thing about it is when I am gone, nobody in my family wants any of it. Most of it will probably end up in the dumpster. Wife came in the shop one day and looked around and said "Don't you dare die and leave me stuck with all this sh*t". Guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

Lots of Hot Rod, Car Craft, National Dragsters and some odds and ends from the 70's and 80's in about 10 big totes in the basement. I also saved all my Hot Wheels including all the Snake and Mongoose stuff. I have a plastic Pepsi Challenger but I noticed when I got it out recently the stickers were curling up:( . My son destroyed all of his toys but I seemed to take pretty good care of my stuff even though I played with it a lot. I also have a collection of trophies my late uncle won at National Trails in the 80's. For what ever reason no one in the family wanted them even though we were there when he won most of them. I'm a hoarder when it comes to memories like all the receipts, newspapers and luggage tags from our honeymoon and vacations. I rode bmx in the 80's. Don't even get me started on all the parts, magazine ect. from that. Nothing wrong with saving memories if you keep it organized and put away!

Last edited:
Most of it will probably end up in the dumpster. Wife came in the shop one day and looked around and said "Don't you dare die and leave me stuck with all this sh*t". Guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
I would call around and find a cause like DRAW or someone to leave it to in your will that could auction it off and raise money if no one wants it. Sounds like there is a lot of stuff people would definitely want

At some point, I would think that we could donate this stuff in our last will and testimate to the museum out in Pomona, and they would determine what is kept, and in what quantity....

National Dragster back to about '89. Pop Science, Pop Mechanics, etc. back to the '40s. Hundreds of t-shirts (WTH am I gonna do with those...?). Hundreds of Hero Cards. Hundreds of miscellaneous pieces of motor-sports memorabilia. Gonna display it all. Someday.

20151006_221030_zpsidkdecpf.jpg

So I got a lot of junk. Mostly pre 1996 because of a results research project i'm trying to compile. Unfortunately still missing a lot of years. I even have a bunch of old model cars from the 70s from my dad. Some built, some not.
20151006_221310_zps9ygski6a.jpg

Hundreds of t-shirts (WTH am I gonna do with those...?) Gonna display it all. Someday.

I forgot about those.....mine are all in vacuum bags in a plank-like state. No chance of me fitting into them anymore:(. The only shirt that still fits is a x-lg my neighbors brought me from the 1975 Gatornationals.

I saw a guy's garage once where he built glass windows that formed display cases into all the walls at about chest level to hold his collections. One had lunchboxes, another had radios. Others had toys and sports memorabilia. In the center of the garage was a stack of sleds and pedal cars and around the perimeter were every car he bought in his life all perfect originals or restored. Hanging from the rafters were all model airplanes. Garage was about 50'X90'.

I just was discussing the "vintage" t-shirt thing with some of my roadie buddies... Seems the hot fashion look for the over-privileged is to buy old concert shirts from L.A. boutiques for $500--700. All its gonna take is for a Kardashian to be seen in an old Jungle Jim shirt and we'll be off to the Caymans, gentlemen ;)

I had a huge collection of Diamond P tapes when I was kid. Ditched them all when I moved out. Almost everything (and more!) is uploaded onto YouTube. It is pretty awesome. The only tape that isn't is "The Kings of the sport". I loved watching that one as a kid. I have a pretty good collection of funny car diecasts that I started collecting about two years ago.

misc. stuff, the oldest being being a hard back book copywright 1968 talking about sportsmen racing of the day.
used to build all the revel models in 70's....all gone....still have tv tommy ivo t-shirt from the late 70's buried somewhere.
misc. rulebooks / patches / decals / programs / posters / t-shirts / ND's from late 80's thru early 2000's.
fun to look at about every other year; sickening when you realize how young you were then and so much older now :eek:

Heh, funny... ( actually not funny - this thread hit a nerve,,) ... My nightmares are all about dealing with the future... so much stuff....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back