REALLY Stupid metal thieves! (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
We have had two valuable backflow preventers stolen off the back of our building, but this one just amazes me! We came in Monday to find phone, fax and credit card lines dead. Qwest responded very quickly and found all of the very fine wires in the box on the back of the building had been chopped out.
Finally got service Tuesday - Qwest techs told us this is happening constantly.
There could not have been more than a few ounces of copper in what they stole. Very glad that I'm not gonna have to worry about s$$$ like this any more!

Here's a cut & paste from our local paper of what the tweakers are doing around here.

"The thieves descend on dark, rural roads in the early morning hours. They throw ropes over power poles, hook the other end to their trucks and drive away, yanking down foot after foot of copper wire. Lights in houses go dark. Public utility crews are scrambled. And live wires hang limp, waiting to electrocute an unsuspecting passerby.

The thieves have cut down flag poles, Mansfield said. They’re rolling under cars in parking lots and hacking out catalytic converters with electric saws. And, in what officials consider a particularly grotesque afront, they’re even snatching up plaques and urns from cemeteries. (It was reported this week that someone stole eight bronze veterans’ grave markers, some nearly 100 years old, from a Vader cemetery.)"

I think the real issue here is the metal recyclers. They see these clowns coming in with this random pooh and don't ask any questions they just say "here's $50".

If they had some incentive (laws?) to make them more accountable, there'd be no market for this stuff, and these clowns will have to find something else to steal. It has worked for pawn shops, to a large extent, that's why these guys are stealing this stuff -- time to make it work for metal.

In Oregon tweakers have stolen anything that isn't nailed down, especially at construction sites but a few months ago, three of them stole a bronze statue of Sacajewa (sp?) near the Oregon coast, cut it up into three pieces and tried to sell it to a scrap metal business in Bend which is only about 200 miles away. Thankfully the guy recognized it as something important, and the three were brought to justice.
Art Alexsakis from Everclear was hosting a radio show in Portland a few years back and when the subject turned to tweakers, he summed it up best by saying "Dude, don't take my stuff, take a nap"

Our local paper did a story a year or so ago where the reporters grew a couple days stubble of whiskers borrowed an old pickup & took some scrap metal to a recycler. They did not even give them a second look when they tried to sell some sections of highway guard rail & other questionable stuff.When they confronted them later they had some pretty serious egg on their faces! They just say the old "it's not fair to the honest people to scrutinize them" I have some old truck parts I need to take in(doors, fenders, misc. scrap parts from projects) I should dress in my best tweeker clothes when I take them in.:p

They had some issues here with the low-lifes stealing the copper vases that some of the cemetaries were using for flowers at the headstones. Sick and disturbing, that is for sure.

If the punishment isn't harsh enough to scare them off from such activities, why stop? They have already ignored their conscience for so long that it's all but absent and they need their drugs plus, if they were to get caught, they get three square meals a day for a period of time and that's better than they get on the outside.

Now, if they were forced to build roads for their meals or even make small rocks out of larger ones all day long, then we would make some serious progress. It never ceases to amaze me how many find that crime actually does pay any way you look at it from their eyes. The ACLU and liberals come to mind when I think of the real root of the problem. I suspect most others disagree since nothing whatsoever is being done?

A driver for a scrap metal place told me prices have been going through the roof (related to the dollar going down, I'm guessing.) They don't take cars with gas tanks so, people have been securing them with rubber straps, then cutting the metal ones off. They drive them to the scrapyard and to edge of the scale, remove the gas tank, push the car onto the scale, push it off the scale, collect their money, then ride home with whoever followed them.

I called a friend a few months ago to ask if he had a used radiator core that would fit my Kenworth. He started angrily yelling into the phone "Hell no! F***in' thieves got me for forty aluminum wheels, etc, etc, so I don't keep ANYTHING of metal value when it comes off the trucks now! If anyone's taking it to the scrapyard, I am!"

I've heard story after story of copper pipe being pulled out of the ground with pickups and chains.

Just put catalytic converter theft into youtube.

If the punishment isn't harsh enough to scare them off from such activities, why stop? They have already ignored their conscience for so long that it's all but absent and they need their drugs plus, if they were to get caught, they get three square meals a day for a period of time and that's better than they get on the outside.

Unless they happen to be in Maricopa County, Arizona.

Now, if they were forced to build roads for their meals or even make small rocks out of larger ones all day long, then we would make some serious progress. It never ceases to amaze me how many find that crime actually does pay any way you look at it from their eyes. The ACLU and liberals come to mind when I think of the real root of the problem. I suspect most others disagree since nothing whatsoever is being done?

And they will in Maricopa County, Arizona. Even the women. Check Snopes: Sheriff, Maricopa County, Arizona

Unless they happen to be in Maricopa County, Arizona.

And they will in Maricopa County, Arizona. Even the women. Check Snopes: Sheriff, Maricopa County, Arizona
I live in Maricopa County and it's not quite how it's depicted albeit it is far more like prison than the other country clubs. Stupid thing is the liberal mindset is continually growing here in our state and Sheriff Joe barely wins every subsequent election. Sheriff Joe is just a start in my book. I must admit how startling it is to travel and have folks from anywhere else ask about our Sheriff however. He's extremely popular every else but here for some stupid reason.

Just put catalytic converter theft into youtube.

We replace Cats and recyclers come around to buy the cores. A few weeks ago we heard from our supplier that a man had been going around offering to buy them, and low balling people so they'd decline to sell and then the 'buyer' would break in later to steal the cores once he knew where there were stored and how much the shop had.

Then a guy came in and he wanted to see the cats and I told the guy I'll have somebody bring them up to the front but he wanted to go back there and I said "Nope, you aren't an employee so I'll have somebody bring them up" but he kept pressuring me so I said "You do it my way or you can get out" and he left.

Somethings got to be done about this.
I remember a few years back when theives broke into the Ewalds Bank Americar Nostalgia Top Fuel cars trailer and ripped out everything metal including some very almost imposible parts to replace.
Pawn shops, well at least in CA have to report certain items, I think that it wouldnt take much to require personal information of people bringing in and selling metal of certain criterias at the recyclers.

We had a guy here in Austin that was stealing copper wiring from a live power sub station and he got fried pretty badly...and actually lived, but is still in a burn unit and dont expect him to live much longer. From what they reported he is a drug addict that was supporting his habit by ripping off the citys' utility yards after hours and just became more desperate to things in the daytime. Serves him right.

We had a guy here in Austin that was stealing copper wiring from a live power sub station and he got fried pretty badly...and actually lived, but is still in a burn unit and dont expect him to live much longer. From what they reported he is a drug addict that was supporting his habit by ripping off the citys' utility yards after hours and just became more desperate to things in the daytime. Serves him right.

The bad part is, the rest of you will pay his medical expenses every time you go to the DR's office now.:mad:

Kathryn Loundree and four others tried to scrap art from a Portland home for money

The caper was cursed from the get-go.

The thieves, who knew no one was home at the Vollum estate that night, thought the four massive bronze sculptures on the grounds could be taken with no one the wiser.

If only they had a truck.

So they stole a pickup and parked it nearby on Skyline Boulevard, but by the time they wrenched the heavy sculptures free and dragged them through the woods, the truck was gone. The police had towed it away.

That setback forced them to beg for a truck from friends. They ended up leaving two sculptures behind.

It took them almost a month of hard labor to saw the bronze artworks into pieces they thought they could safely sell. They did such a poor job they were caught at the metal recyclers, where workers recognized a bronze hand in a bucket of fragments.

The band of thieves destroyed an estimated $81,000 worth of artwork to pocket $264 in scrap metal, before getting caught a month after the Dec. 18 heist.

Last week in Multnomah County Circuit Court, prosecutors outlined the metal-for-money scheme in painstaking detail to cement their case against 37-year-old Kathryn Michelle Loundree, a security guard who was working at the estate that night.

Although she insisted she was not guilty, Deputy District Attorney Charles Mickley said Loundree was the mastermind.

Prosecutors said Loundree -- struggling to support Rodney Remmick, her unemployed boyfriend -- hatched the plan to supplement her $9.25-an-hour job. One place she patrolled was the estate of the late philanthropists Jean and Howard Vollum, a co-founder of Tektronix.

Police say Loundree, Remmick and co-defendants David Dahlman, Erin McConnell and Anthony Starns may have wanted the money for meth.

On the other hand, defense attorney James Britt argued that Loundree was being unfairly accused by her co-defendants, "a bunch of roaches." Britt said Loundree had no criminal history and was the only one with a job. He criticized her choice of boyfriend and associates.

"If my client is guilty of something, she's probably guilty of bad judgment," Britt said.

Jurors, however, didn't agree.

It took them two hours Friday evening to find her guilty of 11 charges including aggravated theft.

She'll be sentenced next month. The other members of the scheme are either in prison or awaiting sentencing. The most time any one of them has received is a little more than three years.

A dark and stormy night

Missing from the estate were two large sculptures by Northwest artists: "Mother and Child" by the late Frederic Littman and an untitled sculpture by Lee Kelly.

During the four-day trial, Dahlman, Starns and Starns' girlfriend, Rebecca Post, testified that Loundree was involved from the beginning, was present as the sculptures were cut apart in her Northeast Portland trailer and complained to her boyfriend about how they'd now have to divide the profits.

"She was upset that so many people were involved," Post testified. "It was supposed to be her and her boyfriend's gig."

It was sometime after midnight and raining the night Dahlman, McConnell and Remmick unbolted and shook the sculptures free. Stunned to find the stolen truck gone, the trio walked more than three miles to find a pay phone. They called Post and begged a ride. Starns came along.

"Instead of saying, 'This is ridiculous. I'm going home. It's cold.' They collectively decide to go back," said Keith Krafve, the sheriff's detective who investigated the case with Portland police.

Portland police Detective Mark Georgioff received a call from Metro Metals in Northeast Portland when an employee at the recycling business thought some metal brought in matched the description of one of the sculptures. Police found a 250-pound piece of "Mother and Child" in the closet of Loundree's trailer, at Northeast 64th Avenue and Killingsworth Street.

Dorie Vollum was the first in the family to go to the sheriff's office and view the dozens of cut-apart pieces of the artwork.

"It was like identifying a body," Vollum said.

Metal stolen for drugs

When they learned that the acclaimed sculptures were missing, Dorie Vollum and her sister-in-law, TC Vollum, told police some aficionado must have taken them.

"We thought it was an art theft," TC Vollum said.

". . . That it was sitting in someone's garden somewhere," Dorie Vollum said, finishing the thought.

Detectives shook their heads, knowing all too well the likely motive. Thieves scour the countryside for metal to sell to recyclers as metal prices have skyrocketed.

Nationally, thieves grab everything from copper wiring to catalytic converters in cars, but they also have taken works of art. A month after the Vollum sculptures were stolen, someone made off with a statue of Sacagawea and her baby from Fort Clatsop National Memorial Park near Astoria. It was dismembered, too.

Both "Mother and Child" and the untitled sculpture stolen from the Vollum estate are damaged beyond repair. But the extended Vollum family -- all 22 members -- are trying to retrieve as many pieces as they can.

Just last week, in the middle of the trial, Loundree's boyfriend told detectives he buried a piece of the upper arm of "Mother and Child" in a shed outside the trailer. Remmick also showed police were he tossed another piece of the sculpture -- possibly the baby -- over a bluff and into some blackberry bushes near the Willamette River.

Upon hearing the news, Dorie Vollum said she's hoping to join searchers. The family plans to melt all the pieces they find, so they can be cast into a new work of art.

Well, it's happened AGAIN, and this time I'm taking it personal. I read about this in the newspaper Friday while I was up in Seattle, but I finally have the time to post this.
Two accused of stealing metal seats from Woodburn Dragstrip

Apparently chunks of metal bleacher seats look like the real thing.

After recognizing pieces from about five dozen seats, workers at Salem's Cherry City Metals grew suspicious of the two men trying to sell them as scrap and called the Marion County Sheriff's Office about 3:30 p.m. today.

Deputies soon arrested Danny Packer, 53, of Hubbard and Larry C. Mathews, 54, of Woodburn, on 50 counts each of first-degree theft and second-degree criminal mischief, said Sgt. Kristin Knutson, a sheriff's spokeswoman.

The arrests shed light on the recent theft of more than 300 aluminum bleacher seats -- 20 feet in length and valued at nearly $30,000 -- from the Woodburn Dragstrip.

The investigation is continuing as roughly 250 seats remain unaccounted for.

Why don't the fuzz just take these S.O.B.s out in the forest somewhere and just put a farking bullet in these a$$hole's heads, it's not like anyone would miss them anyways.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back