Sad Day (1 Viewer)

Yes, it could have happened to any of the other PM cars. That's precisely why it should not have been done in the first place.

I wouldn't feel any different if it was a street racer involved. It was a careless thing to do and cost 7 people their lives.
Were all just trying to figure why you think he should be banned for being a good guy donating his time for a good cause. No it should not have been done, I think we all know that, But to hang Troy out to dry is wrong I dont care how you look at it.

I know that sometimes the excitment will get the best of us but my own personal opinion of the incident was that it was a more than average burnout as some others have said...Did Troy have the intent to hurt those people and lose control? Of course not! But the simple fact of the matter is that a terrible thing happened due to his burnout..and now we all have to pay the consequences. What those consequences will be for everyone..time will tell.

Again..this is just my own person opinion..but Larry Price (founder for Care for Kids) tried to show he did no wrong in any of this when I believe he was second most responsible...
"We're not racing," Price said. "We're just doing little-old burnouts, revving the motors up, stuff like that."
If thats what he calls little-old burnouts then so be it but there is a reason that theres walls at that track and when your there your not allowed to be 3 ft from the track....if its illegal to do a burnout on the street, then I'd say I dont know what crossed all those people's minds when they thought they could do it around a bunch of kids and a tragic incident such as this wouldnt happen...
My prayers go out to everyone involved, including Troy, and hope for the best for everyone.

As someone who puts on similar shows (we just had a jet car on a public street do a fires show just a couple of weeks ago) this is real eye opening. I feel bad for everyone involved. We were on the road when we heard this and I just knew it couldn't have happend on a dragstrip. These cars (all race cars) are very dangerous and every bit of safety is needed 100 percent of the time!

Were all just trying to figure why you think he should be banned for being a good guy donating his time for a good cause. No it should not have been done, I think we all know that, But to hang Troy out to dry is wrong I dont care how you look at it.

People have been banned from drag racing for things that have not cost anyone their lives. I'm not saying he should be banned for "being a good guy donating his time for a good cause." I'm saying he should be banned for being reckless and killing seven innocent people.

People have been banned from drag racing for things that have not cost anyone their lives. I'm not saying he should be banned for "being a good guy donating his time for a good cause." I'm saying he should be banned for being reckless and killing seven innocent people.

Dude your avatar say's volumes! Johnny Rotten isn't it?

By the way, this accident has NOTHING TO DO WITH DRAG RACING. Drag racing is a sanctioned activity that occurs on race tracks.

Everyone here is quick to say very bad things about street racing. What was this? It was a street race, only with one car. This is why street racing is bad.

I'm sure the intentions of everyone were good, just like a street race. But people got killed, just like a street race. That's why I only race on racetracks.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, to the general public, this has EVERYTHING to do with drag racing. Millions of people who have never heard of drag racing saw articles all over the internet correctly reporting that a vehicle that competes in an NHRA approved series killed six people. It is probably their first and last exposure to our sport - until the lawsuits are filed.
Who is at fault here? Promoter, city government, law enforcement and the driver all showed incredibly bad judgement. This is going to cause long term problems that could go far further than we can envision. JMHO

I have a heavy heart after reading the list of young people that were killed just for hanging out at a charity car show and being in the wrong spot on the curb at the wrong time. The lives of families as well as the individuals involved have been changed forever. Good intentions mixed with poor judgement. So tragic.

RG

Grab your socks, boys and girls, it's going to be tough sledding because this is way too high-profile to go away quietly or soon.

Too true Larry...HDP has got to be completely losing it from all the press this is getting (its everywhere on the tube tonight)... And before they sealed the deal...

I’m sorry- I know that Troy is feeling horrible from the lives that he has taken, but at what point was his brain going to kick in and think that a full acceleration burnout (we've all seen the tape- on it WAY too hard/long) with his professional race car might NOT have been good idea?

When he didn’t inspect the roadway surface?

When he noticed the men, women and children lining both sides of the road?

When the car never quite hooked up and started to get away from him?

This was just a BAD IDEA that became a tragic event. And I’m being nice- when "Inside Edition" types gets hold of this... then the sh!ts really gonna hit the fan... Hard to get Corporate America involved before?

Sympathies to the families for their losses

from one of the Yahoo Groups.....

"We were filming this past Saturday in Selmer, Tn when the fatal crash
happened. I really can't believe what we all saw.... our whole cast and
crew are in a daze to say the least.

We will be having a special radio show this Tuesday night June 19th at 10pm central to help the families that have lost loved ones or are injured because they are in a lot of need right now. I will be posting the bank in Selmer
that is taking the donations as soon as I get the information as I
am in close contact with the founder of Cars 4 Kids, Larry Price.

This charity he put together is a great cause and has heped raise
millions of dollars and has helped numerous kids in the 18 years
they have been around and I truly believe in this cause as did the
people who attended this event. And right now we need everyone's aid
in helping the people who have helped this cause for many years as
they have lost loved ones now by helping and/or attending this
event. We gearheads and bikers need to stick together and help. But
more importantly as humans.

Please tune in and participate in this weeks show. The station number is 615 662-8229 Please also spread the word in a big way to get the word out and help show these families and Cars 4 Kids support in this trying time. Tune in at WRFN - Radio Free Nashville - Trainings, Meetings & Events Thank you

Respectfully,
K9 Kohl"

I have to agree with Randy Goodwin's practice.
IF you're gonna thrill the crowd - disconnect the driveshaft.
Sure, this was one looong burnout but, could have had a similar result if there was just a broken axle or similar miscue that might have have caused the car to make a sudden lunge into the crowd. There appear to have been some barriers but, they probably wouldn't have done much good.
Best of intentions - worst possible results.

He has demonstrated a complete lack of judgement to the tune of six dead. And it easily could have been twice that many.

If he ever shows up at a race that my children and I happen to be attending, we are running for the hills.

He has demonstrated a complete lack of judgement to the tune of six dead. And it easily could have been twice that many.

If he ever shows up at a race that my children and I happen to be attending, we are running for the hills.

I think you and your children should never go back to a race track again then, b/c you never know what will and can happen. Thats why its called an ACCIDENT. Every race track is dangerous, period. From the local Sat night bracket races to the professional shows.

Garry, first I want you to know that I understand where you're coming from. I really do. We all are upset and emotional over this terrible awful tragedy.

But...have you ever demonstrated a poor lack of judgment? I can only assume that you (like everyone else) has. It just didn't happen to cost people lives.

Poor lack of judgments include:
-Going faster than the speed limit and faster than the posted mph around curvy roads.
-Going outside during a thunderstorm
-Going out in the sun without sunscreen.
-Doing a burnout on a city street

I've touch on four poor judgments that rarely cost people lives. But sometimes, due to freak accidents can. If you've gone 10 or 15 mph over the speed limit with kids in the car, you're putting them in danger. If you go outside during a thunderstorm, and lightning is JUST at the right place, you get struck. If you consistently go in the sun with sunscreen, it could cause cancer. Garry, I would hope that you would have the same kind of mercy for Troy Critchley as he made a mistake, and this time it cost someone their lives. I've never heard of a burnout costing someone their life, even on a city street. One of the Coughlin's did it on a city block for Jeg's week. People do it during car shows all the time. Never has it ended up this tragic.

All I'm saying is: It could have been you Garry. It could have been you.

Have some compassion. Have some pity. Kiss your kids and family goodnight, and thank God they're still with you. And start using good judgment. Stop pointing fingers.

It's always been said that when you have one pointing at someone else, you have three pointing right back at yourself.

Im glad to read everyone is calming down a lil bit on this sad sad event, heres a link to another crash at a OFF TRACK burnout that happend recently but Im not sure when The Times-Reporter
Shows like these are very common, crashes like these are not. Troy gets to wake up for the rest of his life reliving this. Im sorry this whole thread lasted as long as it has, and people have said what theyve said, possibly thoughts they should of kept to themselves. Troy is a part of our drag racing family.
Bad Ink? Bad wording? You got to be kidding me that those are the first thoughts in your mind that traveled down to your finger tips to post here. Keep Troy in your prayers as much as those who died and were injured. Compassion is whats needed at this time, a moment of silence. I feel really ashamed that I even came back to this thread this morning. But it bothered me all night at work.

Yes, tracks are dangerous places. And we take every reasonable precaution for our safety.

When an individual exhibits poor judgement to the extreme that was displayed on Saturday, sanctioning bodies and or track owners or their insurance companies, or somebody... anybody... ought to step in and prevent this individual from killing more people.

Garry, first I want you to know that I understand where you're coming from. I really do. We all are upset and emotional over this terrible awful tragedy.

But...have you ever demonstrated a poor lack of judgment? I can only assume that you (like everyone else) has. It just didn't happen to cost people lives.

Poor lack of judgments include:
-Going faster than the speed limit and faster than the posted mph around curvy roads.
-Going outside during a thunderstorm
-Going out in the sun without sunscreen.
-Doing a burnout on a city street

I've touch on four poor judgments that rarely cost people lives. But sometimes, due to freak accidents can. If you've gone 10 or 15 mph over the speed limit with kids in the car, you're putting them in danger. If you go outside during a thunderstorm, and lightning is JUST at the right place, you get struck. If you consistently go in the sun with sunscreen, it could cause cancer. Garry, I would hope that you would have the same kind of mercy for Troy Critchley as he made a mistake, and this time it cost someone their lives. I've never heard of a burnout costing someone their life, even on a city street. One of the Coughlin's did it on a city block for Jeg's week. People do it during car shows all the time. Never has it ended up this tragic.

All I'm saying is: It could have been you Garry. It could have been you...

Come on, Jeremy. Equating Critchley's actions with forgetting to put sunscreen on is not only ludicrous, it's a slap in the face to the deceased.

No... It could NOT have been me. And it could not have been most of people who frequent this board. Anybody with an ounce of sense could see where that stunt was headed.

Last edited:
For those of you who think he should be arrested, suspended, etc and that all the blame lies on him, I think your wrong. Should he have done it? No. Should they have let him do it or asked him to? No. The police were there, did they stop him or believe it unsafe? No. Should the people be lined up along the road watching something like this totally disregarding their own safety? No. It was an accident, plain and simple. I agree it should have never happened but it is what it is and I think Troy will be living with this for the rest of his life as punishment enough.

Come on, Jeremy. Equating Critchley's actions with forgetting to put sunscreen on is not only ludicrous, it's a slap in the face to the deceased.

No... It could NOT have been me. And it could not have been most of people who frequent this board. Anybody with an ounce of sense could see where that stunt was headed.

Garry,

My point was that it was a seemingly HARMLESS action that turned very wrong very fast. Burnouts have been done A LOT for events like this. And none have ever gone wrong. Are you criticizing the Coughlin's for doing a burnout for Jeg's week in a pro stock car? Didn't think so. Why? Because that didn't go wrong. This did.

It could have been you, Garry. You, just like me and other people on this board aren't perfect. You know it. I know it. We make bad choices, and bad calls, and rarely cost people lives. This one did, and it's being magnified, rightfully so.

I'm sure when Troy did his burnout he wasn't thinking "gosh, I hope this car doesn't lose grip and go off the road and kill 7 people."

You are assuming the worst about Troy Critchley. Let it go. He made a mistake. And I hope someone near you is able to point out, and magnify the next one you make.

Just what did they call this activity before there was a drag strip built ???
When the built the first strip did they then have a "NAME THIS SPORT CONTEST" ???

Absolutely. There was drag racing long before there ever was drag strips let alone sanctioned drag strips.
You can go to dictionary.com and look up the difination of drag racin g.

drag race**
n.** A race between two cars to determine which can accelerate faster from a standstill.

No mention of sanctioned event, etc.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back