Repaving during an event (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Nitro Member
Keeping track of the NHRA in Memphis and the SA IHRA national, read a DRC update this morning that they are repaving an 8' by 650' section of the right lane right of SAR right now. That has to be a first!

Actually it's not. That has been done before at Firebird (AZ), State Capitol (LA), and Houston Raceway Park.

But what IS a first...IHRA has deceided to make this national event 1/8th mile!!!!! Guess the paving repairs didn't stick? Whoa!

IHRA running 8th mile at this event.

Just got a call from San Antonio, and they did repave the right hand lane overnight, just after the eighth mile marker.

For the very first time, IHRA will be running a national event on an 8th mile track. I understand it will be for this race only.

Sorry Wes ! I just went back and re-read all the posts and it looks like the first time around I didn't catch your 2nd paragraph. Sorry for the duplication of information.

Actually it's not. That has been done before at Firebird (AZ), State Capitol (LA), and Houston Raceway Park.

But what IS a first...IHRA has deceided to make this national event 1/8th mile!!!!! Guess the paving repairs didn't stick? Whoa!

Wes the Firebird deal was the leftside Concrete pad, but that postponed the race for a whole week. I never saw why they needed to re-pave the track at San Antone?

Afternoon guys, let me tell you how my morning was. My dad and I and a friend leave Houston this morning at 4:30 and pull into San Antonio at 7:05. The parking guy (after making us move twice for 2 inches) tells us this and I qoute:

"Yeah, the damn fuel car burnt up the track last night and they have been repaving it all night long." We all just kinda looked at each other and thought the guy didnt know what the hell he was talking about. We just figured they were prepping the track.

So anyways, we go in and walk up to the track and we are meet by 4 asphalt haulers and all kinds of equipment from the 330' to the finishline. We started talking to people and some of the sportsman guys and they said the track was horrible but they couldnt believe they were doing this.

At 8:30 they said they were going to START pouring the asphalt and they should be good to go by 11 and start with the 9.90 class. Now I am not an asphalt guru or anything but doesnt it have to settle? And say the sportsman guys get down it, dont you think the fuel guys will tear it up bad since its just been layed? And I would think its probably not being put down to the best of their ability.

Too make a long story short, we decided we didnt want to spend all day there b/c we figured they would wind up calling it anyways and it did look like rain. So I am writing this now from my home back in Houston. What a trip. I just couldnt believe they repaved a racetrack during the event. I am fixing to see if they started or not but I doubt it. It was interesting to say the least. And I heard they are only going to run 1/8 mile? Is that pros too? I honestly figured they were just trying to get as many people in the gates as possible and try to recoop some $$$. I was also surprised that half the sportsman pits were empty.

So I tried to make my first IHRA National Event, but I guess I will have to find a poker tourney here tonight now.

The surface in the right lane had problems, Lagana's engine explosion last night did not cause it. They decided to run the rest of the event as an eighth-mile event, I suspect due to concerns over the stability of the new asphalt in the right lane. The last time an IHRA National event was contested on an eighth-mile track was the Southern Nationals in 1974 at the Charlotte Motor Speedway (thanks Bobby).

Justin,

Well, you should have stayed - the first pair of nitro floppers just staged for qualifying as I read your message. You are missing a unique show. As Bob pointed out, the last nitro 1/8-mile race was a long time ago.

- Larry

Justin,

Well, you should have stayed - the first pair of nitro floppers just staged for qualifying as I read your message. You are missing a unique show. As Bob pointed out, the last nitro 1/8-mile race was a long time ago.

- Larry

Larry, I really thought I would be spending all day there for nothing to be honest. I didnt think they would be able to get it stay together. And honestly making it 1/8mile never even crossed my mind before we left. Oh well. Next year I guess. And though I do love 1/8th mile pro mod racing I am not sure how I would like tf or nfc on the 1/8th mile. But anyways I hope everyone who is there has a great time and to all my friends who are racing, GOOD LUCK.

And I know that Lagana didnt have anything to do with the track, I was just stating what the genuis in the parking lot said about "the damn fuel car burnt up the track". I found it rather funny. Anyways, Go Scotty C, Bob G, Tricky Rickie or Robert Patrick, and Jenkins/Castallena.

This unbelievable! I can't believe what I read at Comp Plus so I came here for clearification. So an oil down destroyed one lane of the track, they repaved it over night, and they are going to run the event by shortening the track to 1/8 mile? Is that what I read? WOW!!!! :eek:

Please tell me if I have this wrong!

Last edited:
This is going to be one for the record books thats for sure....

what was it that Charlotte had in the late 80's with the IHRA?.. think it was 88 when they had a couple Funny cars doing burn outs before the World 600 to promote something coming later that year ????

At least it should be low cost on parts and fuel for the nitro burners....interesting for sure....

Billy

Rich,

The oildown had nothing to do with it. Some of the surface in the right lane was crumbling yesterday, kind of creating loose gravel. When they tried to patch what began as a relatively small area, the area grew with each attempt to prep it, so they decided to repave the middle of the lane from the transition through the finish line.

The upside to this is, the nitro teams will save money on parts and fuel! ;)

Though I never saw it, according to those that would know, the eighth-mile drag strip at Charlotte Motor Speedway also served as the pit road for the oval track! :eek:

The track was ground a few weeks ago to get rid of a bump in the asphalt section. Apparently the asphalt cap was too thin in that section and the grinding made it even thinner. It appeared to be okay until the big Top Fuel slicks started to work on the thin cap, breaking it up. While they were cleaning up the oildown, they noticed a lot of gravel and looked for the source - which turned out to be the track surface breaking up. When they started, they though the repair would be limited, but the area outside the first cut started breaking up when they ground the middle of the track away, so they had to widen the cut to eight feet and take it all the way down the asphalt.

Some cars have gone almost to the finish line under power, but in the interests of safety, they decided to use the freshly paved area as a shutdown area instead of racing across it.

It was the only logical decision to make. Think about all the money, the racers (some of whom couldn't afford), who would have to pack up and tow back to where-ever would incur. Think of the expense. At least we get to have a race.

When you have lemons, you make lemonade. That's what happened.

It's not the perfect scenario but it was the best one for the situation.

The bottom line is the stands are full and even though the racers were offered a chance for a refund of their entry fees, only one ET box car chose to take them up on it.

Funny, IHRA just accidentally set a precedent for 1/8 mile Pro sessions. The fans still got to see 260+ MPH speeds. If IHRA has half a brain, they'll do some intense interviewing of some fans in attendance to get feedback.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back