Rumblings (1 Viewer)

To anyone who wants to abandon the NHRA in their hour of need instead of helping them right the ship, my Oklahoma born grandmother said it best. Don't let the screen door hit you on the arse on the way out.
As soon as you leave, you are yesterday's news. NHRA will hold the Winternations with or without you. Garlits learned this lesson several times.
Pro Stock needs the NHRA a lot more than the NHRA needs Pro Stock. Did the NHRA mandate rules to say that racers had to pay mega-mega bucks to lease an engine? Build a high-dollar rear end? I've NEVER seen the NHRA implement rules to make the cars run faster. The Pro Stock owners and racers don't have a leg to stand on. Nitro puts the fans in the seats and the viewers in front of their TV sets. Don't get me wrong, I love Pro Stock, especially way back when it had some connection to Stock.

To anyone who wants to abandon the NHRA in their hour of need instead of helping them right the ship, my Oklahoma born grandmother said it best. Don't let the screen door hit you on the arse on the way out.
As soon as you leave, you are yesterday's news. NHRA will hold the Winternations with or without you. Garlits learned this lesson several times.
I don't think they are running the winternationals, they are starting in Gainesville with the Gators..........................

Pro Stock needs the NHRA a lot more than the NHRA needs Pro Stock. Did the NHRA mandate rules to say that racers had to pay mega-mega bucks to lease an engine? Build a high-dollar rear end? I've NEVER seen the NHRA implement rules to make the cars run faster. The Pro Stock owners and racers don't have a leg to stand on. Nitro puts the fans in the seats and the viewers in front of their TV sets. Don't get me wrong, I love Pro Stock, especially way back when it had some connection to Stock.

Pretty tough to argue with any part of this post.....

Sean D

I think the NHRA needs to get creative with their thinking about which classes they want in their shows.

Every time I watch those street outlaw shows and see the kind of money they are racing for on a weekly basis without having to travel very much the thought goes through my head maybe this is the direction drag racing is going in.
If they move their shows from the streets to a drag strip and then maybe move the shows every few weeks to another drag strip get and maybe get MAVTV interested it just might work.

I know the NHRA would never consider letting them race on any NHRA sectioned drag strips but hell there are plenty of other drag strips would love to give their shows a shot.

Just thinking outside of the box.

Jim Hill

Street Outlaws No Prep is exactly as you describe. All their big names and big personalities racing at tracks across the country. Pay $40,000 to win an event and $100,000 for their points championship. Of course they only have to pay out to one class.

are we all forgetting every TF and FC run a hemi .I don't hear any complaints about that. GM engines will rule PS until something better comes along.

are we all forgetting every TF and FC run a hemi .I don't hear any complaints about that. GM engines will rule PS until something better comes along.
Let’s see, new hemi, factored them out, what a shocker, ford 4 cam motor, not even allowed, I’d say until NHRA allows anything but GM to be dominating

Street Outlaws No Prep is exactly as you describe. All their big names and big personalities racing at tracks across the country. Pay $40,000 to win an event and $100,000 for their points championship. Of course they only have to pay out to one class.

James Morgan, I think we both agree that $40,000 for winning a drag race maybe once a month is a lot more money than the sectioning bodies are offering for two-day events.
I do not condone street racing but this type of racing is very popular.

I saw what happened when they moved their events to places like Bristol and started selling or even giving away tickets to their events.
For me, it's kind of like watching the day's of match racing which also was very popular back in the 60's and 70's

Who would have thought that you could make more money racing on the streets than at sectioned events?

Jim Hill

And they’re doing the same with Factory Stock.
I think it’s difficult to keep parity in Factory Stock any other way than blower overdrive and weight. The cars are allowed to run the power plant offered by the factory, so if they don’t want it to become a 1 manufacturer race like Pro Stock, they have to stick to their guns.

James Morgan, I think we both agree that $40,000 for winning a drag race maybe once a month is a lot more money than the sectioning bodies are offering for two-day events.

I feel like we need some clarity here. I can't find a prize money structure for No Prep Kings but I believe it might be winner takes all (happy to be corrected)? So $40,000 total purse. NHRA Pro Stock's COVID reduced purse is $56,000. And that's not to mention any other categories.

Reading through this thread, it's remarkable NHRA has been able to pay what it does, in my opinion. And when you look at the pros and cons of each deal it doesn't look so bad.

Bracket racing - yep there are big bucks on offer, but it's taking other racers' money - like playing poker in race cars. If you look at the Million Dollar Drag Race, it's a $2k entry fee straight up and they need 626 entries to actually run for a million (so over $1.2m in entry fees). If you get to the fourth round you get your entry fee back, so 15 out of 16 racers are going home four figures poorer in entry fees alone. (entries and payouts here: https://themilliononline.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/2020_Million_Flyer_FRONT_WEB.jpg)

No Prep Kings - decent pay outs, the money here comes from the TV show. Not a bad model really - but comes with restrictions. Not an open series from what I understand. It's not like anyone can just rock up and race, you have to be invited. Only paying out a single category.

PDRA - Looking at Extreme Pro Stock as an example. Total payout is $11,000 (16 car field) and entry fee is $800. You need to make the semis to get your entry money back. NO TV and small numbers of spectators if you want sponsors to foot the bill.

NHRA - even during COVID, NHRA Pro Stock received $56,000 per event. I don't know what the entry fee is. This purse was despite the major drop in spectators (one of the main revenue sources) and the incredible major sponsorship challenge NHRA has faced this season. Plus you get a national TV broadcast for sponsorship and you get to take part in one of the few series with reliable spectator turn out to boost your sponsorship engagement at track.

Great post Luke. I’ve touched on this many times in my posts, I really like your “poker with race cars” reference, because that’s what it is. And that is cool, just a different model.

If they ever got some sort of court ruling that stated NHRA could only sanction events, not racetracks, it would be huge for drag rcing.

I talked to a former Alky FC racer in Vegas about the class payouts for them in the Midwest Pro Mod series. It does pay more to win than NHRA but the rest of the round money is really small.

If they ever got some sort of court ruling that stated NHRA could only sanction events, not racetracks, it would be huge for drag rcing.

You are clueless.

You do know that no racetrack is forced to have an NHRA sanction, don't you? Every NHRA sanctioned track is that because they want to be.
And if you want to be NHRA sanctioned you do what is required for that.

Just like if you want to have a certain job and it requires certification, you don't want to go through the certification? No problem. But you can't have the job. You decide.

I have a CDL that requires me to have a DOT physical every two years, even if I never drive a truck. If I want to keep my license I have to keep my health card current. But I don't have to have the physical, I could just give up the license. It's MY CHOICE.

Alan

Heard last night that one of the Pro Stock guys has contacted the IHRA about putting together something. Don't know if it's true or not, who knows?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back