Russell v. Goodyear, settled (1 Viewer)

So does this mean NHRA will finally be releasing that report we were promised 2 years ago?

If NHRA had to pay out to Julie wouldn't it show on their tax filings for the end of the year?

So does this mean NHRA will finally be releasing that report we were promised 2 years ago?

If NHRA had to pay out to Julie wouldn't it show on their tax filings for the end of the year?

Only to Julie Russell

It is a loss of revenue their tax filing would show it, but they probably know how to disguise it.

Chris Cook, you should be utterly ashamed of your last comment.

I am sure that all that Mrs Russal wanted to do is find out why thir seams to be a cover-up over the tyre issue to make sure that doesn't happen again.

But as usual coperate USA has its way waving their $$$ around....

It is one aspects of the USA which I hate.

Cheers

Jjames

in my early post i am just seeing what "guide line" and what will be cut.
also nhra has the pay out hidden in paper work and file somewhere with the insurance comp so we will really know the deal. there is so much more to this and i cant say mrs russell just wanted answers and she got them but she can not discuss it due to the settlement plus thanks for the gretings

I agree with the "settle so that the sale to HDP can go ahead" theory. That is a common cause of settlements, as nobody will buy a company with pending litagation against it.

I would, most of all, want to see the official report. I have contact with a lot of crew, owners, and drivers, and most of them have a different story about the cause of the crash and the direct mechanism of D.R.'s injuries.

The cop in me just wants to know if the rule changes will be truly effective in preventing another tragedy like this or were they just implemented to give the appearance of doing SOMETHING.

Now that, that is settled maybe goodyear will come up with a new tire that can stand up to todays t/f, f/c requirements

Or maybe Goodyear says kiss my weenie and withdraws from drag racing altogether. Maybe they'll decide it's no longer viable to make a profit from the sport and with the threat of lawsuits hanging over their head with each run, adios. Folks bet zillions that Michelin would not leave Formula One.

Or maybe Goodyear says kiss my weenie and withdraws from drag racing altogether. Maybe they'll decide it's no longer viable to make a profit from the sport and with the threat of lawsuits hanging over their head with each run, adios. Folks bet zillions that Michelin would not leave Formula One.

Unfortunately, I think this scenario is VERY likely.
Goodyear is pretty shaky right now and Drag Racing is, likely, a loser.

They might be better off getting into bed with another company. In any event, I'd keep Hoosier in mind - Different economics with a boutique producer.

Lastly, I hope one provision of the settlement was a restraining order, mandating that Julie Russell stay away from any NHRA sanctioned track and any licensed NHRA competitor so that we may never have to see her again. You got what you wanted Julie, cold hard cash ... now go the hell away.

Hey Chris, F___ YOU!!!
I'm truly sorry there is this split between the "Russell family" and Julie but no matter what, Darrell loved her and she was HIS wife!!! That fact can never be changed!
You CAN'T imagine what she's gone thru and I think you're an ass for typing that last paragraph!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hey Chris, F___ YOU!!!
I'm truly sorry there is this split between the "Russell family" and Julie but no matter what, Darrell loved her and she was HIS wife!!! That fact can never be changed!
You CAN'T imagine what she's gone thru and I think you're an ass for typing that last paragraph!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Darrell was also a brother and a son....and it's a well known fact that the Russell family wanted nothing to do with this law suit....Does that mean there pain was any less?? Does that mean they loved him any less?? All this lawsuit did was drag on the grieving process

Darrell was also a brother and a son....and it's a well known fact that the Russell family wanted nothing to do with this law suit....Does that mean there pain was any less?? Does that mean they loved him any less?? All this lawsuit did was drag on the grieving process

I hear you Mike!
It's well known that the Russell family didn't agree with Julie's decision.

That was a little harsh though Chris....:eek:

Mike you are correct except your last line.
Maybe this is what she needed for HER grieving process. I'm not diminshing Darrell's "blood family's" situation; I just felt it assinine to treat Darrell's "marrige family" like CC did!
JMHO

Methinks this lawsuit settlement is two-fold. First, you don't want a sympathetic widow going in front of a jury, especially against 2 big, bad corporations like NHRA and Goodyear that made her husband race on a bad tire against his will, which is surely how Julie's lawyers would have presented the case.

Secondly, the NHRA needed this lawsuit out of the way to move the sale to HDP ahead. Why not dump a couple of million (guesstimate) towards Julie so you can make 100 million on the back-end of the sale to HDP?

Lastly, I hope one provision of the settlement was a restraining order, mandating that Julie Russell stay away from any NHRA sanctioned track and any licensed NHRA competitor so that we may never have to see her again. You got what you wanted Julie, cold hard cash ... now go the hell away.

This has to rank as one of the most ignorant and insensitive posts that has ever made it's way onto this forum...and that's saying a lot. It appears that when the providers of brains were handing out the basic package you must have been under a restraining order to stay away yourself. rjs

In most cases settlements (C&R) before actual trial are paid pennies on the dollars..ESQ's received most of it...My wife's firm demands 40-60% w/out any money down up front if they are victorious...
Insurance companies love to settle before trial as do most ESQ's...
And if it went to trial it could go either way, and a decision does not guarentee payment before many, many levels of appeals...And my wife's firm never wants to go before the top level of justice as the current leaders are VERY conservative and do not like these type of suits..
It is very obvious Daryl Russell (R.I.P.) did not prepare his own family financially in the event something happened...Evident by the auction headed by Dixon Jr in Pomona after the crash...as all the cash went straight to Julie...
I am blown away when people do not take care of business...
GOODYEAR pays premiums, like the NHRA, for 24 hour a day defense coverage...GOODYEAR and the NHRA will not lose any sleep w/ this situation and still have not admitted guilt or a written report....Most ESQ's are very sharp elbowed...and very unconcerned when dealing w/ emotional people..

And to Chris....Many people have already said those words to her...was very un-called for here...

Last edited:
Mike you are correct except your last line.
Maybe this is what she needed for HER grieving process. I'm not diminshing Darrell's "blood family's" situation; I just felt it assinine to treat Darrell's "marrige family" like CC did!
JMHO

i completely understand what you are sayin Wayne....i'm not defending what Chris said, but i am not gonna jump on him either...he's entitled to his opinion too

you realize you just contradicted yourself right?

Last edited:
I just hope this is over now!
It was a very tragic event that affected a lot of people Darrell was one of the really great people in our sport very approachable and genuinely a trruely nice guy rest in peace Darrell.

Methinks this lawsuit settlement is two-fold. First, you don't want a sympathetic widow going in front of a jury, especially against 2 big, bad corporations like NHRA and Goodyear that made her husband race on a bad tire against his will, which is surely how Julie's lawyers would have presented the case.

Secondly, the NHRA needed this lawsuit out of the way to move the sale to HDP ahead. Why not dump a couple of million (guesstimate) towards Julie so you can make 100 million on the back-end of the sale to HDP?

Mr. Barrett, Mr. Williams how did this ever get by you?

...We did learn something from this incident. We got the titanium Shield around the back of the cage. If you remember a few years back, a peice of "SOMETHING" came off Cory Mac's car, and if not for the shield, it would have hit him right in the back of the head...thru the cage! We also learned a valuable lesson about how to live each day to it's fullest potential, at least I did! On that day, we lost one of the nicest people on the planet. His death was truly a tragic loss. I never liked the idea of this lawsuit. However, I am not Julie Russell. I did not loose my spouse to a Drag Racing accident.

I am a Driver of Dragsters. As a Driver, I always try to learn from other's Incidents or Accident, so that, If confronted by the same situation, I can recall the info and make the right call. In this incident, There was nothing Darrell could have done to avoid the accident, or debris. I am afraid that the only thing that would have come out of this lawsuit, would have been some horrible descriptive info on the Death of Darrell Russell. There was nothing else to be learned or shared.

The way in which he lost his life, is not "MATTER" for this "Mater" or any other website. Doing this is like discussing what Killed Blaine Johnson, Eric Medlen, Carrie Neal, Shelly Howard, Mulligan, Jimmy Nix, Jeff Krug, or any other drag racer. Just not appropriate!

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back