Race format idea (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
This will be a controversial suggestion because it's "not the way it's alwats been done," but one aspect of National Events that imo could use an overhaul is how the event schedule is set up. The 2 Friday, 2 Saturday, Finals on Sunday format could be changed.

At most, the "core" pro classes may get 22 entries nowdays. I see no good competition reason why 4 qualifying hits are needed, especially with so few entries. I would say the vast majority of TF, FC, and PS fields are 18 or fewer entries.

While 2 sessions should be enough to whittle a field of 18 down to 16, it seems to me a good compromise is run 2 Friday sessions, an early afternoon Saturday session, and have Round 1 between 4:30-5:30 to end between 10-11, depending on time zone. (For live tv, broadcasts an EST event could be scheduled to end by 11 local time and CST event end at 10 local time).

Of course, not every event needs to be ran on Saturday (Jegs weekend at Route 66 would be a Sunday Finals event for example), but to add variety to the schedule and eliminate needless qualifying sessions (again, no competition reason imo to set a 16 car field from an average of 18 entries with 4 qualifying sessions), if several Saturday evening Finals were added, I believe fan interest would go through the roof. The 4-wide races would be ideal for this type of format.

So you're saying have national events go from four qualifying sessions down to three? As a spectator... no thanks!

Yes, that's the proposal. Again, what is the competition reasoning for 4 sessions to eliminate an average of 2 cars... or in some cases 0 cars when there are 16 or fewer entries?

And when it's less than 16 cars I know I want every chance to get that #1 qualifier spot and get the bye round. As for spectators, we want to see nitro...as much as possible. Also sponsors don't like having less airtime.

The only way this would make sense is if it was a cost savings measure for the pro teams. In that scenario, you have all 3 hits on Saturday (hopefully Q3 under the lights) and elems as always on Sunday. In theory, this would save the teams a night worth of hotels, meals, one less qualifying attempt wear and tear, etc. Now, the shocking reason it'll never happen. No one would be there Friday to buy a hot dog... follow the money.

The way it's set up now, everyone gets 2 hits in each lane, and 4 chances to improve their starting position on race day. Your way reduces their chances to improve and set up for race day. Thumbs down on that idea.

K
And when it's less than 16 cars I know I want every chance to get that #1 qualifier spot and get the bye round. As for spectators, we want to see nitro...as much as possible. Also sponsors don't like having less airtime.

So.... Nascar can qualify 40 cars with one run....even factoring out the franchise teams.... Indy Car can get by with 1 or 2 attempts...., every other drag racing organization I can think of can set a field in 2 or 3 attempts, and NHRA's own LODRS can set a field in 2 or 3 hits. Why do 18 nitro cars need 4 attempts to set a 16 car field when 20 or more TAD cars, for example, can set a field with 3. What's the competition reason for 4 attempts with few (or no) cars to eliminate to set a field?

Yes, that's the proposal. Again, what is the competition reasoning for 4 sessions to eliminate an average of 2 cars... or in some cases 0 cars when there are 16 or fewer entries?

Besides making it a more marketable day of racing, the biggest reason, IMO, is to give the crew chiefs the most opportunity to dial in their cars for that particular track and those particular conditions. This makes for a much better race for everyone. Imagine how many cars would smoke the tires with minimal qualifying runs?

The way it's set up now, everyone gets 2 hits in each lane, and 4 chances to improve their starting position on race day. Your way reduces their chances to improve and set up for race day. Thumbs down on that idea.
Why could this same logic not be applied in all NHRA divisions?

i would abolish the 16 car qualified field all together and adopt an all run format. have 3 rounds of qualifying with the top 8 or so getting a bye first round and the remaining cars race each other for a spot in the finals. this would work especially for the burgeoning pro mod and factory stock classes as i'm sure the dozen or so guys, that dont qualify are getting tired of towing hundreds of miles, race after race and not getting to compete. I'm sure, not qualifying gets old real fast and the classes will eventually end up like pro stock. as a bonus it would also add a bit of excitement to the current 'God awful' qualifying show

Again, what is the competition reasoning for 4 sessions to eliminate an average of 2 cars... or in some cases 0 cars when there are 16 or fewer entries?

I dont care if they have 8 qualifying sessions..... just dont REDUCE the number of nitro passes the paying spectator gets to see. If you reduce the show, the ticket price should also be reduced. Again, this is my spectator point of view. If I was a team owner, I may feel different but I'm not....

i would abolish the 16 car qualified field all together and adopt an all run format. have 3 rounds of qualifying with the top 8 or so getting a bye first round and the remaining cars race each other for a spot in the finals. this would work especially for the burgeoning pro mod and factory stock classes as i'm sure the dozen or so guys, that dont qualify are getting tired of towing hundreds of miles, race after race and not getting to compete. I'm sure, not qualifying gets old real fast and the classes will eventually end up like pro stock. as a bonus it would also add a bit of excitement to the current 'God awful' qualifying show

Genuinely curious, if a car is too slow to qualify, what makes you think it will be fast enough to win? And isn't qualifying "Racing for a spot in the field"?
Alan

How much "practice" time does Nascar get??
I honestly dont know.

The race in Dover is pretty typical, they get 1 hour of practice, then they qualify on Friday. And Saturday they get an hour practice in the morning, and final practice is another hour in the afternoon. So 3 hours practice time plus qualifying. And you can make 100 laps, or zero, whatever you feel you need.

Alan

Just to throw something out. I used to go to big shows at OCIR. the format was gates open around 1 PM. Q started in the afternoon for T/F, F/C and say, Combo Elim (Pro Comp). OK, 3 classes the spectators liked. Elims ran at night. So if the spectators wanted to see nitro runs, show up early for Q and then watch three 16-car shows. Racing over around midnight, and you got your moneys worth. I dunno if this type of race would work with NHRA, especially because of the sportsmen racing. also don't know if it would work because of curfews at some tracks. I really miss night racing. Miss the flames from the nitro cars, as that was a big part of the show. I'd like to see NHRA try night racing, especially in the summer. A track could run 4 Q during the day & race at night, or maybe Q on Friday night & race on Sat night. Well, just my 2 cents. Am thinking of what classes the spectators really want to see & how night racing could enhance the show.

The race in Dover is pretty typical, they get 1 hour of practice, then they qualify on Friday. And Saturday they get an hour practice in the morning, and final practice is another hour in the afternoon. So 3 hours practice time plus qualifying. And you can make 100 laps, or zero, whatever you feel you need.

Alan
Thanks Alan for the info.

Also meant no disrespect to you on my NHRA crack, I failed to use the proper punctuation (smiley face/ emoji thingy...) to convey my attempt at humor... :p
original post has been edited... ;)

So what do you think of Friday test and tune, and 3 shots to qualify on Saturday?
That way qualifying is all under the (mostly) same conditions, and not the "good" session on Friday night?
I know, someone won't like that, just throwing it out for discussion.

Genuinely curious, if a car is too slow to qualify, what makes you think it will be fast enough to win? And isn't qualifying "Racing for a spot in the field"?
Alan
your right, if you cant run a top 16 number you are probably not gonna win, however look at current pro mod and think back to pro stock circa 1990's. the first 6 to 10 DNQ cars ran competitive numbers and with a little luck could go some rounds on raceday. my main point is its all about incentive, if you DNQ today you have zero chance of winning where if you run up against Q8 and above car, in rnd 1 (Sat second session) than at least u have a chance to 'tree' a guy or luck out on a single. it also may serve as an incentive to know if u gonna tow hundreds and hundreds of miles, that you are guaranteed a chance to race!

The nitro cars and Harleys are the entertainment. The rest is filler. You can't charge people big bucks to get in the gate then cut the entertainment.

So what do you think of Friday test and tune, and 3 shots to qualify on Saturday?.
Or, maybe Finals could be on Saturday at some events. I just don't see why 23 of 24 races have to be run on Sunday, and all 24 during the day. Not every event needs to run Saturday under the lights, but if some did that would be a good thing imho.

Out of 24 race weekends, surely there are at least a few tha5t don't have major sports ( or just motorsports events) to compete with. Ie- if the July Daytona Cup race in primetime, then an NHRA event on Saturday night may not work. If NASCAR runs Martinsville or Talladega on Sunday, then if an NHRA race is those weekends, perhaps a Saturday prime time race on the mothership is something Fox might go for.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back