IMPACT Firesuits, boot, etc., "decertified" by SFI? (1 Viewer)

Personally my experience on this suit has not been one that is turning out as any kind of good service.The only thing that has been right was the original delivery date.I originally ordered an Ultra lightweight -15 for use in a dragster with N20. When the suit showed up it was a standard lightweight -20 and my name spelled wrong.So I called to make sure I was not billed for a -20.I was not, so ok.I accepted the "more protective"-20 that was plenty light for me considering it was a -20(they were supposed to call me back the next day for som info too.That never happened).Get a call from them a few months later that we wanted to see the suit .I asked what was wrong with it.They told me "nothing" just want to see how it is holding up.(I wasn't able to send it in as it is 4 hrs away being borrowed by a Buddy who was waiting on his new suit for his CIFCA car).So I call them first thing yesterday morning and they have no plan for me.I asked if it was true they were recalling my suit. they said yes.I asked what is the plan? the exact answer I heard through the phone was "Thant is a good question!" They still don't know if they sending me a call tag???? he took my Number down (should be on file) said he will be calling me back with a solution.I ain't heard back yet! He asked if I was going to Huston and after I said no the urgency in his voice seemed to lessen. I honestly hope I can get my money back or a brand new 09 ultralight -15.I will not accept the "repair" option. I love my Impact -5 it is too bad that this had to be such a bad experience for me all around.

I stand by it. I don't think you can understand the dangers and the safety equipment put in place unless you've pulled that helmet on.

I pulled the first one on in 1962. I had one of Bill Simpsons' original designer aluminum foil suits during his first year of offering them, after graduating from leather jackets, blue jeans, plastic googles and tennis shoes and running nitro to boot. I bought the last suit 2 years ago from Simpson Safety, not Impact, because of customer service.

If you can't come without some sort of credibility and say "Oh, well as long as nobody is in the burn unit, it's A-OK!"

I'm not insinuating any of that. As I said, I thought your response was childlike and smarky. Other posters on the thread are respected, owners, drivers or directly involved with the sport and I didn't pick up anything other than good information or clarification. With over 2,900 postings in less than three years, I understand that you are a big enthusist so my queston is, "when did you pull on the helmet?

I pulled the first one on in 1962. I had one of Bill Simpsons' original designer aluminum foil suits during his first year of offering them, after graduating from leather jackets, blue jeans, plastic googles and tennis shoes and running nitro to boot. I bought the last suit 2 years ago from Simpson Safety, not Impact, because of customer service.

I'm not insinuating any of that. As I said, I thought your response was childlike and smarky. Other posters on the thread are respected, owners, drivers or directly involved with the sport and I didn't pick up anything other than good information or clarification. With over 2,900 postings in less than three years, I understand that you are a big enthusist so my queston is, "when did you pull on the helmet?

When I was sixteen :) And I'll tell you that now I'm limited to what I can drive because I've got an issue with internal bleeding of my kidneys. I bought a crotch rocket and called it good. I crew on 6 cars, 1 TD 3 SCs and 2 SGs. I'm the purchaser for all safety equipment. Last year I spent over 3K on upgrading safety equipment for my drivers. For 2010, I'll get the pleasure of purchasing two SFI3.2a/15s as the plan is to field another TD.

I do not have a Wally as a driver, but I have one as a crew chief.

I also lost a friend to a racing fire. His suit did work perfectly, unfortunately he was trapped in the car for longer than the suit was designed to protect him for.

I've had 3rd degree burns over several parts of my body, some not due to a racing accident, but I can tell you they are the tenth circle of hell and I don't wish them on anybody. It's an instance of pain that no medication can take away. In fact, there are a lot of drug overdoses in burn patients because of the fact that no medication can take the pain away. It's excruciating, maddening and it breaks down your other body systems if it's bad enough, and it doesn't take much to be bad enough.

And the response was directed at Carlise, not you. So feel free to chill. Nowhere did I question your experience in the sport.

There's several other posters asking him where he gets his experience from. If he turns out to be a racer with some experience in the matter of fires and the burn unit, I'll apologize.

Could I have responded better? Of course. I don't deny that, I was angered by the fact that a burn unit would have been the only way this individual thought the issue presented a problem.

Ok on a good note they are not gonna repair this suit I have.They are sending a call tag and building me a BRAND NEW suit.They will still keep it -20 even though my original suit was ordered ad a -15 and showed up -20 incorrectly.

Ok on a good note they are not gonna repair this suit I have.They are sending a call tag and building me a BRAND NEW suit.They will still keep it -20 even though my original suit was ordered ad a -15 and showed up -20 incorrectly.
So if they take an active approach and fix things..I hope good things come from it..could even help his business showing an aggressive response to this deal. Certainly better than the email response I read.

And Jenn..you be a bad Mama. I for one..appreciate your input on this subject.

It never slays me enough to see people injecting their opinion from a friggin keyboard.

oxox

It never slays me enough to see people injecting their opinion from a friggin keyboard.

oxox

Wow....such a profound statement. Who would have thought "injecting their opinion from a "friggin" keyboard". Some may argue that is the very foundation which nitromater was built on.

Wow....such a profound statement. Who would have thought "injecting their opinion from a "friggin" keyboard". Some may argue that is the very foundation which nitromater was built on.

Everybody on here has the right to be a keyboard crewchief.... It's just that some are actually lucky enough to be able to get off their duffs, go out in the garage and be a regular crewchief too.. :D ;)

Being surprised about opinions being posted on here (regardless of how half-brained they may sometimes be) is like being surprised that someone showed up at a Denny's to eat. As far as the Impact/Bill Simpson fiasco....Mr. Simpson has done a lot for safety, but he has also made a HANSOM living doing so...not like he did it for free all these years. When you SELL something as important (and expensive) as high end fire-suits then better expect to do major damage control and customer service to fix any mistakes that get made. Furthermore my impression of Mr. Simpson is he is fairly abrasive (as many perfectionist/visionaries are), that is fine, but in this day and age of information if a company that has just as good products and great customer service (DJ safety, Phoenix, Stoud) don't be surprised if your business dwindles quickly, especially when mistakes are made on your part......oh and yea, I own a -15 suit.

Great news Eathon.

I should have phrased that better, Mike.

"People injecting their opinion from a friggin keyboard that have absolutely no clue."

I know this isn't the topic but are the Impact helmets with the breathers in danger of being phased out? We just bought a new one but now I am leary. I know that in the past Bill Simpson always was on top of things, but if his product Q/A is hitting the skids then I will be looking for a new alky helmet.

Hmmm, looks like the page was quickly removed? Please post the Readers Digest summary of what was posted before it "disappeared"!

Its still there the guys link just didn't work . Go to the simpson main page and look at the news section its there . Links dont allways work on heavy flash based sites

This is the quote from the SIMPSON web site:

Dixon and Pedregon Speak Out
Thursday, March 26th, 2009
“My Dad wore Simpson and since I began racing in 1993, I’ve worn Simpson too.
In recent years other companies have jumped into the safety business but I see no reason to use anything else but Simpson. I have known Scott DeBoyace and Dave Nelson my entire professional career. I trust them to make sure my firesuits, parachutes, restraints and helmet are the safest out there. Allen and Debbie Bridges and Desire Burkle take care of me and my Team trackside.
As Chad Head, our Director of Operations pointed out, that’s a lot of people working to make sure we are safe. I like that. As racers, we owe it to our family and ourselves to take charge and do all we can to stay safe.
Safety is important.” Larry Dixon, NHRA Top Fuel Champion

“With Simpson products I feel very confident that our drivers have the best protection every time they go down the track.” Chad Head, Director of Racing Operations, Alan Johnson Racing

“A lot of wins, a couple of Championships, and even a few fires. I have put my trust in Simpson safety products for over 15 years of my driving carreer. I know they won’t compromise when it comes to protecting me.” Tony Pedregon, NHRA Funny Car Champion

A Statement from the CEO of Simpson Performance Products
New Braunfels, Texas

In light of the recent Impact Racing product recall and SFI’s de-certification of SFI.15 and SFI.20 firesuits manufactured in 2008 by Impact Racing, we would like to assure the Drag Racing community that Simpson Performance Products is in no way affiliated with Impact Racing, a Bill Simpson company who competes directly with Simpson Performance Products.

In fact, we continue to manufacture SFI.15 and SFI.20 rated firesuits that exceed SFI certification standards. Our brand has remained the dominant and most trusted brand in racing safety thanks to the talented and experienced people we have at Simpson Performance Products today.

Dave Nelson, V.P. of Operations at our Suit factory in CA has more than twenty years of experience in racing safety. Scott DeBoyace, V.P. of Operations at our TX factory has more than thirteen years experience and oversees the production of many signature Simpson products such as drag parachutes and restraints. Both Scott and Dave are well-known and respected throughout the racing community, working closely with SFI, professional racing series such as NHRA and NASCAR and many professional teams and racers. Allen Bridges, nineteen years with Simpson, and Desire Burkle, fifteen years, represent Simpson trackside at NHRA events. We are very confident with the level of expertise and knowledge our people bring to this great sport.

You can trust our people and you can trust the Simpson brand. For fifty years, Simpson Performance Products has been the leading safety manufacturer in the Motorsports industry. We continue to manufacture our SFI.15 and .20 firesuits using DuPont™ Nomex®. Simply put, we do not compromise the safety of racers or teams for any reason. Safety is our mission; you can trust our people. You can trust the Simpson brand.

Respectfully,
Chuck Davies, CEO
Simpson Performance Products

I know this isn't the topic but are the Impact helmets with the breathers in danger of being phased out? We just bought a new one but now I am leary. I know that in the past Bill Simpson always was on top of things, but if his product Q/A is hitting the skids then I will be looking for a new alky helmet.

I would think that the helmets are good to go with no problems. I know for a fact you will not find a better helmet; and if i were you i would go with the Carbon Fiber Nitro because it is the baddest helmet out there.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back