Sean O'Bannon to switch to Alky FC! (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
After just on Natl. event, the Tequila Patron Team will switch classes. That's makes lets see: Jay Payne, Jeff Wilson, Mick Snider, Don Hutson, Sean O'Bannon, ??????

The Alky FC class owes a Huge Thank you to the A-Fuelers, the Alky FC class would be Hurting if it weren't for them, LOL!

If they don't do SOMETHING with AFD vs. TAD parity, I would bet that a lot of others will follow O'Bannons "lead" this year.

Taking away nitro percentage isn't the answer, because the AFDs turn into dogs, but maybe they can make a weight change or allow better blowers.

NHRA made this parity bed and there's a rabid wolverine in it. Weather conditions, elevation and a myriad of other circumstances factor into the A/FDs performance so it's not as easy as adding weight, changing nitro percentages, etc. This is a very different animal and to make the blown cars compete across the board is unfair, no matter how you stir the pot.

If they don't do SOMETHING with AFD vs. TAD parity, I would bet that a lot of others will follow O'Bannons "lead" this year.

Taking away nitro percentage isn't the answer, because the AFDs turn into dogs, but maybe they can make a weight change or allow better blowers.

thats not the answer! parts are about maxed out.a better blower will start out at $10,000.00. and then with more boost comes shorter life on parts that hardly last a weekend now. and when it comes to weight, these cars are built as light as possible already, the only way to get lighter is alot of titanium and not too many people can afford it. making changes in an alcohol car takes alot more money than updating with the latest delay box, or throttle stop.

How many are left to change? Jim Whitely and Steve Federlin Crashed, outside of Div. 6-7 Blown cars have gone the way of the Dinosaur. Go Alky FC's!

We saw the writing on the wall, and we love the alcohol class and the people
involved but NHRA doesn't give a rats ass about TAD other than Lucas, thank
goodness for him or it would be really bad, heres an idea
what about A-Fuel alcohol funny car and see how it is taken it would
be the same deal. It's all about money bottom line!

Bama Boys

I just Hope NHRA doesn't dick with the Alky FC's, let the A-Fuelers have the Dragsters. The Alky FC car counts are higher than they've been in years.

You know, this is exactly what I said was going to happen on the old 'Mater and I practically got ran out of town! LMAO!

All joking aside, though, it's a shame. I feel bad for the blower folks that prefer dragsters over funny cars, because it looks like it won't be long and they won't have any choice but to switch or hang it up. It's almost as if this is the way NHRA wanted it all along. If enough blower guys/gals migrate to funny car, the problem will take care of itself and they won't have to deal with the parity issues anymore.

On the other hand, I'm a huge funny car fan, so from a self-serving standpoint, I'm excited about the possibilities of where that class can go.

Sean D

the only thing i can think of (and it prolly wouldnt work, cuz i have found a few holes in it myself) is too have two separate latters, an 8 car Blown field and an 8 car A fuel side (4 for divisional races) and then have the 2 winners meet to determine a winner.....as i said i know there are a lot of flaws, but it's the best scenerio i could come up with and it will be a sad day when anything like this has to be done

Frankly, some of the best racing in the country is done by the TAFC's. The races are, usually, decided by the best performance and these cars thunder! As we know, there are often rounds in other Eliminators decided by tire smoke or blower belts a flyin'. I like the side by side racing the TAFC's provide. I am not happy with the decision to take them out of the Mile High Nationals.
That said, seeing people move from TAD to TAFC because the blower cars are often outmatched against the A/FD's doesn't exactly tickle me either.
I have suggested before, and do so here again, a Pro/Comp format. Four eight car fields at LODRS events in TAFC, TAD, A/FD, and ProMod. The four winners would run off for the Pro/Comp title using a handicap determined in a manner similar to that used in Competition Eliminator.
Raise the bridge; don't lower the river.
Cheers,
Ed

So what's being said here is that O'Bannon is going to Alky Funny and and PARKING their dragster? Does that mean that Alexis DeJoria is walking, or will it be a two car team? O'Bannon's car had Patron Tequila on the side in the same size lettering as DeJoria's Funny car.

I was just told that Lee Calloway has also made the switch to Alky FC, made that 6 Former TAD racers!

I think there should be an all A/fuel class rename it "nitro dragster" (how long is the top alcohol dragster name going to stick around anyway) and a low buck blown alcohol dragster class for people like me to be run at the division level.

Last edited:
I think there should be an all A/fuel class rename it "nitro dragster" (how long is the top alcohol dragster name going to stick around anyway) and a low buck blown alcohol dragster class for people like me to be run at the division level.

Rich, I think Jr. Fuel might sound better. Nitro Dragster sounds like Top Fuel, as for another Blown dragster class.....I doubt that happening. I think the Class your currently in (Top Comp) is your best bet. I also heard about Jackie Stidham driving Lee's car, but what about Jackie's own car, Did he sell it?

I don't know if they sold the car, but they weren't going to run it unless some sponsorship came up.

I don't know if they sold the car, but they weren't going to run it unless some sponsorship came up.

Brad McWilliams bought Jackies roller the last I heard...
Marty Nothstein drove for McWilliams last year with the AutoTrader.com entry... But Marty Nothstein has moved on to take over for Danny Townsend in the Frank Parker ride...
Marty should be a contender this year, unlike the unfortunate situation of last year...
Rock and Roll Marty...;)

Alright shoot me... A fuel should just be dropped! Or make some rule changes so the blown alky cars can have an equal chance! Sorry if anyone posts on here is involved with an A fuel car, but I love my blown TA dragsters, slowly, well hey lets not even talk slowly here... it will be a 16 car field of A fullers before you know it... which imo sucks!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back