Question for you guys (1 Viewer)

Joker

Nitro Member
Ok, my wife has a 2002 Honda CRV (suv). When we bought it we paid down $4k on it so we didnt get a warranty on it except for the one that came with it, 3 yrs 30k miles I believe if I remember right.

Anyways, 3 months ago the AC unit went out along with a fuel sensor and something else plus to get its 50k check up. I took it in, and it was going to be $2200 to fix it all. I told the dealership I would talk to my wife and call them back. 10 minutes later the guy calls me back and says, I have good news Mr League, since you have bought several cars from us (04,05 Hondas)we are going to fix it for free for you. I just said ok and it didnt cost me a dime. Now I dont believe for a minute that they just did it out of the kindness of their heart. So I looked up recalls on it and there wasnt any. I didnt ask questions, I was just glad I wasnt out $2200 and when I picked it up it said Warranty on the papers.

Well this past week I smelt a burning smell and a light on the dash came on so I took it back in to be checked. Apparently my burning smell that I couldnt find for 2 days was a plastic sack got up under there some where and melted and thats what I smelt. Anyways, the light that came on was the airbag/seatbelt restraint system light. Not exactly sure what the problem was b/c they fixed it again and didnt charge me anything. The guy calls last Friday and said he was having a hard time finding my warranty and I said its b/c I dont have one. He said ok, I will get back to you on the price. So Sat when I went to pick it up the lady said, no charge sir its still under warranty.

WTF? I dont mind not paying for things at all but its peaked my interest. Why are they costing themselves money? What warranty are they using? Is there something really wrong with my car that I need to know about? etc.

I dont buy the "youve bought several cars" line. The only thing I can think of is about 6 months ago we got a letter in the mail from a lawyers office about a suit against Honda for our year model car that basically said they had set the odometer to add miles faster than what was actually driven and that we were entitled to join the litigation. Well I'm not a sue happy person and the car has really not given me any problems other than just minor things until the ac went out so I just threw the papers away. So maybe its b/c of that, I dont know.

Any ideas?

Honda warranty is 3/36,Honda is very well known for good willing stuff,I know trust me,lol. As for the seatbelts and seat belt buckles they are lifetime warranty,some Honda's have a OPDS unit extended warrnty which is part of the sefety restraint system.

I wouldn't be so quick to throw out the idea of customer "goodwill". Especially with your having bought 2 other vehicles from them. Some dealerships will goodwill the hell out of a car knowing that you've purchased and could possibly purchase more in the future. That $2200 turns into pennies pretty quick in their eyes. Lots of dealerships are willing to "eat" $2200 for customer loyalty.

At our dealership, if a customer is a regular we will to bat for them on just about anything. Goodwill can go a long ways towards keeping a customer. 55% of our business is referal from previous customers.

The AC deal thru me I guess. I dont know. I just didnt see them doing it out of the kindness of there heart but maybe so. I didnt realize that its that widespread of a deal. I know they covered the seatbelt deal b/c its there part but anyways. Thanks, I thought I was just missing something.

It is funny you guys mention "goodwill." My father just had the opposite experience. He has purchased his and my mom's last 4 cars at the same dealership, he has also used the same salesman (Harry) and has followed him to 3 different dealerships. Through his own business as a consultant he has referred 4 others to the same dealer. He figures he has given/sent them over 200K worth of business. So he is now in the market for a new car. He goes to the dealership and they give him a price of 25K including his trade etc. He is then driving by another dealership and stops in, right off the bat that dealership comes in almost 4k less and they will throw in the remote car starter. Needless to say my dad got a little pissed that they would screw around with a loyal customer. He contacted the original dealership told them what was up and got the runaround with the sales manager. They would only budge a little. Harry apologized and said the sales manager was new and was trying to make a name for himself at the dealership. My dad decided to buy at the second dealership and just before he signed the papers the sales manager from the first place called back and offered him the car for 400 more then the second place but he would have to pay for the remote starter. My dad said if that is the way you treat a loyal customer he could stick it. He then called Harry to apologize and to say it was nothing personal, which he understood and said if he changes dealerships to let him know.

Last edited:
My grilfriend is a service manager at a Honda dealership. What they did for you is normal for her place. They goodwill something every week. I've seen them install new motors and trans. They have a CSI(Customor satifaction index) on every tickit they do. This is compiled from a survey done by Honda. They get bonus when it is over 95%. So they work with the factory rep to keep you happy. Plus Honda is a good company to deal with and have good cars.:)

Justin, take the money and run (so to speak)! There is someone just around the corner to treat your patronage the opposite way!

My grilfriend is a service manager at a Honda dealership. What they did for you is normal for her place. They goodwill something every week. I've seen them install new motors and trans. They have a CSI(Customor satifaction index) on every tickit they do. This is compiled from a survey done by Honda. They get bonus when it is over 95%. So they work with the factory rep to keep you happy. Plus Honda is a good company to deal with and have good cars.:)

Honda does make a good car. We have 3 and they havent really given us any problem. Just the ac and the fuel sensor and now the seatbelt thing. Thats really it. I guess in todays world I was just surprised that a big company does things like that.

And Kelly, I didnt ask. I just said Thanks and when they send me a survey like they always do I will mark it excellent. It just peaked my interest as to why they were doing it.

When my '84 VW GTI got tagged at 2:15 AM in a Hit and run in front of my home, I thought for sure my Insurance Co. would give me Maybe(?) $300-400 for the car since it 267,000 on it! When they gave me a check for $2,200 I immediately went to the bank to Cash it Just in case they made a mistake!:eek:

Your exactly right about the 95%,Honda dealers can goodwill almost anything with less than 50k,usually after that you call your rep,which will almost always cover it depending on your service history,or maybe he will pay parts and cust pays labor,kinda like a split in a way

At our dealership, if a customer is a regular we will to bat for them on just about anything. Goodwill can go a long ways towards keeping a customer. 55% of our business is referal from previous customers.

Mike - a very good observation. I'm on my fourth vehicle from Coulter GMC/Cadillac here in Tempe. 12 years - same salesman and service advisor. Buying a vehicle from the right dealer could be more important than the best price. Paid full retail for my C5 Vette and got treated like s$$$ by our local Chevy dealer.

I took my truck in to the dealer for a normal service (oil/filter/lube etc) and when they brought me the paperwork, they said "No charge" ..I thought BONUS!! Then they explained that the technician "broke my side mirror" and that they had to order another one and of course there would be no charge for installing it...You;re darned right there will be no charge on a 1 year old truck!! Anyway they did replace it...the whole assembly (and it's all electric and moveable and heatered etc). Just was annoying.

The hard part for me with the dealers now is they keep sending me coupons in the mail for extremely discounted services and maintenance but have the little disclaimer at the bottom that "Hemi engines not included"...I have called and sent emails to their marketing department asking to please take my name off your lists for sending me advertising as I'm not your target audience...save some money!! but they don't listen...oh well...

T

I took my truck in to the dealer for a normal service (oil/filter/lube etc) and when they brought me the paperwork, they said "No charge" ..I thought BONUS!! Then they explained that the technician "broke my side mirror" and that they had to order another one and of course there would be no charge for installing it...You;re darned right there will be no charge on a 1 year old truck!! Anyway they did replace it...the whole assembly (and it's all electric and moveable and heatered etc). Just was annoying.

The hard part for me with the dealers now is they keep sending me coupons in the mail for extremely discounted services and maintenance but have the little disclaimer at the bottom that "Hemi engines not included"...I have called and sent emails to their marketing department asking to please take my name off your lists for sending me advertising as I'm not your target audience...save some money!! but they don't listen...oh well...

T

:D - keep getting reminders from the dealer that my three year old SRX (with all of 24,000 miles) is overdue for engine, transmission and brake system "flushes". I DO get a coupon for free tire rotation - SRX is like a vette with different wheels front and back and four different tires. You can't rotate the tires. And . . . Caddy dealer is replacing the front tires for the second time because they can't figure out why the outside shoulders are down to the cords again. High speed rated Michelins ain't cheap - its not a surprise that American manufacturers are losing billions.
If I fell for this "flushing" BS, I'll bet the service order would include the free rotation - :rolleyes:

:D - keep getting reminders from the dealer that my three year old SRX (with all of 24,000 miles) is overdue for engine, transmission and brake system "flushes". I DO get a coupon for free tire rotation - SRX is like a vette with different wheels front and back and four different tires. You can't rotate the tires. And . . . Caddy dealer is replacing the front tires for the second time because they can't figure out why the outside shoulders are down to the cords again. High speed rated Michelins ain't cheap - its not a surprise that American manufacturers are losing billions.
If I fell for this "flushing" BS, I'll bet the service order would include the free rotation - :rolleyes:

Like I said in my emails to the dealer.."Why don't you target your audience..you'd make a lot more bang for your buck"...but I guess their philosophy is just throw money and we'll make a killing!! I guess..if thats what works for them......but then again..who am I? I'm just a guitar player :D

T

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back