Sean O'Bannon to switch to Alky FC! (2 Viewers)

A fuel should just be dropped!

Post of the year as far as I am concerned! I agree lets just kill them all...I mean ONE car ran a 5.12 and that in itself warrents killing the entire AFD side of the class!

97% and ZERO WHINE!:mad:

KB:D

NHRA made this parity bed and there's a rabid wolverine in it. Weather conditions, elevation and a myriad of other circumstances factor into the A/FDs performance so it's not as easy as adding weight, changing nitro percentages, etc. This is a very different animal and to make the blown cars compete across the board is unfair, no matter how you stir the pot.

One thing I've heard from more than one person running nostalgia nitro is that if you get too close to 50/50 (under 75% is what I've heard from many) it "confuses" (Virgil's word) the engine, that whatever you do for the nitro side of it hurts the alcohol side, and vice-versa. Yeah, I don't think there could be any one formula that's going to make the cars even in every situation. You worded it well with "parity bed."

Maybe if drag racing were as popular as NASCAR, they'd have enough money to field them as seperate classes. There I go thinking again. Sorry. :D

One thing I've heard from more than one person running nostalgia nitro is that if you get too close to 50/50 (under 75% is what I've heard from many) it "confuses" (Virgil's word) the engine, that whatever you do for the nitro side of it hurts the alcohol side, and vice-versa. Yeah, I don't think there could be any one formula that's going to make the cars even in every situation. You worded it well with "parity bed."

Maybe if drag racing were as popular as NASCAR, they'd have enough money to field them as seperate classes. There I go thinking again. Sorry. :D
Ron, I'm confused as to your 50/50 and 75% meaning... I can tell you what percentage we run in NTF...
As far as O'Bannon switching, I think those of us with a real TAD were waiting to see if THEY were going to be able to compete... I guess Morgan put that to bed... Anyone wanna buy a TAD?? CHEAP!!
The class is called-
TOP ALCOHOL DRAGSTER !!!!!

Thanks Michael, the steam coming out of my ears, I thought was clearly visible... Don't even start KB;)
aka. the Joker

Last edited:
I just love the support....hey fellas we run ALCOHOL TOO! so we belong in TOP ALCOHOL right? Only thing an AFD car does not have is the WHINE!:eek:

I'm with Tony....let's take those "Apples and Oranges" and chop em up....we will have a fruit salad...:D

KB:cool:

Ron, I'm confused as to your 50/50 and 75% meaning... I can tell you what percentage we run in NTF...
As far as O'Bannon switching, I think those of us with a real TAD were waiting to see if THEY were going to be able to compete... I guess Morgan put that to bed... Anyone wanna buy a TAD?? CHEAP!!
The class is called-
TOP ALCOHOL DRAGSTER !!!!!

Thanks Michael, the steam coming out of my ears, I thought was clearly visible... Don't even start KB;)
aka. the Joker

I'm saying that the more they screw with AFD percentages, the harder they're going to be to tune. The 50% and 75% numbers are extremes, but tells you what you're moving toward with each change. I believe someone here once said that very small percentage changes made a big difference in raising the difficulty to tune.

Perhaps AFD should be it's own 8 car field and be treated as some kind of semi-pro, or entry level pro class?

Ever tried to explain to a drag racing "newcomer" what the TAD class is?

"It's top alcohol dragster"

"Why does that really fast one NOT have a big belt on the front of the engine?"

"Because it runs NITRO and isn't allowed to have a blower"

"Then why is the class called Top ALCOHOL Dragster?"

It's like trying to explain super class racing to a newcomer, you need 4 hours to explain throttle stops, timers, reaction times, etc... Way too complicated and I raced Super classes for many years.

Put all the AFDs into their own class and call it "Junior Fuel". While I'm not old enough (lol) to have watched JF when it ran, it sure has a nice ring to it.

Once Lucas got involved in the class the writing was on the wall. With the Class' sponsors son running an A-Fuel car, NHRA Basically looked the other way. It's Water under the Bridge at this point, all the benefit of the FC class!:rolleyes:

Just when I thought the blower cars were going to make a comeback.
Questions:
Any difference in the cockpit of a BAD and a TA/FC?

So will this be TA/FC's first multi-car team?

Are they still using AA/FC bodies modified to the alky car or are there now alky FC specific bodies?

There's another prominent blown alcohol racer switching to floppers - Lee Callaway has parked the dragster and is making crossover license runs at the Division 4 opener this weekend.

I'm curious if anyone wants to take bets as to when Marty Thacker and Ken Perry switch or quit all together?:rolleyes:

Pardon me for asking this question, but if TAFCs use the same engines as a blown alky dragtser, then why bother switching? :confused:

Pardon me for asking this question, but if TAFCs use the same engines as a blown alky dragtser, then why bother switching? :confused:

So that your running agains't your own combo. The A-Fuel cars have a Huge performance advantage, trying to compete agains't them with a Blown alky car makes no sense anymore.

Last edited:
O'Bannon is as good as anyone out there with a blown alcohol combination and he was two tenths slower than Morgan Lucas at Pomona.

I hate to say it but TAD is DEAD! :( Unless you're an A fuel racer/fan, then you'll be fine. I wish there was just a full field of blown cars on race day... But I think after Pomona and O'Bannon on the switch to TAFC.... and maybe a few others the writing on the wall just became much clearer. :(

I had always enjoyed the Clash between the 2 combo's when they were competitive. But that class has gotten Boring anymore.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back