Rick Stivers unharmed in spectacular crash (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]MADISON, Ill. (May 2, 2009) - Pro Mod driver Rick Stivers was unharmed after his '06 Stratus hit the wall and flipped in a qualifying accident in the Get Screened America Pro Mod Challenge Saturday at the O'Reilly NHRA Midwest Nationals.

The accident occurred in the second round of qualifying when Stivers and Brad Personett were attempting their final run of the day.

Stivers' Stratus did its slight shimmy off the line as it applied torque to the track, but, as Stivers explained, "Then all hell broke loose - literally."

According to video footage and photos taken by series photographer Roger Richards, the left-rear wheel sheared off the axle and slipped up into the chassis, pushing Stivers from the right lane to the left guard-wall, narrowly missing Personett. From there, the Stratus slammed the wall, slid, stood almost completely upright and landed on its top, then rolled back onto its wheels and came to a stop.

When the car finally stopped, Stivers got out - completely unscathed and uninjured.

"It's one of those things - I used up one of my nine lives and I have to thank the Guy upstairs for getting me out of that one. After I hit the wall, I was just flopping around - I don't really remember what was going on until I got out of the car," Stivers recalled.

"These cars are built so incredibly well - and Jerry Haas - thank you. And Brad Anderson - thank you. Everything these guys did saved me today and proved the safety things work," he said.

Stivers, who is sponsored by Trane, added, "They say it's hard to stop a Trane, but I have to think that hitting a concrete wall at 130 m.p.h. is definitely one way to do that. I'm just glad we didn't hit Brad and that I'm ok."

Brad Anderson, Stivers' crew chief and the car owner, said, "This car did everything it was supposed to do. I'm just glad Rick is OK."

Stivers is qualified No. 15 for eliminations based on his first pass, but will not make the call, giving Roger Burgess a bye in the first round on Sunday.

"We'll be back in time for Bristol, there's no doubt," Stivers said. "Brad and I both agreed that trying to get another car and run tomorrow would force the issue, and it's best to wait until we can look at things more objectively.

"Several of the Pro Mod guys offered me their backup cars - Tim Tindle, Danny Rowe, Ray Commisso - and that just shows you what a close community and family we have out here. We'll go tooth and nail against each other on the track, but at the end of the day, we want to be sure everyone is taken care of.

"I'm all right, although my wife Jill and son Rick Jr. are still shaken up a bit. I'm sure it was just as frightening for them as it was for me. When you're faced with a crash like that, it definitely makes you take a step back and think.

"I'm sorry for the guys on the team - they all work so hard to put these cars together, and it's obvious that we had a great car, but this just wasn't our weekend," Stivers added.

Plans are for Stivers and the Brad Anderson team to regroup and prepare for the next Get Screened America event scheduled May 15-17 at the NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals.

Photo courtesy Roger Richards.

Attachments

• stiverscrashmat.jpg
    stiverscrashmat.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 11
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back