Shoe's son-in-law to run full season (1 Viewer)

i'd be real surprised to NOT see a large apparel trailer.
there must be a proven formula for running these cars
on a less than a 'castrol' budget.

of all the rock n' rollers that have professed their
love of drag racing over the years, stephen p. still
puts his money where his mouth is.
congratulations james, stephen and don s.

James has worked his butt off for this. When we spoke last week he was working on funding, so I am glad this worked out for him... He is a great guy, with an even better wife who puts up with him! :)

Justin

Please don't think I'm a goody-goody or a prude, but I didn't care for the quote from Stephen Pearcy in the press release, "He's the perfect 'Ratt B@stard.' " I'm not offended by this quote, hell I'm one of George Carlin's biggest fans, but I just think it's a little tacky.

Dave

This is great news as Top Fuel records has been going on for awhile...Stephen is tied to the founder of A & M records (Herb Albert) and they have mega-dollars to spend..

And a big congrats to Dave Smith as he has been doing this stuff for awhile now and always runs a clean operation and knows how to win...

Last edited:
Enjoy while it last when the digital download era is in full swing the record industry will be a thing of the past and it isn't to far off.
A lot of the electronic stores are already reducing stock Best Buy who use to have a huge selection is going to ONE isle and only the latest releases will be carried. ;)

Last edited:
I hear you. I hope the sponsor is not totally relying on CD sales since they are headed in the toilet. Just look at the bloodbath at all the majors. Kids these days don't give a rat's you know what about bands and band loyalty. Look what the top selling album last year was "High School Musical?" But on a brighter note. Kids more likely spend money on video games. But on a more positive note, my kids play Guitar Hero. Imagine my surprise hearing my 12 year old singing "Cherry Pie." There might even be a Ratt song on the game. And to end this post on a positive note, congrats on the full-time deal. Fletch and co. should have you flying!

They make more money (record labels) on the rights to a certain song and every time it is played on the radio, all over the world...The labels have more money than most movie studios...Imagine making .99 cents every time a song is played that you own...Current Interscope fees...

Example: Blink 182 "All the Small Things" was played 25 million times in 2001 and they receive every penny as the band owned the rights and everyone else was already payed and/or exempt from the rights....BIG MONEY....

RATT is in the same boat in regards to rights since 1986...They are not skipping any meals...

I hear you. I hope the sponsor is not totally relying on CD sales since they are headed in the toilet. Just look at the bloodbath at all the majors. Kids these days don't give a rat's you know what about bands and band loyalty. Look what the top selling album last year was "High School Musical?" But on a brighter note. Kids more likely spend money on video games. But on a more positive note, my kids play Guitar Hero. Imagine my surprise hearing my 12 year old singing "Cherry Pie." There might even be a Ratt song on the game. And to end this post on a positive note, congrats on the full-time deal. Fletch and co. should have you flying!

The plus side of the digital download era is that the bands will be in total control of their product and make all the money cutting out the labels.
They will be able to promote distribute and set price which is a good thing.
The bands only make royalties off of commercial's and remakes not playing over the radio which is looked at as promotional.
Most bands make their serious money from touring the labels make the major cut from the actual albums and that is what will change.
Average price of a downloaded new release album is $9.99 most bands only make .25 cents per album from the labels but the companies do all the promoting, packaging and distribution which is out of pocket but the returns dwarf that expense.
I agree these kids don't have a clue but they are the ones spending mom and dads money and they are the 800 pound gorilla that dictates the trends.

Terry, that is really interesting. I knew artists made money everytime their song was played, but I thought it was more like 7 cents, which would still be a huge annuity for a once popular band. Every now and then, I run into Lou Gramm, from Foreigner, who lives fairly close to me. He was huge in the 70's, and I always wondered how the royalties worked. If they are really .99 each time, maybe I need to hit Lou up for a fuel deal (he's a big gearhead) :D

Being from Los Angeles and was in the movie industry I made all types of friends and one of them is Herb Alberts personal IT person and he feeds me all type of useless info...
Every contract is different...Some artists will demand more cash up front and less on the back end..Some want little down payment and more cash for the rights...Some want no deposit and all the radio air rights and so on...But if you own the 'writing' part of any successful song than you will no longer need that day job....ever...
I mentioned BLINK 182 as they made the top 3 for money made for the band in 2001: in the ballpark of 50 Million for the band after touring...
On CD sales the artists @ A&M were given cuts up to 40% of gross sales...
Touring is not a huge money maker for alot of them but the rewards of making money doing something you love is priceless and comes w/ many perks
and help employs the trades...
I learned long ago that individuals in entertainment and real estate are the wealthiest ($$$) people on earth that require no theory education....

They make more money (record labels) on the rights to a certain song and every time it is played on the radio, all over the world...The labels have more money than most movie studios...Imagine making .99 cents every time a song is played that you own...Current Interscope fees...

Example: Blink 182 "All the Small Things" was played 25 million times in 2001 and they receive every penny as the band owned the rights and everyone else was already payed and/or exempt from the rights....BIG MONEY....

RATT is in the same boat in regards to rights since 1986...They are not skipping any meals...

Actually, Terry, the model is a bit different...It is the publisher (songwriter...NOT the artist or the label, unless the artist wrote the song...) that gets the "performance" royalty from radio airplay, as well as the "mechanical" royalty each time someone downloads/buys a CD with the song on it. The current maximum rate that is paid on the "mechanical" royalty is about 9.1 cents per download/sold copy, and the performance royalty for radio airplay is even less..

That said, of the .99 cents generated by an iTunes download, iTunes keeps exactly 29 cents, the artist sees about 15 cents (but only when the label has recouped its advance to the artist, recording & promotional expenses first, etc...), the publisher/songwriter about 9 cents, and the balance (about 47 cents) typically goes to the label....So yes, that industry is in BIG trouble, although, I am hearing of a couple of new models that may very well stabilize the recording industry over the next 1-2 years...

Currently, many of the labels are doing what is called a 360 deal. What this means is that because the expense of promoting an artist can be pretty large and tough to recoup against download royalties that have shrunk quite a bit, now the labels are signing deals where they own part of the artists touring, merchandise, and licensing revenue, as well...The labels are now more of an entertainment company, than just a record company like in years past.

A perfect example of this new deal would be Live Nation (which incidentally owns the IHRA) and the deal that they did 2 months ago with Madonna...Google "Madonna + Live Nation" and you will see what I mean.

Good to see you up here, as always... :)

Last edited:
Jay:There is no 'maximum' rate in anyones contract as each contract is written differently...Being an owner of many, and L.A.'s largest, sound stages in So Calif I have seen many contracts but have never seen two that are exact.
I am only speaking for Alberts A&M contracts and the artisits from that label are making more than .09 cents a download...WAY MORE...and current Interscope artists that give up base pay are commanding up to $1.01 for each 4 minutes of air time...
And the 360 deal as you call it is only for musicians that have not proved a solid following and/or not reliable...like failed drug test'...Failing random testing under contract is a labels dream once the music has been made as it squashes some parts of the contract..Most bands stay far away from those types of deals if they are represented..

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back