Questions about Ontario Motor Speedway (1 Viewer)

The Swegian

Nitro Member
In pictures and old videos I've seen of the World Finals that once were ran at the now defunct Ontario Motor Speedway, it appears the drag strip ran down the inside of the oval track. I know the oval track was similar in configuration to the Brickyard. Was this indeed the case, that the strip ran in the infield? If so, was it placed alongside the front straightaway and was the strip used as pit road for the NASCAR/Indy cars? Were there temporary grandstands set up for the drag races (other than the permanent ones set back across the oval track)?

In pictures and old videos I've seen of the World Finals that once were ran at the now defunct Ontario Motor Speedway, it appears the drag strip ran down the inside of the oval track. I know the oval track was similar in configuration to the Brickyard. Was this indeed the case, that the strip ran in the infield? If so, was it placed alongside the front straightaway and was the strip used as pit road for the NASCAR/Indy cars? Were there temporary grandstands set up for the drag races (other than the permanent ones set back across the oval track)?

Mark, in the first couple that I went to, yep, the strip was pit row... And I sat in Aluminum seating on the 'pit' side about 200 feet out... think those seats were still there when I went to an indy car race there in the late 70's... (PPG freebie seats just before turn one)...

does that help?
d'kid

I think OMS was identical in size to Indy, according to one of the Unser's anyway. Shame that place lasted just 10 years!

It was the host to a couple of great concerts though :D

Actually, OMS was one of the tracks that I used to hand out Time Slips.

It was a great facility.

And if you were on fire and had no chutes, you had to go out on the main track and try to make turn one.

It was the host to a couple of great concerts though :D

Actually, OMS was one of the tracks that I used to hand out Time Slips.

It was a great facility.

You referring to Cal Jam I & II??? I heard those pulled in over 100,000 each!

Jay, Dave Benjamin ended up on Fire one year and his car came to a stop at the Turn 1 wall!

Here are a few pictures from both sides of the track, they were shot at the 79 World Finals

02.JPG

53.JPG

60.JPG

the bench seats from the grandstand are in denver @ bandimere...when i sit in them i almost think i'm back in the inland empire;)

Thanks for posting those Gary! It forced me to scan some of mine...

And how bizarre is this first one! Same run you posted, and I'm fairly sure it was the funny car final.

The really neat thing back then was anyone could wander down to the shut off area without credentials. I was 17 when I shot these...

Anyone name the guy in the straw hat talking with Shirley?

And in Gary's first picture of Tom Abbott blowing up you can see Kaiser Steel in the background off in the distance. That is where California Speedway is located today.

This one is my favorite...

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those Gary! It forced me to scan some of mine...

And how bizarre is this first one! Same run you posted, and I'm fairly sure it was the funny car final.

The really neat thing back then was anyone could wander down to the shut off area without credentials. I was 17 when I shot these...

Anyone name the guy in the straw hat talking with Shirley?

Dave Mcclelland ?

Yep, I would say they pics are interesting of the same pair of cars just different photographers, lol. I have more pictures of the events and quite a few from the pits but I would hate to bore everyone with them. That was our first trip to Ontario from Texas and the folowwing year we went back with our car.

Yep, I would say they pics are interesting of the same pair of cars just different photographers, lol. I have more pictures of the events and quite a few from the pits but I would hate to bore everyone with them. That was our first trip to Ontario from Texas and the folowwing year we went back with our car.

I dout you are going to bore people with the pictures , I would love to see them

Great shots! This brings back so many memories! My Mom worked at the track with the PR department, and being a young man with full run of the place for all those years was awesome. This is were I started taking pics of race cars. So many great NHRA, NASCAR, and INDY events.

I have hundreds of slides and B&W pics from all the events at the track. And yes, the Cal Jams also!

Here is a link to some pics I just put together real quick... Enjoy

ClarkOdenPhotography's photos and albums on webshots

Clark

Thanks everyone for answering my questions, and especially for sharing the pictures.

Joe, indeed, a travesty this place only lasted for such a short time.

U want'em, you got'em....................

10.jpg

The other end of the track

11.jpg

Jerry Ruth losing a blower

12.jpg

A fresh Rodeck, the reason we went to Ontario

13.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back