Russell v. Goodyear, settled (1 Viewer)

This is me just thinking a little in the depths of my mind, so slightly excuse some of the thoughts. But. . .
If there is a God, and there is life after this earth, and Julie gets the chance to meet back up with Darrell. Lucy has some splainin' to do. And I think Darrell will be none too pleased with her decision here.
But that is just me thinking.

I'm certain that part of the agreement is that ALL details including any monetary awards are strictly confidential. That announcement is probably as much as we're going to find out about it.

Now that, that is settled maybe goodyear will come up with a new tire that can stand up to todays t/f, f/c requirements

I am glad it never went to court.

So for Goodyear and the NHRA to roll over and offer an acceptable settlement I think that Julie & the legal team must have come up with a strong case as well as some good evidence.

Now, if that evidence points to a potentially dangerous situation that NHRA fuel cars still have to deal with, wouldnt it be better if it went to court and this evidence was made public for all the racers to see?

Maybe I missed something, but how do we know who rolled over? The fact that it didn't go to court could be a benefit to both sides. But I'm no attorney...

So for Goodyear and the NHRA to roll over and offer an acceptable settlement I think that Julie & the legal team must have come up with a strong case as well as some good evidence.

Now, if that evidence points to a potentially dangerous situation that NHRA fuel cars still have to deal with, wouldnt it be better if it went to court and this evidence was made public for all the racers to see?

If the fact was let known that goodyear produced a defective tire and it was the cause of a death, that would open the floodgates for anyone to sue goodyear who lost someone because of a tire failure, that's why they settle out of court, and they put a gag order on the outcome.

It's all about the lawyers!

I understand the concept, all I am saying is there is almost certainly strong evidence that a bad tire was forced on the teams with knowledge by both the NHRA and Goodyear. That being said, I don't think it was a secret to anybody and the court case might, just might have put some sense into someone's head not to force a race on an integral piece of a car that had a known issue in the future.

I understand the concept, all I am saying is there is almost certainly strong evidence that a bad tire was forced on the teams with knowledge by both the NHRA and Goodyear. That being said, I don't think it was a secret to anybody and the court case might, just might have put some sense into someone's head not to force a race on an integral piece of a car that had a known issue in the future.

Very true but goodyears lawyer's would never let that happen.

It's all about the lawyers!

Why would there be a question of money? After all, didn't Mrs. Russell say that she just wanted "answers"?

Dave

Methinks this lawsuit settlement is two-fold. First, you don't want a sympathetic widow going in front of a jury, especially against 2 big, bad corporations like NHRA and Goodyear that made her husband race on a bad tire against his will, which is surely how Julie's lawyers would have presented the case.

Secondly, the NHRA needed this lawsuit out of the way to move the sale to HDP ahead. Why not dump a couple of million (guesstimate) towards Julie so you can make 100 million on the back-end of the sale to HDP?

Last edited:
Methinks this lawsuit settlement is two-fold. First, you don't want a sympathetic widow going in front of a jury, especially against 2 big, bad corporations like NHRA and Goodyear that made her husband race on a bad tire against his will, which is surely how Julie's lawyers would have presented the case.

Secondly, the NHRA needed this lawsuit out of the way to move the sale to HDP ahead. Why not dump a couple of million (guesstimate) towards Julie so you can make 100 million on the back-end of the sale to HDP?

Lastly, I hope one provision of the settlement was a restraining order, mandating that Julie Russell stay away from any NHRA sanctioned track and any licensed NHRA competitor so that we may never have to see her again. You got what you wanted Julie, cold hard cash ... now go the hell away.

i agree with you except for your last line. IF and i say IF i was killed in an accident due to a product that was (suposidly) known by the company to be falty, i would rest easy knowing and hopeing my wife would take the "accused" company for their last dime.

well i am new here and this is a sore sub for me do to i have seen the tire problem not only in drag but in all sports that their tire is used. if you think back and see very few problems were had untill G-Y went across the pond to make the tires. i was told that G-y lost money on the fuel tire and that the adverts whould make up the diff. in comes democraps and the tree huggers and gore decided to save us and put restriction and slap them with $ fines
we lost winston next will be beer. hoosier tire hasnt had problems in rounding-rounds dirt/ what ever do you think they G-Y forgot how to make a tire........my $1.295

Why would there be a question of money? After all, didn't Mrs. Russell say that she just wanted "answers"?

Dave

Bingo we have a winner!

She was promised a report by the nhra and goodyear about the component (tire) that caused Darrell's death, but then refused to give her, she just wanted the "answer(s)" to bring her closier.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back