Pro Stock Ideas (1 Viewer)

According to Super Chevy
"The legend of Gassers, roadsters, and Modified Productions came to a controversial halt in the fall of 1981. Claiming a downturn in contestants, the NHRA decided to drop Modified Eliminator, ignoring considerable protests from the hundreds of Mod racers and the legions of fans that followed them. Those who opposed the move were quick to note that the '81 Nationals Modified drew nearly 150 cars, all competing for a 48-car eliminator field. During the Nationals, more than 100 mod racers showed their displeasure by slowly driving down the Indianapolis Raceway Park return road, protest signs taped to their race cars and tow vehicles. But, the demonstration was for naught, as NHRA officials stuck with their decision and dropped Modified for good after the Pomona World Finals.

The wheelstanding Modifieds were replaced with the "Super" e.t. bracket categories of Super/Comp, Super/Gas, and Super/Street. This throttle-stop-dominated segment was a far cry from the Gasser, Modified Production, Stock, and Modified Sports classes. The change sidelined many of the best racers from the '60s and '70s"
Thanks Bob, i had forgot about the protest at Indy.

I like Allen Johnson's suggestion, leave the Pro Stock cars like they are, just remove the wheelie bars.

I sure hope Comp doesn't end up going the way of Modified, participation has been declining for years. That's always been such a unique class, but like everything else, has gotten crazy expensive.

I sure hope Comp doesn't end up going the way of Modified, participation has been declining for years. That's always been such a unique class, but like everything else, has gotten crazy expensive.
I'm with you but i think with the right people in the White House get the country going in a positive direction the participation will improve. Positive actions can do amazing th i ngs.

I lost some interest when they went to the Lenco. I'd much rather they had to "row" the gears.

Hey Nunz,

No, no. I simply lost "some" interest. That one move took too much of the driver out of the equation but I still enjoy them, just not as much. They're highly technical and far from boring.

Could you imagine having a clutch pedal that you had to push in for each gear change in a mid six-second car?! Are there any classes where that happens anymore? And I agree, I like that they have to work the lever in PS.

IMO, they should be allowed to have all the equipment they have now as long as it is a stock wheelbase and stock body panels, except for the rear wheel wells/hood.

A lot of talk about modified production class, may I take a guess that people just miss that class. Is changing pro stock going to really make it better and bring back those memories considering that Modified and pro stock really were not the same class even back then

Initially MP and PS were very close to the same. My friend Mike Valerio (founder of Competition Engineering) was running his Camaro in A/MP, and when Pro Stock was introduced he jumped right in with the same car with minor changes. His was (as all early Pro Stockers) a big block / tunnel ram combo backed by a 4-speed. Of course the class evolved quickly over the next few years.

So when did Pro Stock cease to be "stock"?

When Jenkins debuted the tube chassis Vega?

When they started drooping the front ends?

When NHRA allowed the "corporate V8" (Chevy) from GM instead of real Pontiac or Olds engines in those cars?

When they began allowing cars that never had V8s?

When they started allowing major modifications to body panels for tire clearance and/or aero?

In my opinion this is when it really no longer could be considered stock; having lost any semblance of stock appearance. They’re more like no power-adder Pro Mods now. But the horse is out of the barn.... good luck getting it back.

Still, I can change with the times….somewhat. The Challenger / Mustang / Camaro scenario is appealing, and while not a big fan of the imports I don’t have a problem with them. Inclusion is good if it brings more participants. And maybe some younger fans, and brand diversity. Right now if Mopars go out early it’s a Camarofest – boring!

Could you imagine having a clutch pedal that you had to push in for each gear change in a mid six-second car?! Are there any classes where that happens anymore? And I agree, I like that they have to work the lever in PS.

I doubt there are more than a few in Stock Eliminator that use the clutch for each gear change.

So when did Pro Stock cease to be "stock"?

I know there are people here who have decades of experience on me so the answer to this is different for everyone. For me, they ceased to be "stock" when the Chevy Beretta was allowed to change from FWD to RWD. I get it, though, that was at a time when the US was going through the fading of the muscle car and moving more towards "sporty" front wheel drive cars.

But heck, even before this year started I brought up what I saw as an issue of how the body dimensions are nothing like production. I don't know any car out there that has a droopy ass like the pro-stockers.

The Oldsmobile Firenza wasn't RWD either and it was out years before the Beretta.

That is possible mechanically, FWD to RWD, at least it still looked like a Beretta/Firenza. You did not need a window decal to know.
Going to Salem Ohio this weekend for nostalgia FC, you can tell what make model they are.

That is possible mechanically, FWD to RWD, at least it still looked like a Beretta/Firenza. You did not need a window decal to know.
Going to Salem Ohio this weekend for nostalgia FC, you can tell what make model they are.

For now you can, but they're starting to push the rulebook envelope as well. It's a natural progression. Always has been.

It's the same reasons "Pure Street" classes always rapidly devolve into retired pro stockers with working wipers and lights. Competitiveness.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back