Rapid Lands a Full Time Ride (2 Viewers)

RAPID

Nitro Member
We kind of dereailed a thread the other day so I thought I would give this it's own thread. Thanks for taking time to check in. :)

Rapid

2008 NANOOK RACING NEWS

Dave and Linda Hough along with the rest of the Nanook Racing Team would like to welcome our new driver “Rapid” Randy Baker to the team. We are a very close knit racing family so it was imperative that we found a driver who would fit in with our program, which is beginning its 43rd year. We all travel together and having met and raced against Randy and Laura we knew they would be a great addition to our team.

Driving a Nostalgia Fuel Altered isn’t for just anyone. Randy has proven in his racing history that he can get the car to the other end under power. He is known not to give up on the run if, or rather when, the car gets loose at any point in the track, we all know that is just the nature of the beast. That was one of the important things we were looking for in a driver. We also felt it was important to have someone who was familiar with Nostalgia racing and who understood our goals as a team. When I learned Rapid had became available on a full time basis; we held a family meeting and unanimously agreed Rapid was the one we were looking for. Also, Rick’s brother-in-law, Vince Generalao, will share driving duties where there is a schedule conflict with Rapid.

We are currently filling out our 2008 schedule of events. Please come out and help us welcome Randy and Laura Baker to our racing team. There will be team info and a racing schedule available on the web at www.rapidrandy.com as the racing season progresses.

See you at the races,

Dave, Linda, Rick and Gloria Hough

Wow, Randy, that is HUGE! As a lifelong altered freak, the Nanook car is one of my favorites. My dad and I got chills seeing Rick drive the car at the 50th Indy in '04. Congratulations and have a great season!

Wow, Randy, that is HUGE! As a lifelong altered freak, the Nanook car is one of my favorites. My dad and I got chills seeing Rick drive the car at the 50th Indy in '04. Congratulations and have a great season!
Congratulations Baker. Long way from bracket Camaro's huh? Seems like it was just a few years ago we were lining up against each other.
Good deal for you and the Hough's. Have a fun summer.

I bet that was cool seeing them at the 50th Indy. That was a neat slice of history for sure. :)

Greg, Thanks to you and Bucky, they still won't let drag racers stop at the pizza joint! ;) It does not seem that long ago.

Thanks for the kind words you two. I appreciate it. :cool:

Rapid {Gotta change my signature line now} :D

I bet that was cool seeing them at the 50th Indy. That was a neat slice of history for sure. :)

Greg, Thanks to you and Bucky, they still won't let drag racers stop at the pizza joint! ;) It does not seem that long ago.

Thanks for the kind words you two. I appreciate it. :cool:

Rapid {Gotta change my signature line now} :D
You ever hear anything from Buck?

Trick deal, trick deal. yup, yup.

Congrats Rapid. That is great news. And, you aren't derailing anyone's thread. ;) lol Can't wait to see you at the March Meet too.
Are you going to be changing your signature, color, picture, etc.?

Greg,,,haven't seen Bucky for years. Back when he was making that new sprag for the Lenco trans.

Eric, I will change all that, but you will still recognize me by that big grin on my face! :D

Dave, you are right. I think it is really neat of the team to book some of the bigger races local to me so I can still see everyone at Cordova and Eddyville sometimes. :cool:

Dave and Linda the rest of the team are 1st class people.

Rapid

Randy, as an altered shoe you can appreciate this. My dad flies back east to visit, and he and I drive to Indy for the big 50th race. We get there Friday night just in time for the night session, which was kicked off by the fuel altered exhibitions. We run up to the fence toward the end of the track, almost near the big TV screen (what are they calling that these days?). The stands are absolutely mobbed, and we get there just in time to see Nanook and another car doing their burnouts. I can't remember who was in the other lane, but between the burnouts, and then the run, with the header flames and all, my dad looks at me and says, "I'm all set. If I don't see anything else this weekend, that just made the trip all worthwhile". You gotta understand, my dad raced an A/A back in the early 70s, and knew Willy Borsch, and some other blown altered guys, so watching these cars run at Indy was heaven for us. Will you be doing any big show exhibitions this year?

Ride Stealer....

This come as a total shock and completely out of the blue:rolleyes:
Kinda knew that they wouldn't let you play in caves too long. Seem to remember a picture about three months ago of someone sitting in that car in some garage.

Good luck to the whole mid west bunch out at the Patch, hoping ya'll show that west coast bunch how it's done.

Dave and Linda made a great choice. Also hoping Danny will let you play in the Mav when your not out playin' Star.... (car's the star, you're just the loose nut behind the wheel)...

d'kid
(member: The R.R.R.S.B. fan club)

I have a feeling we will see that grin even behind the helmet for a while. ;)
When I was at Cordova last year I got to talk to Dave for probably 20-30 minutes about tracks in the NW, the car, all kids of stuff. It was like we were friends for years. Great people.

Randy, as an altered shoe you can appreciate this. My dad flies back east to visit, and he and I drive to Indy for the big 50th race. We get there Friday night just in time for the night session, which was kicked off by the fuel altered exhibitions. We run up to the fence toward the end of the track, almost near the big TV screen (what are they calling that these days?). The stands are absolutely mobbed, and we get there just in time to see Nanook and another car doing their burnouts. I can't remember who was in the other lane, but between the burnouts, and then the run, with the header flames and all, my dad looks at me and says, "I'm all set. If I don't see anything else this weekend, that just made the trip all worthwhile". You gotta understand, my dad raced an A/A back in the early 70s, and knew Willy Borsch, and some other blown altered guys, so watching these cars run at Indy was heaven for us. Will you be doing any big show exhibitions this year?

Great story! :cool:

Indy in 1979 was my first national event. As most of you know I was a door slammer die hard all my life until the Nitro Madness car. Anyway, my cousin and I park the car and start walking towards the track. I can still remember the sound of the Modified Elmiminator cars screaming down the track.

Hey, it is my thread so I don't have to apologize to anyone for the derail I just did! :D

Eric, looking forward to seeing you again this year we will be at Cordova.

Karl,,,LMAO!! Thanks buddy.

Thanks Gary and you too Jean. Yes I will see you next week. That will be a blast at the MM.

Rapid

Last edited:
I was there in '79 for the 25th (geez, the 25th, the 50th, I'm getting old...) also. I remember hanging out after qualifying one night, and Garlits had one of his 1st cars there, the one with the weedburner pipes, and a bunch of racers, including Snake, were mobbed around him as they tried to push the car to fire it. It was unreal. He made a run with that car, I believe on Monday, as part of the ceremonies. My dad is actually going to the MM next weekend(I'm very jealous) ,I'll have to have him come by and see you guys.

Congratulations Randy, couldn't happen to a nicer guy! Did you let Tommy H. know the good news over in Afghanistan? Hopefully I will catch up with you some day in the near future, any plans to come east this year? Let me know... Doug

Randy,congrats. I really enjoyed taking pics. of you In the Nitro Madness altered In Cordova, I hope I can get a few of ya In the Nanook.Please don't be a stranger to this neck of the woods.See ya at the track!

can't say congrats enough Rapid.....this is way cool!!!

can't wait to see you behind the wheel of the Nanook!!

Thanks Doug, I sure did. I always try to send Tommy and email. That has to be tough being that far away for the racing and normal American life. I sure am proud of him though. :cool:

Scott, I bet you get some more great photos. How did the mason jar work out? We can fill it with a big % this time around. :D

Mike, Thanks hope to see you somewhere this year. But I am watching you,,,no ride stealing from you boy!! ;)

Thanks again everyone,

Rapid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back