Race format idea (1 Viewer)

your right, if you cant run a top 16 number you are probably not gonna win, however look at current pro mod and think back to pro stock circa 1990's. the first 6 to 10 DNQ cars ran competitive numbers and with a little luck could go some rounds on raceday. my main point is its all about incentive, if you DNQ today you have zero chance of winning where if you run up against Q8 and above car, in rnd 1 (Sat second session) than at least u have a chance to 'tree' a guy or luck out on a single. it also may serve as an incentive to know if u gonna tow hundreds and hundreds of miles, that you are guaranteed a chance to race!

I guess I'm not seeing the upside, it's Pro Mod not Hobby Mod. Why should you be guaranteed a chance to race? You should have to earn a chance to race. We have classes that are all run and a hobby racer, or local runner can come to the national and be "guaranteed a chance to race" but the higher performance classes you should earn your place in the field.

And if you make three runs then round one Saturday afternoon win or go home. vs. the way it is now, you make four runs to qualify and if you're not in on the fourth run Saturday afternoon, then you have to go fast or go home.

Just my opinion,
Alan

The Pros should get two shots at each lane. It makes sense. As a comp racer, I dread the events where we might only get one shot at the track and we are assigned to the "supposed" crappy lane. I think the hidden agenda here is what can be done to make qualifying a bit more exciting. Yes the record runs, etc.. are great, but I really miss the classes having a bump spot. Be interesting to see how the final points would figure out if the Pros were to run a 8 car field.

I think todays format works. Two Q's on Friday and two Q's on Saturday pretty much makes sure you are going to get a few if not all 4 regardless of the weather which may wash out a session on one day or a whole day of qualifying. We have seen meets where due to weather there was only one session. Unfortunately the crystal ball doesn't work good enough yet to be able to predict what's going to happen whether it's a weather, curfew or numerous other reasons they are not able to run a Q
session{s}. With the change in track prep this year it's harder to get a handle on your tuneup. Just look at Hagan last week, if their was not a Q4 he wouldn't have qualified. We all want the best 16 cars to race and at times it takes 4 Q's to determine that.

If we are looking to make qualifying more exciting then low et needs to be limited. Often we see tuners are trying to push race day setup, if they smoke it then there is no reason to pedal. It makes sense from their standpoint, they are trying to figure out how to get every last bit out of the car. The fan in the stand gets annoyed at seeing a few dozen 300' passes.

Indy this year, we went through a couple of sessions where very few cars made full passes. There are then races where each qualifying session is good. Track conditions and weather are the major factors in this.

Qualifying could be tweaked in a few ways to increase the chance for full pulls in each session.

Just thinking out loud but some options could be

-Qualifying based on average et over all the attempts
-Qualifying based on average et over all the attempts BUT driver gets to drop their worst run
-Low ET still earns #1 spot, the rest are based on average
-Top 4 spots are based on low ET of each round. 5-16 are on average (If the same drive gets the low in more than 1 session, then one more spot goes to average. For example Clay has low ET of the first and second session.

Now, one possible down side is drivers pedaling. Ideally if going for average, tuners might not have the kill switch set to 11 but if they do lose traction there will be a greater need to pedal. While that can be exciting if two cars do it at once, it can also lead to more engine carnage and more downtime for cleanup.

To increase the value of the show on each day I kinda like the last 2 ideas above. You could still do the little points for top 3 each sessions. Might want to adjust qualifying point structure as well.

This will be a controversial suggestion because it's "not the way it's alwats been done," but one aspect of National Events that imo could use an overhaul is how the event schedule is set up. The 2 Friday, 2 Saturday, Finals on Sunday format could be changed.

At most, the "core" pro classes may get 22 entries nowdays. I see no good competition reason why 4 qualifying hits are needed, especially with so few entries. I would say the vast majority of TF, FC, and PS fields are 18 or fewer entries.

While 2 sessions should be enough to whittle a field of 18 down to 16, it seems to me a good compromise is run 2 Friday sessions, an early afternoon Saturday session, and have Round 1 between 4:30-5:30 to end between 10-11, depending on time zone. (For live tv, broadcasts an EST event could be scheduled to end by 11 local time and CST event end at 10 local time).

Of course, not every event needs to be ran on Saturday (Jegs weekend at Route 66 would be a Sunday Finals event for example), but to add variety to the schedule and eliminate needless qualifying sessions (again, no competition reason imo to set a 16 car field from an average of 18 entries with 4 qualifying sessions), if several Saturday evening Finals were added, I believe fan interest would go through the roof. The 4-wide races would be ideal for this type of format.
Horrible idea!

I think its hilarious.......All you hear is don't copy Nascar. This thread its all well Nascar does this do what Nascar does blah blah blah... Wow people make up your minds! LMAO

A couple of ideas, have a burnout competition during one pro session. the other is award a point or two for making all qualifying sessions.

I think its hilarious.......All you hear is don't copy Nascar. This thread its all well Nascar does this do what Nascar does blah blah blah... Wow people make up your minds! LMAO
Unless you point out particular people who have did this it is unfair to blanket everyone for doing it.
Just asking.......do you ever post anything positive or only attack people for their opinions. Cheer up. Life sucks when you are miserable all the time.

At the March Meet and the Hot Rod Reunion in Bakersfield CA the nostalgia nitro cars do 2 qualifying runs on Fri and 1 on Sat morning and then first round on Sat night. Fri and Sat have a lot of cars and a lot of fans, but Sun is like a ghost town there. Unless I'm working on a car I very seldom go to the track on Sun just because half of the cars are already eliminated and it just isn't worth the trip back out to the track even though I have credentials to get in for free . I usually just sleep in a little later at the hotel, go have a good breakfast at Zingos and then head home to watch a NASCAR race on tv.

Last edited:
no matter how many new ideas us armchair fans come up with, most are just not going to happen. but there is one situation that still easily can play out.
not at all races, in fact probably only a handful, and the teams have to stay later, maybe later than they are comfortable......night time qualifying....OR?...eliminations.
header flames at nite. they still happen. they are taller than ever before. they really are awesome to see live. especially the difference in light and sound speed for
fans watching from down track......there's such a difference in what you see and then hear, it's almost like the FOX broadcasts! :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back