Safety equipment crisis for racing competitors with selected Impact Racing products (1 Viewer)

DixonFan

Staff member
Administrator
Safety equipment crisis for racing competitors with selected Impact Racing products

On April 21, 2010, SFI decertified selected Impact Racing safety products manufactured from 2005 – 2008. This ruling has made selected Impact Racing products illegal for use in competition causing a major crisis in the racing community.

Complete Story:

After many months of research following the submission of a questionable safety suit for testing to SFI, the SFI Foundation has deemed selected Impact Racing safety products to be unsuitable for competition. On April 21, 2010 the SFI issued the following release:

1. Impact Racing has withdrawn its appeal of the decertifications of its products bearing SFI 3.2A, 3.3, 16.1, and 16.5 specifications manufactured in the years 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008. The decertifications of these products are now permanent.

2. The decertifications are based upon a number of the affected products being non-compliant with SFI specifications concerning labeling and construction. In addition to the presence of non-compliant SFI tags and the absence of DOMs on products, 3.2A/5 suits made prior to 2009 have been constructed with non-compliant materials that, in SFI’s judgment, pose a safety risk to users of these suits.

3. Impact Racing is permitted to maintain the certification for products bearing SFI 3.2A, 3.3, 16.1, and 16.5 specifications manufactured in 2009 and 2010. SFI’s investigation of the labeling and construction of these products is ongoing. Impact’s participation in the SFI specification programs ends June 22, 2010.

4. Any Impact product with SFI specifications 3.2A, 3.3, 16.1, and 16.5 without a date of manufacture (DOM) is deemed to be a decertified product unless the manufacturer has provided the product user with proof that it was manufactured in 2009 or 2010. This proof must be presented to track officials upon request. Impact believes that its products made in 2009 and 2010 have the DOMs affixed to products to the extent mandated by SFI specifications.
On the heels of the SFI release NHRA has released the following statement:
SFI announced late last night that 3.2A/5 suits made prior to 2009 by Impact Racing have been decertified effective immediately.

As a result, and per NHRA’s Rulebook, those products are no longer allowed for use at NHRA-sanctioned events.

As racers and a member of the drag racing community of businesses Taylor Motorsports has built a reputation on providing racers with exceptional, hand crafted products that Dennis Taylor, owner and founder, personally designs, produces and uses. During this time of uncertainty and concern regarding safety Dennis is taking additional measures to ensure Taylor Motorsports is able to assist the NHRA and their competitors with replacement products.

Dennis added, “For over 30 years I have been telling the motorsports community I am not only the president of Taylor Motorsports Products but I am the crash test dummy. I personally stand behind every item that we manufacture; my own life depends on it.”

“The entire situation is heart breaking and I want racers to know that my primary interest is their welfare. It is deeply concerning to me so many in the racing community are left holding the bag.” Dennis Taylor, Taylor Motorsports Products.

At Taylor Motorsports they know racers have a choice when it comes to outfitting their team and that is why Dennis is always available to answer questions, discuss customization, design, and address any concerns.

About:

About the SFI Foundation
The SFI Foundation, Inc. (SFI) is a non-profit organization established to issue and administer standards for specialty/performance automotive and racing equipment.

About the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)

The National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) is the world's largest and loudest auto racing organization. Since it was founded by Wally Parks in 1951, NHRA has been dedicated to safety while providing millions of racing fans with The Extreme Motorsport: the fastest and most spectacular form of entertainment on wheels.

With 80,000 members and more than 35,000 licensed competitors, NHRA is a thriving leader in the world of motorsports. Parks initially started NHRA as a means of getting hot rodders off the streets and on to legal drag strips. Since those early days, NHRA has evolved into the largest promoter of professional drag racing in the world. Today, with more than 300 dedicated employees, NHRA offers drag racing opportunities for hot rod enthusiasts of all levels, from kids ages 8-17 in the NHRA Jr. Drag Racing League all the way up to the top of the Professional ranks with the organization's NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series.

About Taylor Motorsports Products

Taylor Motorsports Products was founded in 1979 by Dennis Taylor. Dennis has been involved in the drag racing and motorsports community for over 31 years developing innovative, effective and high quality safety products for drag racing, circle track racing, open wheel, motorcycle and now off road racing applications. All of Taylor Motorsports Products are hand made in Anaheim, CA including the newest addition of driver’s fire suits. Dennis is not only the president he is also a competitor regularly contesting his NHRA top alcohol Funny Car.

About VF Motorsports LLC

VF Motorsports is a media, marketing and entertainment company focused specifically in the motorsports and drag racing communities. In 2010 VF Motorsports was formed and took over operations of VintageFuel.com an online source of information and communication dedicated to vintage drag racing. Today, VF Motorsports is a leader in connecting racers, businesses and enthusiasts with marketing

Re: Safety equipment crisis for racing competitors with selected Impact Racing produc

I noticed on the broadcast last weekend that Schumacher was wearing an Oakley suit. I think he was an Impact guy previously. Anyone else notice it?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back